Broadband and Cell Phone Usage

Advice required....
I arrive soon for work in Libya (Misurata) but want to buy the most efficient cell phone and broadband. My family are in UK so I want to buy the best (cheapest) network for international calls. Can anyone offer any advice? I use Skype but I am advised it's not permitted by the company (maybe by law)whom I will work for.

If you can't use a company machine, get a cheap netbook and a wifi dongle here. After the initial hit, all your calls will be free.

Many thanks.....what's the wifi availability/coverage like?

in Musrata buy WiMax Dongle
Speed 2mb/s
Data 15GB/month
Cost 40LYD/Month = £20/month
then you will be able to use skype-to-skype calls.
skype-to-phone calls are blocked by LTT

many thanks that's great news

It's a WiMax dongle, not WiFi.
WiFi WiMax

Sleepy Hollow wrote:

in Musrata buy WiMax Dongle
Speed 2mb/s
Data 15GB/month
Cost 40LYD/Month = £20/month
then you will be able to use skype-to-skype calls.
skype-to-phone calls are blocked by LTT

No they aren't sleepy, I make many phone calls back to UK landlines, mainly to my old technophobe Mum who couldn't even use a Skype enabled mobile :lol:

Clansman wrote:

No they aren't sleepy, I make many phone calls back to UK landlines, mainly to my old technophobe Mum who couldn't even use a Skype enabled mobile :lol:

Aha good to hear that. in my recent years in Libya LTT was blocking all VoIP services.

I m using Jumblo (internet call provider) in my smart phone without any problem. It works with WiMax. Calling USA, Canada and some other countries are free and other rates are not so expensive.
here is the link

http://www.jumblo.com

Aqu - I am wondering what type of smart phone you use with Jumblo and if you use a wireless provider sim card when you are away from your wimax network? I am having problems configuring my Nokia E72 for voip calls. I can get localphone and sipgate to work on my computer but not on my phone. Trying Jumblo next since they have an app for Nokia phones, so thanks for the tip.

Jumblo is just internet call provider you should download Nimbuzz, Fring or other application (allowed to SIP call) to make a phone to phone / phone to PC call. You need wireless internet connection (for high quality) and mobile phone have a WiFi. Sometimes I can connect even with Madar (local service) and talk with low quality. But once for all I able to talk. Nimbuzz and Fring can work with almost every mobile and smarth phones include E 72. You should try it.

try using igoogle or Gmail...or is that against company policy as well?
:)

Forgive me if I'm going to put my foot in it but if one has a VPN, surely then you can use Skype to landline and Skype to Skype??  In Dubai Skype is totally blocked but we all have VPN and we all use it anyway :-)

dinky wrote:

Forgive me if I'm going to put my foot in it but if one has a VPN, surely then you can use Skype to landline and Skype to Skype??  In Dubai Skype is totally blocked but we all have VPN and we all use it anyway :-)

The Libyans aren't quite as advanced as their Gulf brothers....

Oh OK Gotcha :-)