Currency

Hey all, have a currency question in Colones!!

I've been looking to move, and possibly not work for a couple of years in Costa Rica. I have been trying to do some research on the internet but I am not finding answers to what I am looking for.  Now, I am not trying to but into peoples personal accounts, and nor do I want that information... What I am looking for is general ideas on what a good individual salary would be (in Colones) for a year that someone lives comfortably in Costa Rica. Or it could be what a family, husband\wife + kid lives comfortably on in a year.. Just a ball park figure.   I am trying to figure out if what I have in Colones is a lot of money, is a normal amount or do I not have enough Colones to survive. 

Hope someone can help!

Thanks,

Brian

I don't know if you have been to these sites, but we found them useful:
1)
2)
3)

Cheers .... Terry

I have been to 2 of those websites.  However, those do not really answer my question... I guess in a nut shell this is what i am looking for an answer to.

1 USD = roughly 500 Colons ....   So, if I were to save 10,000 USD I would have 5,000,000 Colons.     (provided I did my math right)  Now, this may seem like a lot and I Should be okay, but I don't really know and cannot find the answers to this.   I can't find answers to what salaries people in Costa Rica actually make and live comfortably off of.    Then I have....

How long will that last? Do I have to worry about running out anytime soon..  Etc. Etc.       What I am looking for are answers to having to find work, will I need more money than that.     

So this is what I am looking for,  Thanks though terrynViv

Brian- it really depends on how you want to live down here. What kind of place are you going to be comfortable living in? Etc. Ill tell you how much I spend 400$usd rent 50$usd electricity $30usd Internet you will want a bike when you get here so that will be around say $150 usd. Drinking is an expensive hobby usually $1.20 apiece at the grocery store. Here is a good website if u have not been yet therealcostarica.com

I forgot to mention woofing, I'm not too familiar with it but you can work on an organic farm in exchange for accommodations.

Bekal848 wrote:

I have been to 2 of those websites.  However, those do not really answer my question... I guess in a nut shell this is what i am looking for an answer to.

1 USD = roughly 500 Colons ....   So, if I were to save 10,000 USD I would have 5,000,000 Colons.     (provided I did my math right)  Now, this may seem like a lot and I Should be okay, but I don't really know and cannot find the answers to this.   I can't find answers to what salaries people in Costa Rica actually make and live comfortably off of.    Then I have....

How long will that last? Do I have to worry about running out anytime soon..  Etc. Etc.       What I am looking for are answers to having to find work, will I need more money than that.     

The general consensus I have read is that you could live comfortably on $2,000/month, depending on the area you choose. It could be $500 less! Fresh produce is far cheaper in CR than in the US, but some food items are more expensive (do NOT buy a bottle of Jack Daniel's). Utility costs in CR are also very cheap - no heat/AC needed in many areas of the country. You don't mention if you are bringing a car? Buses are cheap and plentiful,but you really need to be flexible on living off the grid and learning the schedules. Hope that helps -

Bekal848 wrote:

First of all you don't need to convert to colones, you can talk in terms of dollars. Colones are basically 500 colones = a dollar, more or less. I guess right now it's 553 colones per dollar.

Anyway, like MissB said it depends on what kind of lifestyle you want to have.
It also depends on which part of Costa Rica you live in.

If you live on the beach it's generally going to cost more due to the food costing more to ship out to the beach and gasoline and diesel fuel is very high in Costa Rica.

I've lived in  Costa Rica here and there and have been visiting for 25 years and have friends who live there so I can tell you that you CAN live on $1k (USD) a month. I think a couple without a child can live on around $1500/month (a bit less for a single person). $2k a month is a nice figure assuming you don't have a pool, don't drive a whole lot, don't run an air conditioner and don't buy a lot of imported foods and beverages.

If you have a pool, a.c., buy imported foods, etc, then you are looking at U.S. prices for cost of living, except for health care which is cheaper in Costa Rica.

I have a couple friends (married couple) who live well on $1k/month but they had their home bought and paid for and don't drive much. I know of others who spend $3k a month because they have a family and live like rich Americans - a.c., pool, gas hog cars and all that.

Hope this helps.