How is school for kids that do not know norwegian?

I have questions about schooling in Norway, my son is 7 years old and for the time we get there, he will be between 8 to 9, but he do not know the language, and a private school for international kids its not an option now....does anyone know or have experienced this process with children? public schools? or they can start class as normal?   Thanks in advance for any help  :)

Hi,
Where in Norway are you going? Im interested to see if anyone will reply to you as I too have a 7 year old boy and we will be moving to Kristiansand in july.

Hello hello! Well im going to oslo or close :)

Hi
When u get to Norway wherever u going go their community hall or they call it kommune what you wanting. As I know they have to start in a transcession school , they learn the Norsk as well as the Maths. The quicker they learn the quicker they will go to the proper school or normal school. They get medically check as well if everything seems fine they can start in a week.

I have 2 children who moved here 8 months ago. Neither knew any Norwegian before they came, they both go to the local Norwegian school. They get extra Norwegian lessons 3 times per week during the school day. They are aged 10 and 11.
Mixing with the local children is an advantage and it works both ways, my children help their friends with English and their friends help them with any Norwegian concerns.
They both think the school is much better than their old school in England.
We live in Nordland county so it may differ in other areas. If your children don't speak English then you you may have more problems than we have.

@yorkie100
Hi I know this is a really old post, and you may not see it  just keen to know if you still live in Norway, and where are you from originally, we are looking to move to Lodingen which is in Nordland, we have a son that is 6 years old and a daughter that is 4 years old. I'd love to chat about how your children found school and how we go about getting our oldest into school.

Cat Lupton

@catherineslupton hi there Catherine ! Well I finally came to Norway in 2019 with my son, he was 10 at the time. We are both originally from Colombia. Norway has a good system to integrate immigrants. When I came, they immediately help us out with the schooling. They might give you and offer for kids who doesn't speak the language yet. In my case I end up in Bergen, and they put my son on a initial school where all were immigrants, trying to introduce the lenguaje. There were people from all over the globe. After a year there in 2020, when they see that they have the basic they will offer you to put the children in the nearest school to your place of living. In my case my son moved from this international school to the closest school by our house and it's been there learning and now he speaks a Norwegian, since he is with other norsk kids around all the time and the clases are all in norsk. So, I will advise you, that if you already know you're going, and where are you staying, give a call to the local school so they can give you this kind of offer. All kids have the right to have it so calling will help a lot in advance. When we arrived, my husband called the local school and a week later he was already going to school. So I wish you good luck and if you have any other question let me know :)

@catherineslupton hi there Catherine ! Well I finally came to Norway in 2019 with my son, he was 10 at the time. We are both originally from Colombia. Norway has a good system to integrate immigrants. When I came, they immediately help us out with the schooling. They might give you and offer for kids who doesn't speak the language yet. In my case I end up in Bergen, and they put my son on a initial school where all were immigrants, trying to introduce the lenguaje. There were people from all over the globe. After a year there in 2020, when they see that they have the basic they will offer you to put the children in the nearest school to your place of living. In my case my son moved from this international school to the closest school by our house and it's been there learning and now he speaks a Norwegian, since he is with other norsk kids around all the time and the clases are all in norsk. So, I will advise you, that if you already know you're going, and where are you staying, give a call to the local school so they can give you this kind of offer. All kids have the right to have it so calling will help a lot in advance. When we arrived, my husband called the local school and a week later he was already going to school. So I wish you good luck and if you have any other question let me know smile.png

- @vanhallenpf

Thank you for this info because we are planning to move also in Norway but I hope that kommune can give them schools even they are still waiting on their permits.

@vanhallenpf thank you so much for your advice and intell, me and my husband are going over at the end of this month to see if this is what we would like and make a decisionon whether we want to live in Norway, and we are going to see if we can have a look at the local schools in the local area and go from there. Very exciting!

Best of luck to both, hopefully the process is fast as it was with me. When we put him on the school his permit was not ready yet so it should apply the same rules, in fact we both applied to the residence when we were here. So while waiting and all they provided the school and all :). Good luck !!

@vanhallenpf how long did you wait on your permit? And is the first school of your child near to your address?

We waited after applying around a month and a half to get a reply, ofc making sure we had all the papers, I must add that my husband is Norwegian, so I'm not sure if this makes it faster. Not truly sure.yes that was the first school close to my address and not we are on the second one since we moved 2 yrs ago to a new address.