Close

Taxes on global income and global assets for Colombian Residents

Encanta Medellin. I have been in Laureles for several months. I WISH I could live here.  I am happy here and have all I ever dreamed of.

If you stay here for 184 days in any 12-month period for any reason and under any visa then you become a TAX RESIDENT. You must file a tax return in Colombia declaring all assets globally and pay an asset tax, a small percentage of global assets. This includes traditional and Roth IRAs. You must pay a tax on global income including Social Security benefits and IRA distributions. Further, it is presumed that you have a minimum income of 3% of your global assets, and you must pay a tax on that whether or not you actually had any income.

I think that Colombia does not want retirees lounging about in Cafe Revolucion. It is probably better for a young person with no money, no skills, no education, no prospects - the less the better. I love it here, but I'm surprised I'm not alone.

See you all again in six months.

SanMarcos :

If you stay here for 184 days in any 12-month period for any reason and under any visa then you become a TAX RESIDENT. You must file a tax return in Colombia declaring all assets globally and pay an asset tax, a small percentage of global assets. This includes traditional and Roth IRAs. You must pay a tax on global income including Social Security benefits and IRA distributions. Further, it is presumed that you have a minimum income of 3% of your global assets, and you must pay a tax on that whether or not you actually had any income.

According to my calculations from the Colombian tax chart, I would have to pay 33 percent of my worldwide income to Colombia for any 12-month period in which I was in-country for 184-plus days.

That might be in addition to the global-assets tax that San Marcos posted on.

-- cccmedia, resident of Ecuador where I pay no income tax ..
     nor do I pay federal income tax to my country of citizenship, USA. 
     Posted from Medellín.

Thanks for your reply.

SanMarcos :

If you stay here for 184 days in any 12-month period for any reason and under any visa then you become a TAX RESIDENT. You must file a tax return in Colombia declaring all assets globally and pay an asset tax, a small percentage of global assets. This includes traditional and Roth IRAs. You must pay a tax on global income, including Social Security benefits and IRA distributions. Further, it is presumed that you have a minimum income of 3% of your global assets, and you must pay a tax on that whether or not you actually had any income.

Based on my further research on Internet sites, it appears there is a consensus...

With 184-plus days in Colombia inside any 12 months, you would be required to pay either the worldwide-income tax of up to 33 percent .. OR .. the 3-percent tax on assets -- whichever is greater.  You do not pay both.

cccmedia from Medellín

It is not a 3% tax on assets. It is presumed that you make 3% income on your assets, and you pay a tax on that income, which you cannot, of course obtain from a US bank. Also - there's no choice - you pay a smaller tax on your global assets.

It seems to me that, beyond the tax itself, Colombian authorities want5 too much information.

Any truth to the post that said tax-residents are exempt from the presumed-assets-income taxation provided that the assets total less in value that one billion pesos?  That amount could be $333,000 to $350,000 US depending on the floating COP-USD exchange.

cccmedia

http://www.medellinlawyer.com/colombia- … claration/

the untaxed asset limit is 127,256,000 pesos.

Expatriate health insurance in Medellin

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Medellin

Moving to Medellin

Find tips from professionals about moving to Medellin

Travel insurance in Medellin

Enjoy a stress-free travel across Medellin

Flights to Medellin

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Medellin