Your new local habits in France

Hello everyone,

Living in France is a great way to immerse in a new culture and lifestyle.

Have you embraced local customs since you've lived in France? If so, which one(s)?

Did local customs change the way you see things, appreciate life or organize your daily routines? As far as the language is concerned, did you learn new expressions or words and do you use them?

What do you like most about the lifestyle in your host country? Are there any local specificities you are still struggling with?

Thanks in advance,

Priscilla

Top of the list of things to know about living in France is the importance of la politesse. Whenever you walk into a shop, or a doctor's waiting room, or anywhere else that is public-but-private, always say "Bonjour". Before opening a conversation, however ephemeral (e.g. asking for directions in the street), say " Bonjour." On leaving, or concluding a conversation, wish people "bonne journee" or "apres-midi", or " soirée", or (if appropriate) "continuation".
Before complaining, no matter how hopping-mad you might be, say " Bonjour". And if you do need to complain, be as painfully polite as you know how; this will earn respect, whereas yelling instantly disqualifies you from any right to be heard.
I was reminded of this the other day, when an American tourist barged in front of me in a shop - not to buy something, just to ask a question. The whole place - including me - was shocked by his (c)rudeness.
I do not live in Paris, however - far from it - so I cannot speak for the Parisian way of life, which virtually all non-Parisians do not admire.

Bonjour
     Glad to know about this. Thank you very much mousemac for sharing....i appreciate this generosity...if things work in my favor, this will be my first time in Brittany...the insights are very helpful....thanks again...
...and should i say...bonne journee...