All you need to know about firearms in Ecuador

It would be nice if that were the case.......but......what about guns in the hands of maliantes who are breaking into your house. There have been brutal home invasions in Cuenca, Guayaquil  and even Vilcabamba....expats have been seriously harmed and even murdered.......normal law abiding citizens should be allowed to protect and defend themselves......Ever heard of the old saying? The best solution for a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.? How many times has that been borne out? If you think that stripping the citizenry of their guns and only leaving them in the hands of cops (many of which are corrupt) and maliantes who always find a way to get a gun and are inclined to use them to get their way is a good idea, Ive news for ya.............Have a nice day.........

The fact is your highly unlikely to use a gun in self defense.  Where do you think the bad guys get their guns? From the bad guy gun factory.? I live in the US and have several firearms but your good guy with a gun theory is ridiculous and the stats don't bear it out. Your fear and paranoia is duly noted

The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun. The only thing that stops a good guy with a gun is a bad guy with a gun. It goes both ways. Now please answer this, is it easy or hard for an ex Pat to get a gun in Ecuador and does the type of gun matter.

When I was a child in Ecuador a long time ago, foreigners could and did import their own personal firearms, or buy them in Ecuador and use them legally for hunting/home defense, without any problems.  I was on at least one hunting trip for perdiz on and near the slopes of Cotopaxi with shotguns, and my Dad had a little .22 revolver kept in his dresser drawer at home that I got to shoot, what fun, it was such poor quality that the bullet started to tumble probably no more than 6' out of the barrel...but if you threw it at someone and hit him it could have done some damage...

But that was then.  Now, although this link is old (2007) I believe that its central message is still in effect:  No one may import any type of firearms into Ecuador, unless it's for either the police or the armed forces:

https://lahora.com.ec/noticia/577797/el … n-de-armas

From the above link, a government official is quoted:
"Queda absolutamente prohibido importar armas que no sean para uso exclusivo de la Policía nacional y las Fuerzas Armadas"

But you still may be able to have and use and carry firearms in Ecuador, just not bring them in from outside, if you can complete all the detailed steps involved, listed in this 2017 article updated for 2019:

https://informacionecuador.com/permiso- … ualizados/

Although the long list of requirements is specifically targeted towards Ecuadorians, an expat may be able to slide through if he/she is a senior, because:

"12.  Las personas de la tercera edad están exentas de presentar el certificado de votación y cédula militar"

So it probably can be done.  But I have a feeling it would still take some persistence and negotiation with the permit issuing authorities, and a good command of Spanish, for anyone as a foreigner to get permission.

Here is a 23-page PDF which I am sure you'd have to become familiar with in many of its particulars, especially about the tenencia parts, ""REGLAMENTO A LA LEY DE FABRICACION, IMPORTACION, EXPORTACION, COMERCIALIZACION Y TENENCIA DE ARMAS, MUNICIONES, EXPLOSIVOS Y ACCESORIOS", translated roughly "REGULATION OF THE LAW OF FABRICATION, IMPORTATION, EXPORTATION, COMMERCIALIZATION AND POSSESSION OF ARMS, MUNITIONS, EXPLOSIVES AND ACCESSORIES":

https://www.defensa.gob.ec/wp-content/u … sorios.pdf

Thanks for a detailed response.

Bigbrad2008 wrote:

The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.

With a few caveats that you have omitted.

1) the good guy has a better aim
2) the good guy is prepared to shoot first
3) the good guy doesn't miss and now you have an angry bad guy with nothing to lose

Then probably an amendment stating that although the good guy may stop the bad guy, the police may decide it was an excessive response and now the good guy is the bad guy spending years in jail for murder or assault with a deadly weapon.

The whole spiel of "the only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy" is a load of nonsense. I imagine I can assume your nationality and ask you, is your country safer from gun crime than other countries with stricter gun laws? The answer is unequivocally, no. No it is not. It is an unarguable fact.

To the poster above whose post seemed to imply that pensioners could get a gun, I hope that is just a misunderstanding. Because I cannot see having a load of OAPs having guns help any one. It just adds more guns to the country, a lot in the hand of people whose reactions are not what they were, easy targets for more "bad guys" to get hold of quality weapons (as opposed to a lot of the rudimentary weapons currently used) and means that any intruders who would have turned up with a baseball bat are now more likely to turn up with guns and deaths and violence will escalate upwards.

you might want to quote the whole thing, especially if you are trying to debate a point. Or just admit you let your emotions rule.

For those that think a gun is unlikely to help, I may in some cases agree. If you never shot a gun before and got it to stick in your night stand in case of emergency, it's probably not a good idea. But someone that is from the US and had owned and shot guns frequently through his life, im sure they would be better equipped to fend off an intruder rather than being the victim of said intruder. Because there is probably a good chance the intruder has never shot or at best infrequently shot any gun.

The odds of needing a gun is substantially higher for an expat than the average Ecuadorian if only for the fact that everyone knows expats are all rich. If you live out in the country away from other homes the odds went up some more.

It's probably good guns are not legal here as long as I dont become a victim.  It saves me from having to figure how to get rid of a body. lol

The one true fact in any home intrusion is, when seconds count the police are (fill in the time) away.

User, Your understanding is solid. The silly quote you point to is, as you say, not found in fact. Everywhere in the world where guns are carefully restricted and monitored, there is far less unnecessary death....so much so in the USA that the extra figures are now classified by American professionals as the most severe plague health crisis America has, eclipsing even fentanyl death and dwarfing the AIDS crisis.

As the sad phenomena is a culturally based one, it spreads wherever Americans move, diseasing the cultures it comes in contact with.  For example, I have personally seen two of the most famous areas in the world, for peace and safety, change. The Golden Triangle in Provence, France and the Vilcabamba area in Ecuador. Americans smuggle in guns (can't leave home without one!) and the first time they hear locals stealing downstairs, they grab the gun from the night table and rush downstairs a'blazing. They inevitably die and the gun becomes another contribution to the invaders. The days of gunless robberies end.

The sane solution is to stay in the bedroom, and make a claim for a brand new television the next day from the insurance company and be left with an interesting story. After all, what is insurance for?  I don't see anyone sitting with a fire hose just in case when they have insurance....so why carry killing weaponry? 

But you simply cannot fight culture/heritage/zeitgeist. It is something ingrained from birth and for them to think in ANY OTHER WAY is aberrant behavior for them. Very SO sad. The only thing that one can do is pity them..and those they come into contact with.

I live in the USA and my husband and I travel back and forth to our home.  We want to follow Ecuadorian law so we are okay not having a gun.  But, I would like to know how most people protect themselves at home.
If someone breaks in while we are home - ok, I'd let them take what they want - things can be replaced. 
Someone mentioned insurance.  Do people have home insurance?  If so, what companies and how much? 
None of the people I know have home owners insurance.
Just wondering....

Robin

1) if you had bothered to read my initial thread it was obvious it said it goes both ways, guns in anyone hands results in shooting folks, go back and read it. 2) the murder rate in Ecuador is dropping and it is very low in Loja. 3) a person political stance and intelligence are not that geographically defined, you for example would be classified as uneducated in any area. 4) I did observe the most amount of violence when I was a visiting Scholar at Cambridge but am smart enough to realize that is not a valid way to get data and it is biased, so I discount it.

BigBrad,

Respectfully, I am not wanting to own a gun in Ecuador.
I just want to know what most people do for home protection.  We will have an alarm system soon, but I also know that the police do not come because the system does not tie to the police station.

The murder rate is low in Ecuador and that is good.

My post was not directed to you. imo, owning a gun just invites trouble. I have no clue on insurance. I might try the method of having nothing worth stealing when I move there. In regards to gun issue in the us, what happens in other countries has little bearing on the us. Why we have 350 million guns so only an arrogant moron would think that getting rid of most guns in the US is feasible. Let me know what you decide to do

RobinJoel wrote:

BigBrad,
Respectfully, I am not wanting to own a gun in Ecuador.
I just want to know what most people do for home protection.  We will have an alarm system soon, but I also know that the police do not come because the system does not tie to the police station.
The murder rate is low in Ecuador and that is good.

Like most things..these days, one must go "compared to what?" Ecuador has a low murder rate by South American standards, even by the standards of the USA. But South America has the worst continental death rate by firearms on the planet, and the US rate is appalling by any standard save its own. The US is somewhere between Panama and Uruguay, 6 times that of Canada (including Western Canada) and 48 times that of the UK and European nations. https://bit.ly/1zKNqVI Only an American would find joy in Ecuador's figures. It is a cultural heritage thing and America is different from almost all developed nations.

Insurance is wise everywhere in the world and it is very inexpensive here. But you are right, I have met many Americans without house or even car insurance. I have no idea why they follow that route. Perhaps they think it is a saving. But there are many horror stories of what can happen if you hit and Ecuadorian and not instantly and eloquently prove to the angry gathering crowd that you and your car are insured.

Condo insurance is less necessary as your property is covered by the building's general policy (assuming that is paid up to date).  The obtainable coverage for belongings and furniture is extremely limited and super expensive for what one gets.

Try using logic, you claimed the influx of American have made it more gun crazy, the facts say murder rate in that region dropped. Use facts and logic, and read my initial post in this thread, and apologize.

Added police in some places have had an effect.

But I was there when mild B&Es turned to murders. Most of the Americans in the Vilacabamba area are packing as are those on the Coast (and everywhere Americans go). The locals know now to carry guns, which of course they steal from Americans who don't report them as they are illegally held. I have seen the same thing over and over, in France, Italy..virtually everywhere Americans expat to.

I sincerely wish an apology was warranted..but until you can assure the world that no American expats  bring their weaponry abroad or find some everywhere they go, it would be hypocritical.

The simple fact is the American culture has become toxic in many areas....and that toxicity spreads.  Combining uncontrolled aggressivity (which we all see from Americans posting on literally any anglo forum)  with easily obtained weapons is never a happy combination. However, I see you have no wish to speak about death rates in America.

Now that we have established that Ecuador is safer than the USA (which doesn't say much) here is what the US says about Ecuador. Who should be believed, your government or you?
https://bit.ly/2UpKLom

Did you read my initial post in this thread, yes or no?

RobinJoel wrote:

. . . I would like to know how most people protect themselves at home.
If someone breaks in while we are home - ok, I'd let them take what they want - things can be replaced. 
Someone mentioned insurance.  Do people have home insurance?  If so, what companies and how much? 
None of the people I know have home owners insurance. . . .

I'm sure it depends on where you are (city/country).  Out in the country, it really is a combination of factors.  Almost everyone owns a dog (not an inside "pet").  You generally don't invite strangers onto your property and certainly don't open your doors to them.  A couple have "security" systems (just a button to press for flashing lights and sirens to alert friends/neighbors).  And some have guns.  But mostly, they either live a simple life like the average Ecuadorian (low chance of being robbed) or live like the rich (with security/gated communities/etc.).  I haven't heard of any actual "break-ins" around here (crow bars/etc.), most happen when someone is invited onto the property and then their "friends" show up.  It generally involves quite a bit of physical violence but only occasionally death.

Maybe in the cities people actually break down doors or cut through the iron bars over the windows, but I can't imagine that's common (unless you're quite rich).  What I hear about mostly on the news are muggings (getting a little too common), carjackings, and burglaries where people didn't have bars over their windows or didn't keep their doors locked or in apartments/condos without adequate security.

As for insurance, I don't know anyone with any form of insurance other than health (IESS).  It seems to be a rather foreign concept (at least in my area).  Or maybe I don't know enough rich folks.

Thanks for your response about security.  It was good information and seemingly realistic.  We are not rich but we are not in a town.  We love where we are and just want to be safe and follow the general rules.  We are bringing two lab pups with us.  I used to train them and love the breed. I will train the two we bring in the fall.  I look forward to being there with my husband for good - except for trips back to see family and friends. 
We love the culture and the people.  We want part two to be an adventure!

Robin

Hi Everyone,

I see the post is from 2010... being that we are now in 2021, has anything changed since Lasso is now President?

My family and I are planning on relocating mid 2022 and I am interested in bringing my 9mm and or .223/.556 AR.

Yes, I know many of you are against firearms and understandably so, but Ecuador has changed quite a bit since this thread was first created. In recent months, there have been intense massacres in prisons, both in Guayaquil and Quito. Narco trafficking has become more and more prevalent. The level and frequency of violence is increasing. Robberies and theft are on the rise. We have family members who are live in Quito, living in upper class areas, that have had their cars stolen, in front of their home.

In short, Ecuador is changing and in some cases, from what we know, it's becoming more dangerous, for lack of a better word.

Hence, my interest in bringing my home defense firearms. I also very much like the idea of rubbing shoulders with the locals at the gun range. Always good to make connections with local law enforcement and military personnel.

Importing is prohibited. Importing or exporting firearms anywhere in the world is generally tricky.

However, you might be able to buy certain firearms in Ecuador under limited circumstances.

Lasso and others want to expand ownership, but this this isn't a top legislative priority. The priority here seems to be massive unemployment or informal employment.

Here's news on the topic from October 2021 and includes some history and law.
https://www.eluniverso.com/noticias/seg … anos-nota/

Taxes to be slashed for gun purchases.

Presidente Lasso says he will cut taxes on

firearms and ammunition from 300 percent

to 30 percent this year, 2023.

El Presidente says the reduction is necessary

to assist authorized users in preparing to

fight against crime.  There has been an

increase in violent crime, especially on the

Ecuadorian coast related to drug trafficking.

News source... www.cuencahighlife.com

Moderated by Bhavna last year
Reason : Off-topic
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

@cccmedia

"Nobody here wants newly-arrived Gringos roaming around with a bow or a "muzzleloader" trying to hunt animals for "subsistence."  You can subsist in Ecuador without shooting up the countryside."

This surprises me. Hunting invasive species, such as feral hogs, is a big thing in the states. It seems that Ecuador has the same problem. Is there no way for someone to go out there and help keep the invasive species down and get some bacon, in the process? In the US muzzleloaders and bows are not really regulated, you do not need any background check to buy them, and they are not considered firearms. I am not sure if they are as lenient in Ecuador on these items or if there is any kind of way to legally hunt anything.

Dear R S D65,

Welcome to the Ecuador forums of Expat.com ...

If you're living in a mostly rural area and feral hogs

are a problem, I predict you can get permission as

an Expat to keep a rifle at your place.  Your attorney

can assist you in wording your application to best

advantage.

Decades ago, my father kept a rifle in the house and

used it to shoot ground hogs on the 42-acre property

my grandfather had bought as a family compound

in upstate New York.   I have no idea whether those

ground hogs were 'feral' and I didn't consider them

a problem at the time Dad bought the rifle.

cccmedia

Hello folks, thanks for providing a great source of info for aspiring ex-pats.

Have there been any more recent changes to civilian firearms laws in Ecuador?

Have the prices come down much since taxes have been reduced? Could someone provide some recent examples for firearms/ammunition?

Ideally would like info on ownership/transport/target shooting.

I was hoping to hear from someone with in-country experience rather than Wiki/Google.

Thanks again everybody.

Have there been any more recent changes to civilian firearms laws in Ecuador?

...Ideally would like info on ownership/transport/target shoot.    -@pjorgensen997

As an Expat, you may not legally bring firearms into Ecuador.

Due to trouble on the Coast in recent years due to cartel-related

drug trafficking, some Ecuadorian citizens' gun rights have been

expanded in an effort to protect the population.  However,

as a rule, this does not give greater gun rights to non-citizen Expats.

Historically, Ecuador has not had a gun culture.  Some citizens

applied for and received a permit to have a gun in their homes

for protection, notably in remote or rural areas.

Ecuador voters are about to go to the polls to vote on

El Presidente's referendum questions that include enshrining

the rights of the military to use weapons against the recent

waves of carnage by traffickers in coastal provinces.

Recreational hunting is not a thing in Ecuador.

For Expats for whom gun ownership and use is of paramount

importance, Ecuador is probably not a good choice for them.

cccmedia, designated Expat.com expert for Ecuador and Colombia

Thank you for your prompt reply.

The thread title is "all you need to know about firearms in Ecuador", so I simply asked some relevant questions.

I did not suggest at any point that 'gun' ownership was of 'paramount importance' to me, I simply enjoy target shooting as a pastime.

Maybe someone else, in-country will be able to provide some answers to my query.

Have a great day.

Here is the official Ecuador government page on firearm ownership.  It lists the requirements which must be followed by Ecuadorian citizens.  As was previously stated, foreigners are excluded.  The page has phone numbers if you wish to contact the pertinent government authorities, who have the first, last, and only say about who may legally own and carry and use firearms in Ecuador:

https://www.gob.ec/ccffaa/tramites/perm … te-armas-0

Yes I've had a look at that, I was enquiring as a prospective Permanent Resident.

My query seems to have caused some consternation which is unfortunate considering the thread title.

I won't bother you any further in regards to this topic.

Yes I've had a look at that, I was enquiring as a prospective Permanent Resident. My query seems to have caused some consternation which is unfortunate considering the thread title.I won't bother you any further in regards to this topic.        -@pjorgensen997

No bother at all, not the least consternation registered on my part.  I was fortunate to live in Ecuador long ago when there were virtually no onerous regulations against anyone owning firearms, and I personally knew many foreigners who owned and even imported rifles, shotguns and pistols.  Those days are long gone, though.

But I repeat, contact the offices given in the link, via email or telephone - they are the only ones, not anyone on an internet forum, who have any power to help you.

Thanks, might be prudent for me to attain Permanent Residence first though. I would expect even Ecuador has it's share of hoplophobes serving in the public sector :)        Not a deal breaker either way.

Thanks for your advice.

Please just be aware, permanent residence for a foreigner in Ecuador does not confer all the rights of citizenship.  And in any case, with some, the "hoplophobia" never goes away, as well as xenophobia. 

I would expect to experience some level of xenophobia in Ecuador considering the history of meddling by 'others' in Latin American countries. 

With the level of polarization that the entire world seems to currently be experiencing, one 'might' come to the conclusion that xenophobia is part of 'the human condition'.  After all, it seems to manifest itself in the most curious of places.           

Hopefully that is not the case.

Enough on that.      Perhaps another forum member more skilled than I, can put this thread back on the rails.