Citizenship by heritage

I just found out my mother was born in Toronto In 1941. I was raised by Canadian grandparents living in United States. We often visited Nova Scotia when I was a child. I was joking about moving to a lawyer friend and she says "you're a citizen". Is it that easy? Bring my birth certificate showing mother born in Canada?

There have been many changes recently to the Canadian Citizenship by Descent Laws. (In 2009 and 2015)

Here is a link to the Canadian immigration site that refers to the changes. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/rules_2009.asp (it has updates for 2015 as well.)

There is a specific segment on the page titled "Amendments to the Citizenship Act limit citizenship by descent". It should clarify your position, even though it's a bit "legalese"y. I would suggest contacting an reputable immigration lawyer or even the Canadian government directly to clarify; there should be  contact information on the link I gave you.  (PS the "english" in the link title refers to language, not nationality.)

Good luck!

It effects second generation.

Thank you