WHAT HAPPENS IF U DIE IN THE UAE?

Hi guys

Anybody know the process?

Inbox me for more information...

:(

i guess if u die in the uae is the same as u die in any other country? no?

hmm yeah makes me wonder if im a Filipino and I die there would the UAE government send my body back in the Philippines?

What happens if you die in the UAE?  Good question.  The person who dies is gone, so no issues for this person.  But it is a real hassle for next of kin.  Here is a general idea of what happens to the body as well as the possessions:

1. Police need to be informed.  They take away the body for a post-mortem.  For them to return the body with the death certificate documents, it could take 3 to 7 days.  The body will be moved to a mortuary in a hospital where will have the body embalmed before despatch, if requested.  This is mostly Maktoum Hospital in Deira.

2. You can choose to bury or cremate the body in UAE; or despatch to wherever by air.  For each of these actions you have to obtain permission (Police/Municipality/Air Cargo).  There are also professional funeral handling companies who will do this for a fee.

3. For despatching the body you have to obtain clearance at the destination also, in addition to airport cargo in Dubai.  There are shipment forms to be filled in with the freight agent.  Yes the body becomes a cargo now.

4. For the possessions - Police will determine how to resolve.  Nobody can stake claim on Bank savings or other assets, until Police have applied the Sharia Law and concluded.  They are supposed to follow the country (of the dead person)'s Laws, but this is invariably done in the framework of Sharia Law.  There are also legal counsels available to guide you in such an event of a death.

Moral:

Try to die in your home country if possible. Do not die while here as an expat.
Even if you do, try to dispose of or allot your assets before you die.
A copy of your will will be useful.

mjrv wrote:

What happens if you die in the UAE?  Good question.  The person who dies is gone, so no issues for this person.  But it is a real hassle for next of kin.  Here is a general idea of what happens to the body as well as the possessions:

1. Police need to be informed.  They take away the body for a post-mortem.  For them to return the body with the death certificate documents, it could take 3 to 7 days.  The body will be moved to a mortuary in a hospital where will have the body embalmed before despatch, if requested.  This is mostly Maktoum Hospital in Deira.

2. You can choose to bury or cremate the body in UAE; or despatch to wherever by air.  For each of these actions you have to obtain permission (Police/Municipality/Air Cargo).  There are also professional funeral handling companies who will do this for a fee.

3. For despatching the body you have to obtain clearance at the destination also, in addition to airport cargo in Dubai.  There are shipment forms to be filled in with the freight agent.  Yes the body becomes a cargo now.

4. For the possessions - Police will determine how to resolve.  Nobody can stake claim on Bank savings or other assets, until Police have applied the Sharia Law and concluded.  They are supposed to follow the country (of the dead person)'s Laws, but this is invariably done in the framework of Sharia Law.  There are also legal counsels available to guide you in such an event of a death.

Moral:

Try to die in your home country if possible. Do not die while here as an expat.
Even if you do, try to dispose of or allot your assets before you die.
A copy of your will will be useful.

mjrv.  please do not give advice on subjects you obviously have no knowledge about.  people may believe you and suffer as a result.

Just a clarification.

A post mortem is not always done.  If the cause of death is obvious (jumped of a building for example), they dont do one.

Bodies are NOT embalmed.  They will put it in a freezer but no embalming is done.  its against islamic principles.

you CANNOT have the body cremated in the UAE.  The goverment will provide a burial plot if you require.

If you want to repatriate the body, call your embassy who will give guidance.  The costs will have to be paid by you.

For inheritance.  Shariah law will be applied to muslims only.  Non muslims will be governed by any will that is available.

Dear giasi,

I write from direct personal experience, handled one of my colleague's death.  This is exactly what happened in Dubai.
Maybe it is different in Abudhabi.

@mjrv Thank you. This is a very helpful and thorough explanation.

Thank you

@irene88 hello welcome !

Please note that this is an old thread from 2012.

Regards

Bhavna