bringing things with you on the plane

I know this has been tangentially covered numerous times on numerous threads...but not specifically, what is the best way to get something like a 70" ceiling fan down to DR.  I'm flying Saturday into POP direct from Toronto and got a great deal on a 70" fan with remote and 72" downrod (necessary) But the downrod came separately even though I ordered it all as a package.  The box with the fan would be my pay for checked bag($25)...within dimesion/weight criteria...but the 72" pipe would be a second bag and that would be $75!?? with westjet...but you can check a whole bag of golf clubs for free!  It's not desperate...we are coming down as a big group in we could each take a piece then...and fly a different airline...

Has anyone had success bringing things like this in...and not paying extra?

Sorry I am no help on this one!

Good question.  You may get the info if you call your air carrier

Bob K

I did...they gave me a non-answer...that maybe the guy taking the baggage won't charge me oversized but I can't know that until I'm there...and after calling Delta turns out anything more than 62" inches is not allowed on flights to STI or SDQ??  And even so they would charge $200!  The whole fan only cost 200! I said, I'm so glad to be having these issues...means we have a place in the sun to have complications with!  :D

Love the attitude.   It will serve  you well here

Bob K

So some how they never charged me oversized luggage fees... For either the boxed fan or the long down rod... I have a picture  of it up... But you can't attach photos here...

We tried out lifestyle resort.... there a three on that topic here?....

Good for you!!! Woooo. Hoooo. 

Start a thread on it!!!

Questions and answers about moving

Ask your question
Experience Shipping houshold good and car by Cargo?
By Da504Family
Shipping Household items to the DR
By Da504Family
Moving to las Terrenas in July 2016
By karinpeters79
how can i get the hell out of here!!
By ellieengel
Parcel sending from Sosua
By tp3813

Expatriate health insurance in Dominican Republic

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Dominican Republic

Moving to the Dominican Republic

Find tips from professionals about moving to the Dominican Republic

Travel insurance in Dominican Republic

Enjoy a stress-free travel across the Dominican Republic

Flights to the Dominican Republic

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to the Dominican Republic