Environmental protection in Italy

Hi,

Environmental protection is a challenging issue for all the countries around the world. Would you say this issue is deemed of significance in Italy?

Is the country going green through initiatives like waste management and selective sorting programs, renewable energies, public transport, green awareness campaigns and so forth?

How do you personally commit to improve the environment in your daily life?

We would greatly appreciate if you could tell us more about the various local initiatives for sustainable development in Italy.

Many thanks in advance!

Kenjee

Where I live (oltrepò pavese), sorting waste is quite common. Paper, plastic, glass and organic waste is all separated. There are also containers for oil waste although I see less of them around.
In my neighbourhood, you can find any of these bins at a short walking distance. However, even though the bins are accessible, i have friends that throw everything in the same bin. At work, none of our waste is separated. We reuse paper but it's never recycled because the bins are too far away to recycle and no one is willing to carry bags of paper home to recycle it.

We all hate to see rubbish just laying around, we moan and tut, tut !! Unless we each make the effort not only to sort our own but make the effort at work, a rotor car trip to waste bins isn't too much.   We need to complain to local authorities whenever we see dumped  rubbish, take down number plates of those fly tipping.  If we don't make an effort we shall be knee deep in vermin and a lot worse!!  :(:sosad:

We have been separating trash in the States for many years.  At first it took awhile to adapt to the new system but now it feels natural to separate it.  Another thing that has happened over the last 3 years is that the grocery stores pay us to bring our own reusable bags for our groceries.  If we don't bring our own resuable bags they charge us $.05 or .10 for paper bags. This has cut down on paper quite a bit.  It's not hard to separate trash into recyclables for one bin and throw away trash for another bin