Where to invest money?

It's a minefield looking at where to invest your money. At the end of the day you can do all the research in the world yet still quite easily make the wrong decision. The recent events in northern Africa and the natural disaster in Japan has sent ripples through financial markets, something which has no doubt impacted some investors in a big way.

My personal approach would be to consult a financial adviser that deals with investment advice. They will have whole departments that do research into various investments. Initial meetings are usually free and carries no obligation. They will then put forward a proposal based on the outcome of your meeting and can arrange the investments for you if you wish to proceed. Also importantly, they will look at any tax exposure for you as well to ensure your net return is maximised.

At the end of the day it should save you time and also give you confidence that you're making the right investment decision, whilst at the same time give you the peace of mind that your investments are being reviewed on an on-going basis to ensure they're in-line with your original intentions.

Welcome on Expat.com jn401 ;)

Interesting contribution :)

Actually i found this contribution lacking any real "contribution" at all. Financial advisors are a dime a dozen these days, each armed with big research teams and fancy designations. Choosing a good one can be difficult especially in turbulent times. Going by past performance is a good start-point.

[Moderated: No free advert]
:)

Kman,

Im inclined to agree with you in part. There are plenty of advisers out there, the trick is finding one that will 'advise' you based on what you're looking to achieve; after performing a thorough fact-find to find out what your intentions are, rather than speaking with an adviser that simply wants to 'sell' you something that perhaps isn't suitable. Advisers should be there to generate and present ideas, in addition to any you've come up with yourself, alongside regular reviews of your investment portfolio this should ensure a better return in the long-run.

Exactly.. most advisors these days are trying to "sell" you a product that generates xxx commission for them. What you really need before handing over your hard earned (or easily inherited) money over to someone is to educate yourself a little about investing and the risks associated with it.

Yes i agree with all that you have said... Cause i myself am a financial adviser... and thats the problem i see nowadays that people are "selling" rather than "servicing" the needs of the people.

Financial advice in Singapore is a very dishonest and often shady industry - even the financial advisers above seem to agree on this!
If they really knew how to invest money, they would not need to give advice for a fee. Or if they believed in their own advice, they would take commission based on the performance of the investment vehicles they recommend.

Actually, nobody with average intelligence and a minimum of free time needs a financial adviser: Just ask at several banks, compare and decide what you need or want!

[Moderated: No free ad on the forum.]