Close

Dealing with homesickness in Ecuador

Hello everyone,

Being an expat in Ecuador can turn out to be a wonderful human, social or professional adventure... with potential moments of nostalgia and homesickness along the way.

What are your personal tips to prevent homesickness?

How do you deal with such feelings?

Are there shops or stores offering products from your home country in Ecuador? Or maybe venues with music and ambiance from your homeland?

Thanks for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

For a Top Ten list on this subject that is relevant in Ecuador, please visit Report #2 at the Colombia forum....

www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=609493#3362724

-- cccmedia

Having been an expat for a long time, I learned to let go. If you’re going to be an expat and lead an expat life you’ll eventually let go of “home.” And this is my opinion, and this transformation if you want to call that means you build a life where you are at

You’ll always miss home if you feel like an outsider. You have to make your new country “home”, if that makes any kind of sense. You can always keep in touch with friends and family and even visit them or vice versa, but to defeat homesickness you have to make the country you want to live in home too. It may seem impossible, but that’s exactly what you have to do, and it can be achieved with assimilating in your new home.

My perspective is for the long term, not someone who is doing a one or two year expat stint. You want to alleviate or better yet eliminate homesickness, make your new country home. Ecuador is a beautiful place to do that. Beautiful, calm, and understanding people.

And personally. I've been here almost a year, and it's not "home", yet but working on it.

I don't feel very homesick becuase I have direc tv and I get bloomberg news like I had in the USA and it keeps me up to date on whats going on in the USA. It makes me feel in touch with my homeland.

schrifty wrote:

I don't feel very homesick because I have direc tv and I get bloomberg news like I had in the USA and it keeps me up to date on whats going on in the USA. It makes me feel in touch with my homeland.

Righty-oh, Schrifty, to borrow a phrase from expat.com’s Top Cat.  How many of these shows do you catch during a typical week these days, Schrifty?...

Top 10 Shows Available to Expats in South America Via DirecTV .. on the Bloomberg TV Channel and CNN International....

10.  “Charlie Rose”: in-depth interviews on politics, theatre, the cinema and other topics.  Bloomberg.

9.  “Anderson Cooper” .. an evening news wrap-up with coverage of late-breaking developments, hosted by the white-haired whiz.  CNN.

8.  “Political Mann,” a weekend wrap-up of the political doings in the U.S. hosted by Jonathan Mann.  CNN.

7.  “With All Due Respect,” daily political insights with plentiful guests, discussions of major U.S. news -- especially the Trump-Clinton contest, hosted by Mark Halperin and John Heilemann.  Bloomberg.

6.  “Wolf,” Mr. Blitzer’s take on the news of the day.  CNN.

5.   “World Sport,” a Europe-heavy roundup that also includes NFL clips and -- in season -- highlights from events including the Super Bowl, the NBA playoffs and the World Series.  CNN.

4.  “Amanpour”:  Globe-trotting Christiane Amanpour may be interviewing the ex-president of Colombia about the FARC peace treaty one night .. and breaking down the European refugee situation the next.  CNN.

3.  “State of the Race”:  Spirited Kate Bolduan presents a zippy review on weekdays of the latest Trump vs. Clinton dustups .. with the back half of the 30-minute program devoted to a panel discussion of topics concerning the presidential race.  CNN.

2.  “Vital Signs,” in which health-related topics are presented by host Sanjay Gupta.  CNN.

And the #1 show on CNN and Bloomberg, for Expats....

1.  “Quest Means Business,” in which the muscular and irrepressible Brit, Richard Quest, presents financial news and interviews with business chieftains.  The weekend version, “The Best of Quest,” includes highlights from the past week’s shows.  Richard Quest visited the U.S. this summer -- presenting reports from Mount Rushmore, the national parks and Las Vegas.  Heading east, he was called away last weekend in his short-sleeved shirt from a downtown Manhattan dinner party .. and pressed into service for his network doing live reports during the early hours of the West 23rd Street explosion story.  CNN.

cccmedia

Questions and answers about Ecuador

Ask your question
vsimple
Quito Vs. Cuenca
By vsimple
Salbell Ecopromoters
About Ecuadorians and the country of the mega diversity
By Salbell Ecopromoters
cccmedia
español for Gringos
By cccmedia
amerexpatteacher
Wow! Quito in expensive. And know Spanish.
By amerexpatteacher
Abbas maki
Before my rent agreement finish chnage my house
By Abbas maki
cccmedia
News Headlines in English and Spanish
By cccmedia

Expatriate health insurance in Ecuador

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Ecuador

Moving to Ecuador

Find tips from professionals about moving to Ecuador

Travel insurance in Ecuador

Enjoy a stress-free travel across Ecuador

Flights to Ecuador

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Ecuador