Tungurahua Volcano Active: A Threat to Baños, Ambato & Area 'Pueblos'

Tungurahua became highly active on Friday (February 26, 2016) after three months of relative quiet.

The volcano had two moderately large explosions, the first of which sent ash plumes 5,000 meters or about 16,000 feet into the sky.

Roads into Baños could be problematic as a result.  The ash principally dispersed into towns west and southwest of the volcano, which is located next to the town of Baños.

Source:  www.volcanodiscovery.com

-- cccmedia

A major explosion at Tungurahua on Tuesday (March 8, 2016) produced violent shock waves, rattling windows and doors in nearby towns.  The explosion sent ash 11 km (6 miles) into the air.

There has been a surge of violent activity at the volcano since the weekend, with 17 explosions reported on Monday alone.  A surge of magma has been reported at the summit.

Steam and ash have been ejecting from Tungurahua. Nighttime activity seen as spectacular displays of incandescent material are being witnessed.

Sources:  www.volcanodiscovery.com and www.cuencahighlife.com

Thanks cccmedia
informative as always.  I am back in the states and news of EC comes best from you.
Working my  b-- off to get back asap.  I miss Ecuador and all the people I was lucky enough to meet.