Business etiquette in the United Arab Emirates

Hello everybody,

As you know, professional habits may differ from one country to another. In order to help newly arrived expats better understand their new professional environment in the United Arab Emirates, we warmly encourage you to share information and insights about the do's and don'ts in the workplace.

For instance, are there office manners? How do you greet your co-workers? Do you greet your management differently? Is there a dress code? Particular rules to observe? Maybe a professional body language?

On another level, what is key for a successful professional meeting? Are there any steps to follow? How do you a start a negotiation?

In other words, what are the most important things to know for a successful professional integration in the United Arab Emirates?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience!

Julien

Be open, friendly, kind.  Say good morning.  Be sociable.  Drop the 'phantom' self and show the real human behind the corporate mask. Show you are willing to go the extra mile. Offer to take on extra tasks.

I came across an article about business etiquette in UAE when I came to Dubai. I don't remember the source but I do remember a few points from that.

- Dress modestly. Even if nobody will point it out specifically, Its is expected for everyone to dress modest, specially in a office/business setting.

- Never wear the local attire unless you are a local in UAE (exceptions being specific occasions or if its just for photography). It is culturally offensive to the locals. They might consider you a pretender and feel offended by it.

- Never offer your hand for a handshake to a lady (local). Wait for them to offer a handshake and if its not offered, just avoid it.

- Talking on the phone is considered OK during a meeting here. Be patient if somebody takes a call during a meeting.

- Be extra cautious about eating/drinking/smoking during Ramadan especially in front of your muslim/ arab colleagues. You might not be fasting but you need to have the empathy for those who are fasting at all times.

-  Respect the local tradition & culture. UAE has embraced all possible diversity of ethnicity/ nationality/ culture and religion. They will have minimum expectations from you to respect their culture and traditions.

- Learn the greeting phrase " Assalam o alaikum ". As that is most common greeting in the Arab world.

I hope this helps. I may not be absolutely correct, but that is how I remember it.