In retrospect, would you move again to Italy?

Hi all,

If you had to look back on your expat experience in Italy, would you heartily say "let’s do it again"?

From the preparation stage to your actual everyday life in your new country, what did you enjoy the most?

Would you do certain things differently? Could you tell us why?

How would you describe the benefits of your expatriation in Italy so far?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience. We look forward to hearing from you!

Hi Christine

Yes definitely!

We love the good weather, the peace and quiet (no more traffic queues), the fantastic views, good food and the people. There are annoyances of course, but we laugh at them and write stories about those.

In a few months you'll be able to read them as my first book is being translated into English: "The Italy Challenge - Surviving the dolce vita"!

Moderated by Christine 5 months ago
Reason : free advertising is not allowed
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Well im no stranger to italy ive been all over from venice in the north to sorrento in the south and now in my 40s i find i wish to go again with the view of settling as permananetely as i can i cant really find anything that puts me off but i am a little anxious of trying to get everything to fall in order at the same time,ok its only myself i have to worry about but its the getting there .travelling,organising a rental property,getting the flights to fall on the days im sopposed to be there etc,,,,ok so now i have took the plunge and i am leaving the uk on 29 june i hope to have a rental property in hand at the end of this month,,firenze is going to be home base for a while and 600 euros a month is my rental budget,,,,,,any firenzians reading this ,,,,i will see you soon...paitence is my key i think.

I did the move first back in 2002 when I was 18, stayed for 4 years and loved it.  Everything beurocratic was hard to organise but only had to do that once. Couldn't secure long term work so eventually had to move back home. I decided to try the move again in 2008. I tried north italy for a change and did some teaching gigs up north. Although it paid an income I found the school directors dishonest and the contract they give you isn't worth the paper it's written on so wasn't able to settle in permenantly once again. What would I do differently? I'd pick the area wisely based on actual reviews. I think Milan, Rome, Florence etc would be good for xpats. Would I do it again? Absolutely, it's a hate love relashonship that calls me back time after time. Next time I'll be buying a piece of land. I think semi retiring to italy would be good stuff! Good luck guys!

On second thoughts, the worse bit of moving to Italy is that a 600 a month property turns into a 1200 a month property when you enquire

For more affordable areas in Italy to move to, the  Puglia region is definitely way more affordable than the popular cities to the north (Florence, Milan etc. as mentioned). HOWEVER, you encounter very few English speakers. Have been in Lecce over a month & the only English I've heard have been by tourists from Germany, Belgium, Holland ! Work opportunities probably far fewer if any.

I lived for 2 years in Florence in the 60's ( yes, I'm  ancient!) & even then, there were hordes of Americans & folks from the U.K.

Would love to be in contact occasionally just to converse in English. Will be in Lecce for a couple more months.

In two words...Absolutely NOT.

You seem to be quite emphatic  - care to elaborate?

I'd have saved up more so that I could get an apartment in the South Tyrol region.  In my opinion, it is the best part of Italy.  I like that your children can grow up speaking German, it's more organized and more like Austria than Italy.  One might say, however, that the people there are nowhere near as warm and friendly as Italians from the rest of Italy, especially southern Italians.  Aside from that, South Tyrol is far from the coast so if you are coming to Italy for the beaches and sunny warm weather, it's not the best place and it's more expensive rent-wise.

if i have a good job!

Yes, I would move here again, but one thing for sure I would also leave! I made the mistake of hanging around way too long. Now I'm way too old to start any kind of remunerative career. This is a great place for an experience, but not for a 'real' life.

Questions and answers about Italy

Ask your question
Andini Primaniasari
greetings from me; an indonesian in milan
By Andini Primaniasari
Rebecca Hooper
New in Palermo - looking to meet other expats living here
By Rebecca Hooper
English speaking hair salons
By UvStha
Waqar Ghumman
By Waqar Ghumman