Curious about relocating to Santander

I am a 1st class, Journeyman Machinist with over 20 years experience in "manual" machining.
I also am a Professional Truck Driver with over 10 years.

Learning Spanish!

Do I have any chance of success?

Hi mate,

First of all, congratulations on choosing Santander as your destination/place to live - in my experience here in Colombia, it's a fantastic department which has everything from the big city to the landscapes to the food and most importantly to the people.
As regards to your experience and job prospects, that's not so good. Spanish is an absolute necessity, but most importantly you need contacts, lots of good contacts. Without that you're scratching around in the dark.
I have a friend who's a Machining/Lathe/CNC Instructor for the National training institute here in Colombia - SENA in Bucaramanga. If you want I could pass your details on to him, let me know.
Cheers,
Ricky

Thanks Mate. I am primarily a Manual Machinist with experience in all kinds of materials and close tolerance work but I also have about 3-4 years setting up and running Mazak C.N.C. machining centers.
In the U.S., I really enjoy driving a tractor trailer but my Colombian fiance thinks that drivers don't get paid very well.
Do you have any insight on what a Professional Driver might earn there?

Chuck

Wouldn't have clue mate, but I imagine they're a dime a dozen, so you'd probably be disappointed.
The best ways to make a living here, in my experience, are:
1. Have a tidy sum of money to carefully invest in a profitable business, of which there are many - Property included. (Caution - this is Colombia with many traps for young players)
2. Teach English, for which you'll ideally need a teaching qualification such as CELTA or TOEFL.

That's what I reckon, anyway.

Thanks Ricky.
Any advice on the best software to learn Spanish?
I am 53 years old, by the way