Dealing with homesickness in Turkey

Hello everyone,

Being an expat in Turkey can turn out to be a wonderful human, social or professional adventure... with potential moments of nostalgia and homesickness along the way.

What are your personal tips to prevent homesickness?

How do you deal with such feelings?

Are there shops or stores offering products from your home country in Turkey? Or maybe venues with music and ambiance from your homeland?

Thanks for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

I think we should deal with it this way
The Turkish life style is unique, we should enjoy not try to remember ours. We should consider our existence here as a tour, an expedition in life. One day we'll go to our country again and we'll miss Turkey; so we should enjoy the lifestyle here and consider it as something temporary.
In the end, Nostalgia is something genetic, you can never overcome it, never. Try to get yourself busy in everything and avoid contemplating in your days at your homeland.

Hi Priscilla,

I have lived here for a very long time and I think the best way to avoid homesickness and to adapt is by joining in. I am British and we Brits have a reputation for doing exactly that: but it works! Join a club - I recommend IWI highly - participate in the activities and you will soon make friends. Once you are busy, you won't have time to miss home, I promise you. Sign up for weekend activities eg ARIT is great if you enjoy walks with like-minded people; sports is another great way to meet people and to get you out and about. I think it's easy to meet people here but you have to make the first move!

I wish you all the best: enjoy your time in Istanbul, it will fly and you won't have time to miss home!

Claudia

Listen my dear nostalgic friend
turkey , even when there was no problem, i mean 2 years ago, the feelings there was 1 of deep nostalgia
let alone now, with all its social and political problems
my suggestion is that u get friends from the expat community, not turks
better still, get out of turkey b4 is too late
Take care