I live in the US but purchased a condo in Jaco Beach, Costa Rica.  Would like to open a checking or savings account there.  What is needed and/or how hard is it to open an account?

Yesterday, saw the newest info regarding opening account here and here It will be limited unless you are a legal resident.
Additional info.

my lawyer opened one up for me. i am a non resident. message me if you wish, i can refer you. she's located in Playas del Coco, Guanacaste​.

When I first came to CR on a tourist visa 11 years ago i opened a savings account with my passport. Years later, still under a tourist visa, I opened another savings account for my 6 year old daughter; she, a foreigner as well . I'm not sure what are the requirements now. Try to open one yourself without a lawyer. Nothing to lose, as Trump says.

We had no problem opening a bank account at Banco Nacional a year ago.  At that time we did not have a Cedula.  We went into the bank beforehand and were told what to bring.

I open up a bank account about a month ago with bank of Costa Rica and all I needed was my passport.

lol.   well this just shows that everyone has their own experience.   When i first arrived I tried to open an account at Scotiabank.  Could not do it.  Then a business acquaintance was able to open one up for me at banco nacional prior to my cedula.   Now w/ cedula have opened two more accounts.   it is funny though, every time I open an account they want to know my Social security deposit even though it goes to my US bank

It seems everyone who responded has had a different experience.

When we opened up a savings account with Banco Nacional they required the following:

1. A letter from our bank in the states indicating we were clients in good standing
2.  Two (2) years worth of banking statements; checking and savings
3. Two letters of recommendation.  One from a CR resident and the other from a CR business.

Check with the bank before hand and get it in writing and/or use your attorney for help.

Questions and answers about the banking system

Ask your question
Protecting your credit score and identity?
By McGinn
Banking in Costa Rica and the US
By lafdbuf
laura marina ruiz
wire transfers from US to Costa Rica
By laura marina ruiz
Local payment and charges.
By dominic135
Paying monthly through a Costa Rica Bank for house
By alleycat25
Exchanging currencies
By wanderlustress

Expatriate health insurance in Costa Rica

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Costa Rica

Moving to Costa Rica

Find tips from professionals about moving to Costa Rica

Travel insurance in Costa Rica

Enjoy a stress-free travel across Costa Rica

Flights to Costa Rica

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Costa Rica