Passport Confiscation Question

I have been offered a job at a big newspaper in Dubai (all good - money's great, allowances are superb etc), but there is one huge sticking point.

The company, who shall remain nameless, want to keep my UK Passport (although I live in the USA) until such time as "you need to travel."

Now, I have read that even the UAE's Minister of the Interior says that it's illegal to keep an expatriate's passport, so what are they playing at?

Is it an "unwritten rule" for companies to do this? Is any of this weird behaviour normal out there?

I have already told the HR person I'm dealing that they will not be getting my passport under any circumstances, so I'm waiting to hear back from them.

Thanks for any answers any of you may have.

I know NOTHING about that part of the world, but I wouldn't let anyone do that.  No one.  Ever.

Eish ! My passport is my key to freedom, no way ! :-|

I would never give my passport to anyone ...

Thanks for your input guys,really appreciate it.  Of the 30 people I've asked about this, not including this forum, 100% of them said "don't do it."  I wasn't going to anyway, but I feel more vindicated thinking I have that much support and common sense behind me.

Again, many thanks.

Yes, there are companies that hold on to peoples passports in the UAE.   It is illegal under UAE laws.   If you're employer insists contact the British Embassy.

Hello,

Please be informed that this is an old thread. We recommend members not to dig up old threads. You should rather participate on recent threads for the benefit of members.

Thank you
Bhavna

[Thread Closed]

Closed