Tips and advice to thrive in Panama

Hi,

When living in a foreign country, you have to adapt to a new environment, various cultures and different social codes.

How did you manage to adjust to Panama?

How long does it take to feel at home? Would you say it is an easy process?

According to you, what is key for a successful integration process in Panama?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience!

Priscilla

Learn to speak Spanish ..its a great help!!!

Agree.... go with the flow and chill out. Expect everything to take at least twice as long to get something done.

folks you contract for a job say they will show up and never do.
Do not pay one red penny in advance to no one. You go buy the materials with them, but no money until they finish the job properly. Beware of workmanship at all times and beware  of others who come to do the job with the contractor. He might contract out the job thus keeping the bulk for himself. Who do you blame later??

Acknowledge that this is not the country you grew up in. Take time to get to know the people, their customs, their language. Eventually become part of the community; find out where and how you can help from those who are asking for assistance. Enjoy challenges as adventures-a learning experience. Be flexible. Do your research before committing.

good, helpful stuff
Thanks
James Lee

IT ALL DEPENDS ON YOU AND YOUR SOCIAL SKILLS. pANAMANIANS  ARE EASY TO TALK TO NO MATTER WHERE, SO IT HELPS TO SPEAK SPANISH.
I SAY THE MIN YOU NEED TO LIVE HERE IS 2000 DOLLARS PER MONTH.
you CAN LIVE ON LESS...DEPENDS ON YOUR WANTING TO EAT OUT OR COOK AT HOME.  RENT WILL TAKE A GOOD THOUSAND DOLLARS OR MORE. iTS BEST TO SHARE WITH SOMEONE.
COST OF GROCERIES HAS GONE UP... MORE SO THAN THE USA..
BOQUETE IS A NICE PLACE TO LIVE IF YOU WANT NICE WEATHER.
PANAMAS WEATHER ELSEWHERE IS HOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT. SUN IS WWOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW.

Darryl wrote:

IT ALL DEPENDS ON YOU AND YOUR SOCIAL SKILLS. pANAMANIANS  ARE EASY TO TALK TO NO MATTER WHERE, SO IT HELPS TO SPEAK SPANISH.
I SAY THE MIN YOU NEED TO LIVE HERE IS 2000 DOLLARS PER MONTH.
you CAN LIVE ON LESS...DEPENDS ON YOUR WANTING TO EAT OUT OR COOK AT HOME.  RENT WILL TAKE A GOOD THOUSAND DOLLARS OR MORE. iTS BEST TO SHARE WITH SOMEONE.
COST OF GROCERIES HAS GONE UP... MORE SO THAN THE USA..
BOQUETE IS A NICE PLACE TO LIVE IF YOU WANT NICE WEATHER.
PANAMAS WEATHER ELSEWHERE IS HOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT. SUN IS WWOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW.

Hello Darryl

Thanks for your input on this thread, however could you please avoid writing with your caps lock on ?

It is considered rude and makes reading difficult

Regards
Kenjee
Expat.com

I was trying to make it easier or those who cant see that good. Theres quite a few of us like that...Lucky you can se without caps.
Have a great day in Paradise.

Darryl - it's a simple matter on a PC or laptop to increase font size, or screen size, with the click of a button. I do this when the type is too small to read without straining. Using all caps is not the way to go to solve the problem.