I arrived!

Well my move is finally complete! I arrived yesterday morning to Goiania with my boys. My wife returned before us to work. I'm excited for our new journey. Was already out looking to buy another car for myself. I'm in no hurry but will need one soon. Kids start school Monday, same school they attended last year.

My focus now is to complete my Portuguese speaking lessons. Get moved into our new house, workers finishing up within the next week or two.

Living the good life!

Craig

Welcome to Brazil Craig!!! Good to hear that you've finally made it.

If you're in the market for a car just be prepared for the fact that cars are more expensive here than they are in the USA and you're in for a mountain of taxes that go along with car ownership too. When you purchase a new car you're going to pay a tax called IPI (imposto sobre produto industrializado) which is a great rip-off, and it is based on the displacement, type of fuel used, and whether the car is imported or national. You can find yourself paying up to 36.4% of the car's value for an imported vehicle over 2000 cc that burns gasoline. Then on top of that you'll pay license fees, IPVA (Imposto sobre a Propriedade de Veículos Automotores) which you'll pay yearly, either in a single payment or in 3 monthly installments (Jan. Feb. and March), DPVAT (Danos Pessoais Causados por Veículos Automotores de Vias Terrestres) which is the obligatory insurance each state charges all motorists.

Cheers,
James
expat.com Experts Team

Bought a used Mitubishi Outlander, checking on insurance now. With a strong dollar I think the price I got was wonderful! Picking it up tomorrow after inspection and paperwork is final. So now we are the proud owners of 2 SUV's. No new cars for us until we are established here.

Welcome Back  :one

Thanks Pete, it's great to be here living the dream!

I hope it always stays a dream, and never a nightmare

Hey Craig,

Hope you enjoy it, around goiana there`s a plenty of beautiful places to visit!

Hey folks, I'm one week into my move here. It's going good, a few struggles here and there. The positives out way the negative so I'm very happy! I have to remind myself everything is slower here and work will not be completed on time. Our house is slowly be completed. The painters are about done...the electrician comes and goes as he pleases but I'm assured he is my in-laws favorite guy.

I've picked up the duties as Mr. Mom. Taking boys to school, shopping and errands. My oldest son helps me with words I don't know. Very helpful when you are trying to buy curtain rods.

At the moment I'm solo with the kids. Wife is on business trip and in-laws are in US. So it's sink or swim getting our new life together.

The buying of my car is complete, the guy came to house to inspect it yesterday. His time window was 0800-1200...he showed up at 1530. So my day was wasted with not being productive but I enjoyed playing with the boys and relaxing.

Well I will check in later, tchau!

Hi Craig,

Sounds like you've got everything well in hand. Now all you need to do is remember that it's not only the electrician and the car inspection guy... everybody will be late.  :D

Cheers,
James
expat.com Experts Team

Welcome back....
What do you love the most about Brazil?

So how is your Portuguese? are you going to do lessons at a school or something....My Portuguese is such now that I am functional in Society in most situations , but it's still hard to just open up in and speak day to day small talk with strangers....once the ice is broken however , then it's not a problem

I love the culture and want my kids to grow up here. They can always go back to America when they get older.

As for the Portuguese, it's coming slowly. My wife works full time and I'm trying to finish building our home. So I have a lot of interaction with the workers, etc. Buying curtains was an experience but I got what I needed. Now I'm looking to buy a Fridge, freezer, oven, water purification and dish washer...so more experience trying to speak. Majority of people are very patient with me. I also have to communicate with my kids teachers and school. Tomorrow the screen guy comes back to install and propane gets delivered. I'm not able to carrying on a long conversation but I get by.

I did celebrate Carnival in Alto Paraíso which was absolutely amazing! Definitely going back real soon.

Learning the Portuguese is definitely an interesting journey....it was one of my Primary reason for coming here to Brazil.
Been here for the last 8 has definitely challenged me in ways I could not have imagined before! Looking forward to completing a full year in Brazil

Well I'm at about 6 weeks in country and still loving it. House is about completed! I've fully turned into Mr. Mom, taxi kids to school and futebol 4 nights a week. It's perfect and I am really enjoy it. Total opposite of my 20 plus years in military.

Got to remind myself daily everything is way slower here and workers are...it's hard to describe it. I would say 1 American can do what 3 Brazilians do in one day.

Another thing that is disturbing, is seeing older gentleman just throw their trash on the ground. Walking with a cup of coffee and just drop it when finished. I seriously want to yell at them.

My Portuguese is improving daily and I may have picked up a substitute English job. Not really looking for a job at the moment but I can cover for this lady from time to time if she is ill or on vacation.

Well I will check in at 2 months in!

Substitute English Job....you mean reaching English?

Hello everyone! It's a wonderful day here in Brazil, minus the political mess that's going on. LOL!

Well I got my RNE this week and it was fairly easy. Now I can go get my CPF. I went the Brazilian children route, was the simplest. The marriage route or retirement route was complicated. So now I'm a legal immigrant!

Not much else going on! Going fishing this weekend...

That's really nice to see how are u enjoying your move to Brazil! I really hope this country gera better and better after All this politic scandals. This times I feel ashamed being brasilian!
Lucky, happiness and lots of good moments for you and your family.

Well a month later since last post! Traveled a little, went to São Paulo and Campos do Jordão last week. The big city was fun for one night (a little expensive) and the city in the mountains was freezing cold (12C) but lots of fun for the weekend. I'm still in Mr Mom mode, gym and studying Portuguese as much as possible. Last night met the International friends out here in Goiania. It's great to see a few other expats and BS. I recommend checking out InterNations in your local area. Google it! Well I will check back in next month. I guess I should pursue my CPF. I kinda put the brakes on and put it on the back burner.

Campos do Jordão is about 1 hour 20 minutes from where I live , I can there for the day now and then.
We often go there for the day....there is a breath taking Nature reserve there called "Horta Florestal"
full of rivers and prehistoric forests with 4 or 5 easy trails.
I put a photo of it up in the photos section.

https://www.expat.com/en/picture/169577-welcome-to-jurassic-park.php?pic_level=3

Yes it was a wonderful visit! Spent 2 nights there. Did the Baden Baden tour, very small but unique. Will return again to escape the heat, couldn't imagine Brazil would have a high altitude city that reminds me of Europe.

Yes it is pretty weird at first isn't it , a Swiss town in the hills of São Paulo , but the thing is Brazil has such a large and diverse population you can find almost anything here if you look hard enough.