Greeting from Kinshasa

Hi everyone.
I'm Nurul. I'm a new comer in this forum. Actually, not really new. I found this around 6 months ago but i just had a time to read it one by one. This web is very interesting place for sharing among expatriates.
I'm Indonesian, living in Kinshasa, DR Congo in the last 10 months. This is my first experience working abbroad and it's not seldom for me to find dificulties in everywhere.
Since I'm foreigner, don't speak French (all Congoleese speek French).

I wish by using this web, we can share information each other..

best regards,

Nurul

Hello Nurul, and "Welcome" on the forum :)

Thanks for your kind comments ;)

So, do not hesitate to participate and contribute in other discussions.

Have a great festive seasons.

Yud :)

Hi Nurul,

Hope you r fine.My name is Manoj fromIndia.Currently i am in Dubai and planning to shift to Kinshasha.Can you please help me by giving a brief idea on the living conditions .My mail id is

[email protected].

Best Regards
Manoj

Hi everybody,

I come from Madagascar and I'm in Kinshasa since to months.
About my first experience here, I've a good feeling but it should be take with care. It depends on where you leave. Usually in Gombe, where 95% of expats lived, it's quiet. But I've found recently new guys paliyng sports with me inside th ecity. And it's not unsafe as we have already hearing.
Life is very expensive if you always buy your foods inside Combe but if you have some time, especially during week end, try to see just outside town, and you can find a lot of things very cheaper than usually.

See you,
lala.

Hi All,
I try to give some explanations about Kinshasa

DRC is a big country. They have manys cultures and languages (I dont remember haw many it is. You can check it in Wikipedia). But, as conversation, they use French (national language), Lingala and Swahili.

Most of Congoleese like to have a drink. So, if you're drinker, you can find beer easily here. They also have the local one, Primus. They love to dance. You're gonna find a lot night club around the town. But, you must be careful. Choose the good one.

Most of community are Christians. However, if you're Muslim, you still can find mosque around the city.
The environment is not really good if you're living in the down town. There are a lot of 'Seghei' (street boys) that can disturb anytime. They asked for money, and it's not seldom happened they force people to get money. So, be careful with them.

Living cost is totally expensive, especially if you're living in Gombe (one of subdistrict in Kinsasa where the most expatriate live in). As comparison, I stay in apartment with 1 bed room, 1 living room, 1 kitchen and 1 bathroom. It cost me 850 USD / month. The apartment is not too god, but not bad at all. If you want to lie on the sub urban or rural, maybe you can get the cheaper one.

Electricity and water are the common problem that you'll face very often if you stay in DRC. So, prepare yourself for it.

Job opportunity? I don't think it's much. Make sure, you already get the job when you come here. Don't gamble with it.

cheers,
nurul