Headlines!!!

Have u heard of Electronic Pickpocketing!!!
NO?
u have to check this out.
Share it to everyone!!!
Must see!!!
Be aware!!!
See this link below

"electronic pickpocketing"

Electronic pickpockets steal credit card data from a distance

Written by Kimberly Donnelly
Tuesday, 21 December 2010 00:00

A disturbing abuse of technology allows someone to penetrate your wallet or handbag to steal your credit card, debit and smart card data while sitting or walking nearby. It is called “Electronic Pickpocketing.” The targets are people who carry so-called smart cards, which have small chips embedded in them.

The technique uses RFID (Radio Frequency Identification) technology to allow anyone with a laptop computer and a device available on the Internet to walk through malls, airports and other public places to collect information from people's wallets without ever having to approach them.

RFID is commonly used as anti-shoplifting technology, security entrance cards, to allow automatic checkout at libraries and scanning of passports. Large RFID scanners can be found surrounding exits of stores and libraries.

Connecticut Better Business Bureau says consumers can easily protect their information from RFID scanners by purchasing a special wallet or with a simple do-it-yourself method:

Cut two pieces of cardboard the size of a credit card, and wrap each dummy card with foil. Place one of the foil cards on each side of the wallet to shield credit cards from RFID scanning.

RFID scanners also can penetrate a wallet head-on. Keep all cards with smart chips next to each other between the foil cards to make them more difficult to read.

As privacy advocates express concern about growing use of RFID and its vulnerabilities, manufacturers are working on ways to limit their transmission range.

http://www.acorn-online.com/joomla15/th … tance.html

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat! Jeez, there is always something and some scam.  Why can't people use their intelligence for legal avenues instead of cutting corners into crime to violate often innocent and law abiding people.

I will check this out with my London (techie) colleagues and see what they say about this to get some verification and advice.

Thanks Seeker, it is always useful to get a 'heads-up' on these type of things.  Interesting to see no-one has responded to this post, with all the gadgets owned by the many, I thought this post would be rampant with responses and information?:/

These things do exist. I know that for a fact since my passport has the RFID chip and the Passport office recommends to keep the passport away from scanners.
But I also know that currently none of the banks in Saudi are giving out credit cards with RFID chips in them. I do have a RFID blocking passport wallet though and one which actually works. Have seen similar ones for the credit cards as well.
I recommend that. Information is too valuable these days for it to be simply lying around.

@Red, this is really useful to know.  Where did you get your blocking wallet from?

As always there is some truth in the scaremongering however as stated the chip does need to be an RFID, but the majority of cards in circulation that have a chip in them are not RFID.

If information can be picked up it is meant to be so highly encrypted that it is very difficult to decypher.

I am now away to put on my tinfoil hat to protect me from the alien rays!

this pickpocketing is only possible for contact less credit cards which use blink technology, only this type of credit cards uses RFID technology, otherwise most of the credit cards uses magnetic stripe technology....but still u need to be careful all the times coz every electronic device is easily vulnerable to e-criminals.

also when i was in africa,there some criminals put a very smart scanner on the ATM machines where you insert your ATM card n that can scan all info of ur visa card n then they reproduce the card using that info,the PIN was retrieved by the keystrokes and then you will easily loose all ur money....so be carefull whenever u use ATM machines n noticed some strange device there.

MaserMan wrote:

I am now away to put on my tinfoil hat to protect me from the alien rays!

:lol::lol: Your on form tonight Maserman :D

Thanks guys, really appreciate the information here.  Am also still awaiting the technical response from London on the matter.  Will let you know when it comes through.  In the meantime, I guess I best spend all my husband's money so that the criminals cannot get it eh? :whistle::D

gowiththeflowUK wrote:

In the meantime, I guess I best spend all my husband's money so that the criminals cannot get it eh? :whistle::D

PM me if you need help with this last bit :lol::lol::lol:

gowiththeflowUK wrote:

@Red, this is really useful to know.  Where did you get your blocking wallet from?

Sorry for the delay on my part to jump back in here..

And yeah I got it from Dubai Duty free. I was there on a stop over and had just changed my passport to the e passport as well. so got it from ther. I think you can get it online as well. You just have to be careful, and buy it from trusted source ( the usual advice for online shopping follow :P)

There are similar RFID blocking wallets for your credit cards too, but none of the ones I have, have the RFID tag in them. so I thought better wait till I get them and then I ll get the wallet.

The ATM machine reader is also something to be warned about. just make sure that the place where you are inserting the card is a part of the machine itself. These readers tend to be like an extension from the slot. But havent heard of this case in Saudi Arabia..... yet.

Thanks Red for the information and advice.  Having been quite a few years working and living in Africa, the card reader on ATMs for me is old news.  I only tend to use the ATMs in banks or inside places.  The ones on the street are always high risk and not worth the hassle if you can avoid using them.  Also, a good habit to have as a lot of ATM raids on on the street or at garages in Africa so ......

User(Iqama)ID number now required to recharge prepaid mobile phones

The Saudi Communications and Information Technology Commission (CITC) has announced that entering a user's ID number, together with a prepaid card number, would be mandatory to charge a cell phone's credit or transfer money from the user's credit to that of another subscriber starting July 31. In a press statement, the telecom regulator said the new procedure aims to end the practice of anonymous persons misusing SIM cards. In the new system, a consumer should enter his ID or Iqama number immediately after entering the prepaid card number to recharge the phone's credit. It would not be possible to recharge without entering the ID number. The telecom regulator warned citizens and expatriates against using any prepaid SIM card with an unknown identity. “The information supplied by subscribers while buying a SIM card must be correct and updated. It would not be possible either to charge or transfer credit if the users do not enter the same ID or Iqama number that they had furnished while subscribing to the service,” the statement said, adding that the new procedure is part of the commission's efforts to contain the spread of illegal prepaid cards. The regulator urged those who want more information or details about this to contact the service provider through its customer care offices, contact centers or website. The commission disclosed that it has completed all the necessary procedures and arrangements to enforce this decision. A few months ago, Abdullah Al-Darrab, governor of CITC, reiterated the commission's resolve to go ahead with introducing this system. He also noted that the telecommunications companies in the Kingdom had asked for a time period to introduce the system in order to make the necessary changes in their system to support the regulation. The CITC chief said that anonymous SIM cards were posing a severe threat to the security of the nation and the society as well. He urged all citizens and foreigners in the Kingdom not to buy such SIM cards to avoid the complications and dangers that might be involved in them. He also said that buying anonymous SIM cards is a clear violation of the law and that violators would face penal action.

gowiththeflowUK wrote:

If you have a normal chip and pin credit of debit card, there is no danger from RFID readers. However if you have one of the new tap and go cards or even a tap and go mobile you need to take precautions to protect your cards.

New Technology New Problems :)

Martin wrote:

New Technology New Problems :)

yeah..and i guess its not introduces to ksa yet so we still have some time to prepare and practice the precautions to avoid auch event.

Not strictly true.

http://www.snopes.com/fraud/identity/pickpocket.asp

seeker of truth wrote:

The Saudi Communications and Information Technology Commission (CITC) has announced that entering a user's ID number, together with a prepaid card number, would be mandatory to charge a cell phone's credit or transfer money from the user's credit to that of another subscriber starting July 31. In a press statement, the telecom regulator said the new procedure aims to end the practice of anonymous persons misusing SIM cards. In the new system, a consumer should enter his ID or Iqama number immediately after entering the prepaid card number to recharge the phone's credit. It would not be possible to recharge without entering the ID number. The telecom regulator warned citizens and expatriates against using any prepaid SIM card with an unknown identity. “The information supplied by subscribers while buying a SIM card must be correct and updated. It would not be possible either to charge or transfer credit if the users do not enter the same ID or Iqama number that they had furnished while subscribing to the service,” the statement said, adding that the new procedure is part of the commission's efforts to contain the spread of illegal prepaid cards. The regulator urged those who want more information or details about this to contact the service provider through its customer care offices, contact centers or website. The commission disclosed that it has completed all the necessary procedures and arrangements to enforce this decision. A few months ago, Abdullah Al-Darrab, governor of CITC, reiterated the commission's resolve to go ahead with introducing this system. He also noted that the telecommunications companies in the Kingdom had asked for a time period to introduce the system in order to make the necessary changes in their system to support the regulation. The CITC chief said that anonymous SIM cards were posing a severe threat to the security of the nation and the society as well. He urged all citizens and foreigners in the Kingdom not to buy such SIM cards to avoid the complications and dangers that might be involved in them. He also said that buying anonymous SIM cards is a clear violation of the law and that violators would face penal action.

have u guys heard this! it will be effective on july 31st!

seeker of truth wrote:

have u guys heard this! it will be effective on july 31st!

Oh yes. I received a text on my mobile from Mobily.

so for others who do have unregistered sim. better to register it now.

seeker of truth wrote:

I've got 3 !!

ghanshyampdave wrote:
seeker of truth wrote:

I've got 3 !!

lol. Be ready to register or to discard those 3 sims.:D

Hey guys!  Just a reminder, starting tomorrow you'll be needing to include iqama number every time you recharge your mobile phones so register your numbers!

seeker of truth wrote:

Hey guys!  Just a reminder, starting tomorrow you'll be needing to include iqama number every time you recharge your mobile phones so register your numbers!

Somebody said the date has been moved up to September.

Alliecat wrote:
seeker of truth wrote:

Yeh the dates have beend efferred to 28th of Sept !!

http://www.arabnews.com/new-mobile-recharge-law-sept-28

Thanks for the link @Saimans.
Saved my 3 sim cards.

saimans wrote:
Alliecat wrote:

http://www.arabnews.com/new-mobile-recharge-law-sept-28

ghanshyampdave wrote:

Saved my 3 sim cards.

Anytime, Dave !!

BTW, what you do with three sim cards ?? Seems you have become a Sheikh !! :P

saimans wrote:
ghanshyampdave wrote:

Saved my 3 sim cards.

Anytime, Dave !!

BTW, what you do with three sim cards ?? Seems you have become a Sheikh !! :P

Two sim cards on my dual sim samsung phone are for incoming calls & outgoing calls respectively. And finally one for data services alone, on my Samsung S3. By this I never miss any call / msg. :D

saimans wrote:

Good thing I got this info, I was planning to register later, thanks guys. Might sched it after Ramadan.

Alliecat wrote:
seeker of truth wrote:

Really? I wonder why did they do that? Mmmmm...:rolleyes:

seeker of truth wrote:
Alliecat wrote:
seeker of truth wrote:

I have connections in the Kingdom :whistle:

Wireless connection? :D

seeker of truth wrote:
Alliecat wrote:
seeker of truth wrote:

If you would have read the link, you would have got the answer of your query !! :)

saimans wrote:
seeker of truth wrote:
Alliecat wrote:

If you would have read the link, you would have got the answer of your query !! :)

Yeah! Actually I did but I already posted the message so I just kept it in the thread! :)
Thanks saimans! :)

Any procedure to check the sim being registered on your id? I dont wanna waste my time in getting to know the simple answer by the sickest customer services !!

Try to go back in time when you bought your Sim card and remember if you did fill up a form and attached your Iqama copy. If you did, definitely your Sim card is registered otherwise you have to visit any nearest office of the telecom company of your mobile Sim to register your simcard.

Good luck!:)

adnanhashmi wrote:

Any procedure to check the sim being registered on your id? I dont wanna waste my time in getting to know the simple answer by the sickest customer services !!

I thinking checking it is a more tedious process than to do it again,

If you are a user of STC network, Send your IQAMA number as text to 5855, they will register your sim against your Resident permit. !!

BTW, and for Mobily you can do that online !!

saimans wrote:

I thinking checking it is a more tedious process than to do it again,

If you are a user of STC network, Send your IQAMA number as text to 5855, they will register your sim against your Resident permit. !!

BTW, and for Mobily you can do that online !!

I did just that previously - but when my old sim (literally) died on me :sosad:
I have to go to an STC office to get a replacement sim (with same number), but the records don't match despite of 'registering' it via SMS...
but since i have the sim card with me with that number, they did provide a replacement (with 50 sar charge?), and then (and only then!) got it registered under my name...

Smoking ban aimed to reduce teen smoking

The Ministry of Interior has ordered provincial governors to enforce a public smoking ban in government buildings and other public places with the aim of cutting smoking among young people and encourage Saudis and expatriates to look after their health better.Anti-smoking groups praised Interior Minister Prince Ahmed's directive, but restaurant owners said it would harm business.The ban also includes shisha served in restaurants and cafes, as well as all ministries, government departments, and public establishments.The minister said in a statement: “Since we are a Muslim country, it is our duty to serve as a model for adherence to Islamic law, which encourage people to protect their wealth, interests and general health against harmful acts.“Therefore, it is compulsory to ensure the implementation of the smoking ban in government departments and public sector agencies.“There should also be a total ban at enclosed public locations including coffee houses, restaurants, commercial establishments, and crowded places.“The ban includes shisha, which is not at all less dangerous than cigarettes.”Workers in the private sector hailed the ruling, noting many private businesses have already implemented a smoking ban in their offices.Ahmed Al-Olyian, a civic engineer who works in a construction company in Jeddah, said: “It is a good decision. However, many companies in the private sector already banned smoking in their buildings.“We are waiting now for the smoking ban to be applied in public places, especially the restaurants.”Ali Moaatez, an employee at the Presidency of Meteorology and Environment, said he sees the ban as an incentive to help him quit smoking, but he expressed skepticism about its impact on smokers.He added: “This decision may help me to give up smoking.“I am working for a governmental body, but I think I will face difficulties adhering to the ban.”The ban follows a recommendation in November by the National Committee on Fighting Tobacco to take stringent measures to stop selling tobacco products to people under 18.In June, the Ministry of Municipal and Rural Affairs banned the sale of cigarettes to under 18s.Saudi Arabia ranks fourth in terms of global tobacco imports and consumption.Saudis smoke annually more than 15 billion cigarettes worth $ 168 million, according to the Gulf Cooperation Council.Prince Ahmed warned retailers not sell tobacco to people under 18 under any circumstances, adding individuals should report any violations to authorities.Restaurants and café owners say they may face difficulties in enforcing the smoking ban.They said their profits depend on customers who enjoy shisha.Abo Manaf, owner of Caza Cafe in Jeddah, said: “The decision was surprising to me.”“If it is applied soon, customer numbers will drop.“All my profits depend on shisha and shisha customers represent around 75 percent of my clients.”Waleed Mosa, an Eritrean employee in the private sector and regular café shisha smoker, said the transition to a smoke and shisha-free environment in cafes would be difficult.He said: “I cannot imagine restaurants without smoking or cafés without shisha.“If the decision is applied all cafés will lose their customers.”Suleiman Al-Sabi, secretary-general of Naqa'a (purity), an anti-smoking charity society, said he hoped the ban would cut the number of teenage smokers by half.He said teenagers and young adults account for 27 percent of total smokers in the Kingdom.Municipalities fine shops that sell cigarettes to minors up to SR 500.The Kingdom is a signatory to the Tobacco Control Treaty launched by the World Health Organization (WHO) in May 2003.According to the treaty, signatories should ban or restrict advertising and other tobacco company marketing efforts.In addition, health warnings should cover at least 30 percent of the surface of a pack of cigarettes.All materials used to make tobacco products should be listed on the packaging.The agreement also urges governments to strengthen indoor smoking laws, to place high taxes on tobacco and develop strategies to stop the sale of black market cigarettes.Majid Al-Muneef, supervisor general of the anti-smoking department in the Ministry of Health, said the ministry and the Ministry of Education were working together to developing an effective awareness program among students in secondary schools.

source

No to Smoking!!!! Lol

seeker of truth wrote:

source

This has got to be :offtopic:

Only headlines allowed, not the news in detail :P

By the way, even I support the move by the govt. Smoking in public areas should be banned for more than one reasons

ghanshyampdave wrote:
seeker of truth wrote:

source

This has got to be :offtopic:

Only headlines allowed, not the news in detail :P

Waaaaaahhhh...sorry :sosad: