Needing builder and insurance contacts

Hello all...have not used this forum much, but really appreciate all the great info I have read since getting on here.  My wife and I have a piece of property in Canoa that we hope to build on in 2 to 4 years.  I will be in country the 12th through the 16.  Can anyone refer me to a good builder (who speaks English) or good insurance agents (who speak English) that I might meet with in Quito, Manta or Canoa itself while in country.  I want to start building rapport with some key folks.  Thank you in advance for your help.

I can't offer a builder or insurance agent who speak English. However, I have an alternative solution. English here is limited, you are targeting a small market, maybe 5% or less, and they know that. If you don't plan on building in 2-4 years and you're living here, hire a tutor to teach you limited but focused Spanish in the vocabulary you're interested in (in this case building a house). Your small investment in learning limited Spanish might save you 10-25% (maybe more) of costs because you'll be able to communicate directly with the entire market of builders. The lowest cost builders will absolutely be Spanish only speakers.

2nd option is simply hire a translator.

My thinking is why limit yourself to builders who speak English in a Spanish speaking country.

Just an opinion.

Ok...very good point.  I do speak some Spanish and now how to conjugate verbs and find the words I need, but just didn't feel comfortable talking about something as technical as building a home.  But you are right...and I guess when I am not face to face with the builder and translator, I can use Spanish to English translating websites to facilitate email communication.  I live in Tennessee currently so we will be doing this from afar.  So any recommendations for builders in the Canoa area who only speak Spanish?  I understand that since the earthquake in April, new building standards are being implemented across the country.  Any idea on average cost per square for or meter to build?

The question is not so much of new building standards after the earthquake as following the existing ones, not cutting corners and using substandard materials.....

AMDG wrote:

The question is not so much of new building standards after the earthquake as following the existing ones, not cutting corners and using substandard materials.....

Interesting point. Have often wondered how many buildings really meet building standards? Not just referring to Ecuador, but all over the world. Thirld World/Developing Nations probably wouldn't be a surprise if many buildings don't meet standards, but would be curious how many buildings in first world countries really meet the standard requirements?

Mike Machaskee wrote:

Ok...very good point.  I do speak some Spanish and now how to conjugate verbs and find the words I need, but just didn't feel comfortable talking about something as technical as building a home.  But you are right...and I guess when I am not face to face with the builder and translator, I can use Spanish to English translating websites to facilitate email communication.  I live in Tennessee currently so we will be doing this from afar.  So any recommendations for builders in the Canoa area who only speak Spanish?  I understand that since the earthquake in April, new building standards are being implemented across the country.  Any idea on average cost per square for or meter to build?

I have one contact that was constructing a small building in Quito Tenis that is earth-quake proof upto a magnitude 8. I'll find the pic and PM the info later this afternoon.

Just something to consider, last night the coast around Esmeraldes had an 5.8 earthquake as reported by Instituto Geofísico. It was strong enough that it shook my building in Quito at about 2:00 a.m. I am not sure if it was an aftershock of the big April one or a new earthquake. I mention this because after feeling it I looked at Instituto Geofísico's twitter and there were continuous aftershock activity resulting from the 5.8, ranging from 5 to 3's.