Money Transfer in Singapore

Please I would like to know the amount of  money one  can send and receive through western union in Singapore. Thank you

As far as I know, there are no legal limits on sending and receiving money in Singapore.
But please note that Western Union is used by many scams, cheats and illegal activities and is not a recommended tool for legitimate transfers. It is much preferable (safer, cheaper, better) to use normal wire transfer from your bank account!

Singapore post has Western Union. And there are limits based on where it is going. It is complicated and you need to go Singapore post and inquire as to the regulations which depend on where you are sending/receiving money from. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that it is similar to the US$10k that is monitored on international air travel which is almost a universal standard. Western Union only charges to SEND money….It is a TRUSTWORTHY AND SAFE global business that has franchises in almost every country in the world. WU has nothing to do with the scams & the fee for SENDING  depends on where you are sending and the amount. I will say that sending money from Singapore is generally expensive. I sent $250 to the USA and it cost almost $50. The bank would have charged around $70. The bank maybe better on larger amounts. However using a BANK, the RECEIVER MAY incur a charge as well. ANZ charges US $50 at my location  to RECEIVE a TT!!  TIP: AVOID ANZ LIKE THE PLAGUE!!.
SAFETY -All that said. WithWU the receiver is handed cash. If you are sending money to a loved one it may be dangerous in SOME countries to walk out to the street from a place that handles cash. If you are sending money to family or friends that is worth thinking about. You may also want to see if WU can send the money to a financial institution...Hope that helps.

The Singapore banks I deal with (OCBC, DBS, POSB) charge S$25 plus 0.125% of the transferred amount for sending money abroad. For a transfer of S$250 this works out to S$25,31 fee.
If there is a receiving fee at the foreign bank you send to, use a different bank (most in the developed world don't charge for receiving).

WU does probably not take part in scams themselves, but they also do precious little to prevent illegal usage of their services (after all, it's one of their major income streams!).
In addition, as the receiver gets cash in hand and is untraceable after that, sometimes strangers show up pretending to be receiver and then YOUR MONEY IS IRRETRIEVABLY GONE!
Again: Better send via an established, safe method like bank transfer!

The person asked specifically about Western Union. I have been using them for years and not one problem. Maybe they don't have or can not yet get a bank account. Everything can not be idiot proof. Western Union branches are a business investment by the franchisee. No matter where they set up shop; it does not behove them to give out money to the wrong people. They are very picky about IDs everywhere. If some simpleton does not safe guard the mctn number then they still need to take the correct ID. It would require a fair amount of simultaneous stupidity on the part of both sender and receiver to get ripped off as you are suggesting. It is simply NOT a realistic scenario. Frankly it is less likely than someone stealing your credit or debit card. It's way easier to steal a pin and copy a credit card than it is to fake you are someone else. So I am lots more concerned about the bank giving my money to the wrong person.
Anyhow, I did check up on the TT and you are correct. Singapore has some of the most favourable rates and even currency change charges are low. Thanks for the tip. That's one of the great things about Singapore - currency exchange is really favourable. It's the best I know of.

It depends which country you are transferring the money. As majority of the expats are from China and India, so all the local banks give better rate with nil transaction fees to a limit margin e.g DBS does not charge a cent while sending money to India upto S$25,000 in a single transaction.

Where as sending to other countries llike to Europe or US, it charges a % of the total amount or a fixed fee as transaction fee. Last month I had send S$550 (converted into pound to my friend in London), it cost me S$50 as transaction fee, where as I had send many times to India more than S$10,000 in a single transaction with nil transaction fee.

Pertaining to Western Union, the rates are not competitive in compare to local banks but certainly it's safer. I too had used many times to send for charity programs to various countries, I never had any issues (except the rate is not competitive), and they charge S$10 or S$20 depends on the amount you want to transfer.

That is pretty far off the topic. The thread was specifically about WU as I previously pointed out. And as you have indicated there are various reasons why it may be the only or even the best choice for the circumstance. That is really all there is to it. Yes their fees are outrageous….So do you know what the maximum amount one can actually send via WU to another country? THAT was the question that started the thread. I am not sure but as I pointed out, you could go to Singapore Post and ask.

mitsmaak, you can send any amount from Singapore but there are some provisions and documents you need to provide as supporting. I'm giving you the below wu link for your purpose. I would suggest visit any wu branch in Singapore then you may clarify further with them.

https://www.westernunion.com/sg/en/faq- … ey.html#Q6