Coming to visit to look over several cities for retiring.

Hi everyone!

I'm looking for some feedback from all of you that are already living in Ecuador.  I'm coming this summer for about a month to look around for a place that I may wish to settle.  I'm a professional Chef, and want somewhere safe, that may also be a great place to open a tiny little bakery/cafe.  I'd like to be close to a major city, and possibly close to the beach.

I've already contacted an immigration attorney and shipping agent, who I plan to meet in person when I visit, so I think that info is covered.  I've also gotten help from the local consulate.   

I'm most curious about being able to find everything I need there.  I'm just going to sell everything and ship a couple of boxes of personal items when I finally move.  It's too expensive to ship a container, and way too complicated. 

Anything anyone can advise?  Can I find a decent private rental property for the prices I'm reading about?  I don't want anything elaborate - just about 600 square feet, clean and pest-free. 

I welcome all information from areas close to Guayaquil, Cotacachi, Montanita, Olan, etc........

Thanks!  P.

Hi P HarpHill,

Welcome on Expat-blog! :)

I hope other members will share their expat experience with you very soon.

I wish you good luck
Christine

Hello Harp

I live in Cuenca, i'm ecuatorian.
My wife is a chef also, and I believe we can help you a little

I work with expats, before, during and after the journey.
I also have a very good attorney that charges a reasonable price for your papers and visa.

If you want, I can give you a hand with places as well. I know some very beautiful apartments at the beach for sale. I own an apartment in this building, it has swimming pools, tennis courts, steam bath, turkish bath, the whole nine yards.

Let me know if I can help.

[email protected]

Regards

If you plan on opening a coffee/pastry shop, you might want to rethink your plan to sell everything.  A lot of the things you use are expensive here and hard to find.