Expand your social circle in Morocco

Hello everyone,

Moving to Morocco means leaving one's family and friends behind. Creating a circle of friends or joining an existing one should therefore be paramount in order to fight loneliness in your host country.

But how can one develop a social network in Morocco? Where and how to meet people there?

How easy is it to meet locals? What about cultural specificities?

Share your advice and experience!

Many thanks in advance,

Priscilla

I'm new here in Morocco , I just moved in 6 months ago from Dubai ! It's a huge adjustment for me cuz the life here is simple compare Dubai . In my 6 months here I noticed that Moroccan people are nice for expats but I heard to my colleague from Thailand , she quite harassing here cuz guys kept on chasing her and asking her number . This is the reality here men here are quite rude for all women , I suggest don't wear something short or sexy clothes cuz it's tempting for Moroccan men .. The good here is the cost of living , cuz it's so cheap , the weather and the worst here are the driver here .. They will literally kill you if you don't avoid the car.. They don't have discipline here in road rules ,, it's terrible !

People here don't speak English so I suggest you learn French or their language !

Hi
First thing Morocco is huge so generalising that all Moroccan men are rude is rude it self!dubai compare to Morocco is different but I had guys chasing me in Dubai mall for my number several times, Second thing I have been driving in Agadir for years and no one killed me yet and I don't see huge difference compare to other countries.
Third thing "their language" is called Arabic and if you really come from Dubai you should be able to speak it!

I have been in Morocco number of times and for months not weeks , I have found the people friendly and I have never been harassed, yes I have been stared at but where I go I am one of the very few Europeans in the area and I have blonde hair and green eyes so yes I know I am an oddity but never felt uncomfortable or in danger, as for the driving go to some European countries and you will find crazy drivers there too

I'm moving to Agadir in 3 weeks time and would love if anyone would be able to take me under their wings for guidance and coffee   and chatting!!

Can I ask where do you live in Morocco please Louise?

It's funny how negative posts get more responses and intrigue others curiosities 😅 Louise made Morocco sound like a huge jungle and here are others wanting to know which part of Morocco this jungle is located lol

I lived in Kenitra for 10 years.  During those years I commuted to Rabat for work everyday.  It took me time to adapt, I won't deny it, but once I put in my mind that I was the one who had to adjust I opened up to new experiences... I fell in love with this country and haven't gotten over the fact that I had to leave (family issues).  It's been two years that I left and I came to spend the summer.  I'm dreading the day when I have to leave again.  What I love?  Its simplicity, everything has a solution, just matter of being patient.  Yes, I look foreign, even after 10 years and even wearing djeleba I never got rid of the staring, I ignored it.  Somehow this worked to my advantage the few times that someone came to bother me.  I learned to use my voice and immediately people would come to my rescue.  Very nice people, Moroccans, and very generous.  I hope time will pass quickly so that I can come back.

HI PRISCILLA,

WHAT A MEANINGFUL SUBJECT YOU HAVE WRITTEN. IT DEFINITLEY  MAKES YOU THINK , PARTICULARLY
IN A COUNTRY LIKE MAROC. 

WHERE ARE YOU SETTLED IN MAROC, ARE YOU IN AGADIR  OR MARAKECH.  I  AM THERE MOST OF THE TIME AND VERY KEEN TO SETTLE IN AGADIR. BEEN GOING THERE SINCE 2007,  NICE AND QUIET BUT YOU CERTAINLEY NEED FRIENDS OR GROUP OF YOUR OWN CIRCLE TO MAKE THINGS EASIER, ENJOYABLE AND CREATE SOME FRIENDS AND ACQUAINTANCES.

SEND ME AN E-MAIL WHERE YOU ARE BASED AND WHAT LANGUAGES DO YOU ACTUALLY SPEAK.
WILL LOVE TO MEET YOU.

DR ASIM

@ dr asim > It would be great if you can avoid posting in capital letters please, as this is not allowed on the forum. It means shouting.

In fact, i am a member of the Expat.com team and i am not in Morocco. :)

Thank you,

Priscilla

Hi Priscilla ,

apologies for the capital wordings, I did not know the forum does not like this sort of  messages.
Anyway I did not meant to shout and very humble, particularly being a doc.

I did not get reply to my previous message, like to know what your comments are. 

Nice to  know you, maybe keep in touch.

dr Asim