Britain to leave EU!

1 GBP = 1.2339 EUR
The GBP/EUR rate as of 24 Jun 2016 at 7:57 AM

Nice to get an automatic cut in income of around 15% - Thank you Boris and Farage.

Ray

What a nightmare. It's 'unchartered waters' indeed...

Short term changes are very common when the financial markets see something they don't understand.
If the Pound gains in a few weeks as the markets realise the doom and gloom isn't going to happen, will you start a thread complaining about your pay rise?

Short term market jitters were always going to happen - nothing to worry about.

Things will settle and stabilise as there is a plan of what we do next - isn't there???

Nange wrote:

What a nightmare. It's 'unchartered waters' indeed...

Like moving from Canada to Malta?
There must have been a million things you didn't know, but you moved anyway.
"Uncharted waters" are fun to explore.

When it boils down to the basics, the British people were finally allowed to vote on what they'd been taken into without being asked, and they rejected it.

Nothing to complain about.

It will be interesting times ahead. I agree with Fred, it will settle down eventually after all the knee-jerk reactions have gone. I  still have my 1 way tickets for December.  My one regret it not changing  my £ to Euto last night when at 1.32...😞
Ray

That was a silly analogy.
An ndividual moving from Canada to Malta does not affect others much.  As for 'the British people voting for what they'd been taken into without being asked', 12 million were against Brexit. In this case, fear won. To shrug off the ramifications is ignorance.

Fred wrote:

When it boils down to the basics, the British people were finally allowed to vote on what they'd been taken into without being asked, and they rejected it.

You may like to check your facts Fred.
The British people were asked in a referendum about whether to stay in 1975, by Harold Wilson's Labour government!   

66% voted to remain in! They may not have been asked before joining, as they should have been, but  they voted to be in later, so had a choice!

Ray

Fred wrote:

Short term changes are very common when the financial markets see something they don't understand.
If the Pound gains in a few weeks as the markets realise the doom and gloom isn't going to happen, will you start a thread complaining about your pay rise?

Short term market jitters were always going to happen - nothing to worry about.

It was not a complaint about not getting a pay rise it was stating a fact that since all the uncertainty the GBP/Euro has dropped from 1.43 to around 1.236 today and is likely to be  more than 2 years before that uncertainty ends.
As for a rise in state pension, I assume that you do not get it as you are outside the EU and we may not get it in Malta in a couple of years time but that does not worry me as it is only worth a couple of percent. Losing 15 - 20% 0f the value of my pension does, even it is only for a year or two.

Ray

LOL some people cashed in HUGE on this. Man...

:(

The British people may have voted to come out of EU, but the Scottish and Irish people voted to stay in, yet we are taken out against the majorities decision , 4 nations in the UK, 2 voted in 2 voted out, Scotland and Ireland have small populations compared to England, should we not have needed 3 nations to vote either way to make it a majority decision?

F0xgl0ve wrote:
Fred wrote:

The British people were asked in a referendum about whether to stay in 1975, by Harold Wilson's Labour government!   

66% voted to remain in! They may not have been asked before joining, as they should have been, but  they voted to be in later, so had a choice!

Ray

Actually, no.
The UK was asked to vote on a common market, a free trade zone not joint government that would reshape UK laws.
There has never been a vote on any of that, it was just forced on the UK.

The British people were finally given a vote on all that stuff, and they rejected it.

Opinions are no longer important, it's a done deal.

Fred wrote:
F0xgl0ve wrote:
Fred wrote:

Ray

Actually, no.
The UK was asked to vote on a common market, a free trade zone not joint government that would reshape UK laws.
There has never been a vote on any of that, it was just forced on the UK.

The British people were finally given a vote on all that stuff, and they rejected it.

Opinions are no longer important, it's a done deal.

You obviously think yours is Fred!

J.black5 wrote:

The British people may have voted to come out of EU, but the Scottish and Irish people voted to stay in, yet we are taken out against the majorities decision , 4 nations in the UK, 2 voted in 2 voted out, Scotland and Ireland have small populations compared to England, should we not have needed 3 nations to vote either way to make it a majority decision?

The Scottish and Welsh voted to remain within the UK, so they remained part of the whole.
This vote was taken fairly, and based (in Scotland) on the majority wish of the Scottish people to be part of the UK.

As luck has it for the Scottish, they voted in at that time, saving them from bankruptcy as oil prices crashed and destroyed what would have been an independent Scotland's budget.

They were free to vote themselves out of the UK, but did not.

Opinion?

A bit like coming out of EU is being forced on Scotland and Northern Ireland. Time will tell .

J.black5 wrote:

A bit like coming out of EU is being forced on Scotland and Northern Ireland. Time will tell .

No, they voted to remain part of the UK, so part of the UK vote on the EU.
Nothing forced them to.

A mistake which we can hopefully rectify now.

J.black5 wrote:

A mistake which we can hopefully rectify now.

An opinion from one, but the fact remains:
Scotland voted to remain the in the UK, so must abide by the choice made by the majority.

If you had left, you would have gone bust by now, so enjoy the fruits of your savior's table.

I believe its called democracy, have you hear of it?

Saviours table eh! Best end this discussion now.

J.black5 wrote:

Saviours table eh! Best end this discussion now.

England saved Scotland after the disaster of Scottish colonisation in the 1600s, then the remain vote on devolution saved Scotland from bankruptcy again when oil prices dropped just after that country voted to remain in the union.

England's money saved Scotland on both occasions, so my 'saviour's table' analogy is reasonable.
This is historical fact, regardless of any opinion either one of us has.

Not sure why Scotland would want to go under the EU with more regulation and limits on fishing and industry. Their best bet is to encourage the London government to get rid of alot of the restrictions holding the economy including lowering the corporate tax and build a strong Scotland.

Im pretty sure Scotland has a big welfare bill and cant only rely on oil revenues at $40 a barrel.

The fishing industry was destroyed as a result of EU restrictions, so that's likely to made a slow recovery as European fleets will no longer have quotas in British waters, the thing that caused the decline of the UK's fishing fleets.
Without that silly policy based on politics rather than preservation of stocks, the UK's fleets can grow again.

Whichever way you lean, you may find this of interest.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/br … 99996.html

Sounds like a legal minefield

Well as someone living in the UK at the moment and in the middle of sorting out dates to come and live in Malta this year, with a view of stopping for a few years, I'll be watching what happens very carefully.

Trust me, coming home through the centre of London tonight was tense, there's a lot of disbelief and there are many many people trying to get a 2nd referendum to parliament.

I really hope the EU states and the UK don't stop this awesome freedom we've benefitted from over the last 40 years.

We are planning to come and live in Malta in October, but with the Brexit now a reality I don't see it's really worth it. It would be a long term plan to stay but if we moved to live in Malta would we be kicked out after 2years or thereabouts? Any views?

I don t think so Julie just be positive the darkside leave it always at the end first get the good come here u don t know what can happen at least you have 2 yrs in Malta better then nothing no... maybe i said something without sense but if i was me i would do it...

Mar Lon M wrote:

I don t think so Julie just be positive the darkside leave it always at the end first get the good come here u don t know what can happen at least you have 2 yrs in Malta better then nothing no... maybe i said something without sense but if i was me i would do it...

Mar Lon M is right Julie.   I've said it before, get packing. Just imagine Malta if the British were kicked out, it won't happen.   We have 1 way tickets in November and we may consider bringing our plans forward now as we had planned March. 
I am not too  worried.
Ray

Ultimately it is all speculation at the moment, no one has a clue what is going to happen. I personally wouldn't put my life on hold unless there were concrete facts showing that it wasn't feasible. And as others have said before, Malta (and other EU countries) aren't suddenly going to screw their economies by chucking out a large number of people who are contributing.

I spent today reading and discussing commentary from accountancy firms/professional advisors (related to my job, not for fun!).

The most feasible options seem to be either the Norway EEA model or the Switzerland EEA model. This would allow current EU-UK trade to continue without the full customs border implications.

Can you imagine what the Northern Ireland/Republic of Ireland border would be like otherwise?!

Fundamentally, EEA countries have had to agree to many of the rules of the EU, one of which is free movement of EEA/EU people (but not Schengen).

Obviously there is the currency issue to deal with and F0xgl0ve's comments should definitely be a consideration for anyone relying on UK income.

But again- who knows?! Julie2016 - wouldnt you rather see what happens while enjoying the sun, lifestyle and culture in Malta instead of the pouring rain and cold in Scotland? Absolute worst case (which I DON'T think will happen), you get 2 years living in a great country!

Personally, I am glad we will be leaving in a few weeks, because I think things could get challenging here. Going through (multiple?!) further referendums; independence debates; prices rising; changes to the political landscape; and the ill-informed, mostly biased, never-ending commentary from the mass media. Urgh!!!

There was an online petition demanding a new referendum, but the chances of it turning into anything more than sour grapes is around zero.
The vote was open, free and fair, as was the right not to vote.

To claim it wasn't correct because everyone didn't vote is nothing short of blind stupidity.
Any politician who backs this will be out of a job by next week.

Edit - the second referendum petition demands 60% of the voters who could be bothered to get out of bed vote to remain or leave, turning democracy of the majority into a European version where they get the result they want, not what the majority of people want.

Frankly, I hold such people in contempt as they wish to remove the voice of the people in favour of their own selfish ideals.

You scored, but we want the goalposts moving, meaning you really missed.

Pathetic.

Thanks for your comment. Plenty to think about. 😍😍

Felinefine, you should be a therapist, you worded that perfectly, I'm a lot less worried now.

Right, see you all in November!

JMH71 wrote:

Felinefine, you should be a therapist, you worded that perfectly, I'm a lot less worried now.

Right, see you all in November!

Woohoo!

Perhaps if the UK adopted the Australian voting system we wouldn't have this problem.

Fred I agree with you that another referendum to reset the goalposts is ridiculous. People need to take responsibility for their actions and accept the democratic process.

Where there is more uncertainty for me is over Scotland and Northern Ireland. Particularly Scotland, where a whole lot of people voted no to independence on the basis that it would result in staying in the EU (as it was questioned whether Scotland could join independently). So I think there will be unrest and further action here.

Problem?

A referendum is decided by the greater number of cast votes.
More than 50% of voters said "Out", so they won.

I see no problem, so perhaps you could explain.

felinefine81 wrote:

Fred I agree with you that another referendum to reset the goalposts is ridiculous. People need to take responsibility for their actions and accept the democratic process.

Where there is more uncertainty for me is over Scotland and Northern Ireland. Particularly Scotland,

The Scottish leaders are using this as a reason for demanding a second referendum on Scotexit (He says with more contempt, this time aimed at more extreme Scottish politicians), forgetting the Scottish people voted against leaving the UK.

They're claiming Scotland is being dragged out of the EU against its will, forgetting their vote could have forced England to remain in the EU against its will.

Perhaps England should have a referendum on allowing Scotland to remain part of the UK. I'm pretty sure which side would win that one.

Remember we only live ones and that only one is to short and the beginning of the end of the world has started the news says it all so lets live now...