What is life like to retire in Ecuador

HI this is Lyn & Paul from Toronto, Canada
We would like to know what to expect in Manta Ecuador should we retire there, and what tax, pension money,

what sort of income bracket would we have to have to live a comfortable life along the beach in a condo. We have checked condo prices.

Are there maintenance fee's, water bills, electricity bills, etc. and grocery shopping pricing.

Moving into a turkey condo?

Thanks,

Lyn & Paul

lynvanpaul01 wrote:

We would like to know what to expect in Manta Ecuador should we retire there, and what tax, pension money, what sort of income bracket would we have to have to live a comfortable life along the beach in a condo. We have checked condo prices.

Dear Lyn and Paul of Toronto,

Welcome to the Ecuador forum.

Manta has been called the Baltimore of Ecuador.  It's a coastal city with a lot of industry.  Look into Bahía de Caráquez for less industry .. and Salinas for low pricing.

The consensus is $1,800 for a couple per month for basic living expenses presuming Gringo-preferred quality, after setup costs (furniture, moving).  If you insist on being as extremely close as possible to the beach, as opposed to a beach view, you might pay a few hundred more for a condo sofisticado.

"We have checked condo prices."  Hopefully, those are rental prices.  Don't buy or build on EC property in the first year.  Some Canadian Expats enjoy a snowbird life -- summers in the north, most of the year in Ecuador.  On much of the EC Coast, the warmer high-season is about December-May.

cccmedia

lynvanpaul01 wrote:

Are there maintenance fee's, water bills, electricity bills, etc. and grocery shopping pricing.

Maintenance fees are low in Ecuador, as a rule.  My one-BR condo -- not at the beach -- has a monthly fee of $29 to cover maintenance in common areas and round-the-clock security guards.

My water and electric bills total under $20 a month.

Grocery-shopping costs depend on too many variables to predict.  If you buy fruits and veggies at the local Spanish-speaking markets, your costs will be reduced.

cccmedia

lynvanpaul01 wrote:

Moving into a turkey condo?

What does this phrase mean to you ?

FYI, management of the building will determine pet policies. ;)

cccmedia

Hello,
I think they meant "turnkey" condo, si?
Nevertheless, we enjoy your wit! ha

Cheers,
PS

Thank you for your response.
We are looking for a turnkey residence, (fully furnished).
1 bedroom condo, where would you recommend the best place, close to town for shopping, grocery, and very close or on the beach, which part of the country do you recommend?
We like walking the beach, going into town and walking around and market shopping.
I like a relaxed area, not a party place.
Lyn

Although the main advice is to visit some places before deciding... here are some guidelines: 

Salinas gets super-touristy December to May, so watch out there.

The Ecuador coast is over 900 miles long and within that long distance there are many micro-climates.  Some folks report that the off season from June to November can be very cloudy and even cool.

Avoid the "Puerto towns" -- quaint fishing villages deficient in adequate water supply or other infrastructure.

A surfing place such as Montañita may not do it for you.

The ways in which coastal Ecuador has been battered during the past two months of El Niño indicate that buying as opposed to renting is a bad idea for many.

Look into Bahía de Caráquez.  It has some high-rise buildings, but gets good grades from many Expats as a place to live.

cccmedia

This might be of interest - gives commentary and the author's opinion on each beach (and community if applicable).  The link takes you to Playas (General Villamil Beach).  Click on "Next Beach" and you'll move north (generally) along the coast to Salinas, Manta, etc. to Esmeraldas (and everywhere in between). 

http://ecuadorbeaches.org/beaches/guaya … mil-beach/

SawMan wrote:

http://ecuadorbeaches.org/beaches/guayas-beaches/general-villamil-beach/

Great link, SawMan.  The wide-angle photography of the many beaches is superior .. and each beach has up to seven photos you can click on.

cccmedia

Hello Fellow Canadians!

Just a brief note to let you know I came from Brampton Ontario and settled in Tonsupa- Esmeraldas a month ago.
This is a much less congested town compared to others mentioned., very peaceful beach town still with local ambience gaining a lot of attention for expats to relocate and growing in popularity.
Purchased a small 3 BR. "Villa" (bungalow ) in a  guarded enclosed community composed of only 13 units. There are only two permanent residents, the others are most of the time empty , their owners either use them as vacation rental units or for their relaxing time away frown the main Cities, that makes this place tranquil and peaceful .
Cost: $70,000 
Monthly Maintenance fees (Alicuota): $85.oo  includes water
Electricity: $20.oo
Bus transportation to Atacames at the door, cost $0.25  (for seniors $0.13)
So far , the only draw-back I found is the produce prices (including the local market) are a 10 - 20% higher than other towns (still affordable).
Not many expats in town, however, I see plenty of "gringos" in Atacames.

It is worth paying it a visit, there are plenty of real state for sale, from luxury front beach condos  (check Diamond Beach buildings) to affordable single houses or  departments in small buildings, or if you prefer, buy them in "blue-prints" property being built right now.

I'm here until May, if you decide to come over, I'll make myself available for guidance. Spanish is my first language.

Marco