BPJS change of rules re foriegn pensioners ?

Well, I have already contributed. My point is that even if I was 'allowed' to participate in BPJS as a retiree my medical needs are not the same as a 30 y/o indonesian. I have my anual physical performed by my doctor when I am back in the US. He has my medical history at his fingertips.  I will admit that I am no expert on the Indonesian medical system. I do have a doctor here that I see when required. Cost is so small it is not even worth filing a claim with my expensive private insurance that I am required to have to meet the requirements to be alowed in as an 'old bule'.  The important issue for me is medivac and repatriation of remains. You can purchase this sort of coverage from Air Med. Not inexpensive. The income  requirement for a retirement visa is $1500 US per month, you must rent a place to live (they tell you how much $$$ depending where you live), you must hire one Indonesian helper.  You must renew your KITAS every year and get a one year exit rentry permit (current cost 9.5 juta including required liability insurance). Medical insurance, food, transport.  Time it's all said and done, if you are only making $1500 a month from your pension, there isn't a lot left. My medical insurance including medivac and repatration runs $1400 per year.

Hello everyone > just to inform you that some posts have been removed from this thread. We are here to share useful information not to judge each others opinions. Again please avoid arguments on the forum.

Thank you.

To add to the (Second) mod warning above, at least one post contained rather bad language, something we don't need on this forum.

Thank you for keeping the forum clean.

CDRJohn wrote:

Well, I have already contributed. My point is that even if I was 'allowed' to participate in BPJS as a retiree my medical needs are not the same as a 30 y/o indonesian. I have my anual physical performed by my doctor when I am back in the US. He has my medical history at his fingertips.  I will admit that I am no expert on the Indonesian medical system. I do have a doctor here that I see when required. Cost is so small it is not even worth filing a claim with my expensive private insurance that I am required to have to meet the requirements to be alowed in as an 'old bule'.  The important issue for me is medivac and repatriation of remains. You can purchase this sort of coverage from Air Med. Not inexpensive. The income  requirement for a retirement visa is $1500 US per month, you must rent a place to live (they tell you how much $$$ depending where you live), you must hire one Indonesian helper.  You must renew your KITAS every year and get a one year exit rentry permit (current cost 9.5 juta including required liability insurance). Medical insurance, food, transport.  Time it's all said and done, if you are only making $1500 a month from your pension, there isn't a lot left. My medical insurance including medivac and repatration runs $1400 per year.

Indeed there are so many things we need to consider as we age. I am not yet of retirement age back home, but when I do reach that age, my pension will only be US$450 per month based on a buyout plan in the 1980's from two years of paying towards a pension fund. That's just about enough to pay the bills.

I have to admit, I didn't know how cheap BPJS actually is. Someone I spoke to the other day pays Rp60,000 (US$4.60) per month and had heart by-pass surgery which was completely covered by BPJS. All he had to pay was Rp3,500 for materai. No wonder some retirees moving to Indonesia would love to be covered.

the 60k is class 1 bpjs , ya its been increased to 80k , great value, no pre existing conditions clause and no age limit .

Hansson wrote:

All he had to pay was Rp3,500 for materai.

I've only seen Rp6,000 Materai anywhere real for ages.

tel522 wrote:

the 60k is class 1 bpjs , ya its been increased to 80k , great value, no pre existing conditions clause and no age limit .

No pre-existing conditions and no age limit is fantastic.

The scheme was originally set up to help the poor, but now everyone is using it. Even celebrities. That's why changes need to be made.

"The scheme was originally set up to help the poor, but now everyone is using it. Even celebrities. That's why changes need to be made."

I think you need to re-read post #9.  The goal of the Indonesia national health care plan is to cover ALL Indonesians, not just to help the poor. 

There are a number of news articles on the internet which accurately explain the intended purpose of the program, which NEVER was limited to helping the poor.

Here's just one article I can recommend for you:

http://www.theguardian.com/global-devel … ce-verdict