Is there any expat community in Uruguay

Hi there, I wanna know about expats communuties or clubs in Montevideo. Well, i saw the network, and really I don't know if there are places.

Best regards.

Esoralles

Welcome to Expat-blog, esoralles ;)

Your discussion has been redirected to the Montevideo forum for effective networking. I hope other members from there will try to respond you soon!

Regards :)

Hi, Esoralles.  There are a few ongoing events that are for English speakers from any country (including Uruguay!).  They are good opportunities to meet other expats here.  Here is a calendar of upcoming events:

meetings.totaluruguay.com/

Shirley

Thank you very much Shirley... These places are open for any people?, or only for members?. My natural language is spanish, but I love to exchange english/spanish.

meetings.totaluruguay.com  has a list of meetings.

The events in Montevideo are open to anyone; there is no club and no memberships and no members!  Just show up and you will be welcome!  Everyone is there to meet people and socialize.  From the website you can click on each meeting for more details. 

Shirley

In terms of Australian/ New Zealand Expats there was like 16 Kiwis and 7 Aussies.
I was living in Uruguay back in 2007 for a year and met all of them (Kiwis and Aussies in an ANZAC Day Celebration).

Hi:
I came to Uruguay with my son a month ago from Houston.  I would like to know if teenagers attend the meetings.  My son is 15 and he wants to meet other teenagers.

Hi:

I am planning to move the business and living to Uruguay and will come in October  for a short. unfortunately I need a visa, even a formal one, and also a Contact person in Uruguay. can somebody do a favor and help to be a Contact person...?

thanks

Yes, there are many ex pat groups in Uruguay.  These are the ones I am aware of:

Every Sunday in Montevideo at noon: Fellini Restaurant located at

Jose Martí 3408 esq. Benito Blanco, in Pocitos

or

Restaurant De Picos Pardos - Pablo de Maria, esq. Rodó

The first, third, and fifth Thursdays of each month in Atlantida, at 1 p.m. at either

Don Vito Restaurant, or
Hotel Piroska.

or in Piriapolis, there is a once or twice per month meeting and you can get details by emailing Gerald Rhodes at [email protected]

There are also ex pat meetings in Punta del Este and possibly in Colonia.  You can get more information about Montevideo especially through- totaluruguay.com.

As far as night life, I would recommend for jazz fans, the Pub Kalima on Durazno 1952 near esquina Juan D. Jackson.  They have excellent live jazz every Friday night beginning at around midnight.

@Shirley

Hello, Shirley!

The link  meetings.totaluruguay.com/  does not seem to be working anymore.  Do you know of another one?  (I reached the main domain but I found it not to be particularly inviting)

You have lived in Uruguay longer than I lived anywhere than in my childhood.  If you would be willing to share some information about your Uruguay experience I would really appreciate it as I am in the process of buying real estate here and some things  I am worried about.  A private message would be welcome.

Thank you so much!

Armin

Hello Armin,

Kindly note that you have posted on a thread that was last active in 2012.

Since Shirley is still active on the forum, I hope that she will be able to respond to you soon.

Cheers,

Yoginee

Expat.com team

Hello, Yoginee,

I saw that, but thank you for mentioning it.   Since you intervened I have a question for you:

How do you find all the posts a certain member made?  I have no luck with that.

Thank you and may you have a good day!

Armin

Yes, a great deal has changed in the expat/immigrant scene since 2010!  People have come and gone, and the various regular get-togethers that existed in Montevideo at that time are no longer happening.  (I miss them!)  The person who started the TotalUruguay website and those weekly gatherings moved to Paraguay, around 2011 I think.

Other gatherings have arisen from time to time; some are centered around a particular interest (food, wine, sports, language practice, reading, playdates for kids).  People find each other on Facebook, and to some extent that has replaced the role of general in-person meetups.  I don't know of a central web page where groups are listed or meetings are announced.  Some are organized privately rather than by public announcements, to keep events manageable and predictable.

I believe there is an InterNations chapter in Montevideo, with scheduled activities for members.  Some expats/immigrants like to attend CouchSurfing get-togethers to meet and mingle with travelers and locals.

P.S.  Armin, I didn't receive a notification for the "@Shirley" mention, so I guess this board doesn't support that function.  Also, if you sent me a direct message, I didn't receive it.  (Perhaps I need to adjust a setting somewhere?)  I will try to send you a direct message.

@Shirley

Thank you for all the information, the thoughtfulness and kindness, Shirley.

I will respond to your private message shortly.  I have had a lot of traveling and some handicaps during the last two days.  My apologies!

All the best!

Armin

P.S.:  I seem to get all the notices from expat.com, even those that I tried to cancel the subscription for.  So it looks that computers are only human too.  You get too little and I too much!  On average all is fine ...

Apologies?  Relax, Armin!  This is Uruguay.  No one's in a rush.  1f642.svg

(And I did receive your reply; thanks!)

I wish I had known of the Forum when I spent the month there Shirley. I am considering spending longer later this year. I spent the month traveling and just mixing with the locals in Montevideo, Periopolis, and Maldonado areas.