Our family is relocating to Barcelona from the USA

We have two children and none of us speak Spanish.  We would love guidence in where to live near other American expat's, where to educate our children, info regarding language schools, sports activities for our children...we need help with just about everything.

Wow! Big move! Congrats, and good luck.
How/why did you decide on Barcelona? ... work related?
I'm originally from NJ and have been in Barcelona since 1999 ... great place ... not always as easy as back over yonder, but it's still a great place.

I've got 2 kids too, and they luckily both speak Spanish ... as well as English and Catalan.  (Look into the Catalan topic, just so it doesn't catch you off guard)

When are you relocating? What are some more of your details? What plans ideas do you have for schooling?  How old are your kids?

There's no real "American neighborhood" if that's what you were looking for ... we seem to be scattered all over the city ...

Looking forward to hearing more. (and being of help if I can)

We may move as early as spring.  I am trying to figure out schools, neighborhoods in which to rent, how, (if possible), to bring our 2 dogs...We don't speak Spanish.  I took French in HS, but tested out for college. Sadly, I don't remember very much French. My husband speaks arabic as well as English, but that won't help much either.  Ah well, I guess it will do us good to learn other languages, however difficult that might prove. Is there a big and tight knit expat community?  We currently live in Birmingham, AL which I detest.  Prior to moving to AL, we spent 6 years in South FL.  It is very multicultural there with many options for schools.  Do your children attend public or private schools?  We are possibly moving with my husbands company.  He is trying to decide if it makes sense or not.  In the meantime, I need to figure out the best way of assimilating as a family in case we do make the move.

Hi, hmom.

Are you still considering to move here? If so, let me know and I'll try to help, I am local so may be able to offer some useful tips.

Kinds regards.

I don't know if you are looking to put your children in Spanish/Catalan schools but there is an American school, here is the website: a-s-b.com

I am currently living in BCN and will be for some time to come.  I don't have kids but if you ever need a sitter, friend, or restaurant suggestion or something just message me.  I have a really relaxed schedule.

Best of luck!

I have to say that it is a big move and if you are thinking of raising your kids in English only - you may have to really think about your decision. Barcelona is wonderful and I love it here but you have to keep in mind that English is not widely spoken. Most tourist spots do speak some English but it is handy to know the language so you can get around. But on the other hand, you will find very nice people here to help you settle if you do decide to come to BCN. You won't be alone.

Hi Hmom

We are a family of 4 and moving to Brcelona by July.  We currently have our kids enrolled in American school of Barcelona.  We are in the same boat as you, have a lot of questions and would love to share stories as we get imbedded in life there.

I hope to hear from you
Lance / Hideyo
[email protected]

Have any of you made it to  Barcelona yet My 20 yr old son flew in today and boy he should of planned it more lol. Anyways he is at a hostel house ? for the night he should of booked it for more days and his phone don't work there,to call his only friend he knows there ,im looking for a cheap flat (apartment) for the month he wants to stay till august,any help or advice i could give him would be Highly appreciated >Thanx in advance Michael sr.

A good choice for family life is Sant Cugat, 20 min away from Bcn, its a wealthy town with fair number of expats in the neighbourhood and many activities for children,... you may also find a few private english speaking schools, I believe that the most wanted is the International EUROPA School.

Hope that helps.  By the way, I moved to Sant Cugat a year ago and I wouls not change a single step.