Tips and advice to thrive in Belize

Hi,

When living in a foreign country, you have to adapt to a new environment, various cultures and different social codes.

How did you manage to adjust to Belize?

How long does it take to feel at home? Would you say it is an easy process?

According to you, what is key for a successful integration process in Belize?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience!

Priscilla

The best advice I can give is don't rock the boat. I have lived in Belize 3 years and everything gets done on their time not necessarily ours. There is no sense getting all upset, especially with the government. Everything seems to moves slower here. Go with the flow, and if you have high blood pressure, over time you will see it drop.

We moved to Placencia belize two years ago , best move I ever did. The adjustment has been seamless with very few issues , hardest part is learning to relax without worrying about it Ha.
I have a business and built a house here with no problems...

I agree pretty easy transition, just wish my Spanish was better.

I agree with skistrail, I moved to Mexico from the US 7 years a ago and had to learn to just go with the flow. If it doesn't happen  today, if the store doesn't have it or if a worker doesn't show up, don't get upset about it. It will eventually happen. My wife and I have been working on some property in the Cayo and plan on moving there next year. Hopefully we should adapt well.

In our experience of living in Belize we treat the locals with respect and we do not act like we have more than they do even though we do.  Our best friends in Belize are locals, not other expats.  We do things for them without them asking and they, in return, do the same for us.  We certainly don't flash money and simply just fit it.  It works!

What kind of business? We were there in August in Corozal Town and were told you could only do or have a business that Belizeans don't or can't  do. Also you love the southern area obviously. Do you find a high rate of crime? Or excess heat/bugs? Very curious

We thought about Corozal Town because of its easy access to Mexico (Chetumal) and Sam's / Walmart

Thanks for your reply

Liz Kendrick

FYI, until you have Permanent Residency Status or QRP status it will cost you $37.50 each time you leave Belize to go to Chetumal (or anywhere in Mexico) and could , depending on how many days you are out of BZ that first year, if applying for Permanent Residency, be a problem.  You can own a business, no problem.  You just can't fill a job thus denying a Belizean of a job.

Priscilla wrote:

Hi,

When living in a foreign country, you have to adapt to a new environment, various cultures and different social codes.

How did you manage to adjust to Belize?

How long does it take to feel at home? Would you say it is an easy process?

According to you, what is key for a successful integration process in Belize?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience!

Priscilla