Radiator Trouble

I need help. I live in an old house. the radiators are the old style ones. I am not sure that they are working. Are they supposed to be hot when you touch them? we usually switch them on at 5pm till the next morning and still the house is cold that i need a tshirt and a jersey on at all times. is this normal for the winter?are these radiators really working?
thanks

Please refer to this topic, posted very very recently.  It's always good to search first before posting a new topic, your question may already be answered  :whistle:https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=553212

Romaniac
Expat.com Experts Team

Please note that I asked how hot are they supposed to get. I cant call a plumber or open anything if I dont know how hot they are supposed to get in the first place. So,again,how hot are they supposed to.get? hot to the touch kind of hot? i want to know how you know that they are working properly or not. if it has been on all night should it be hot when i touch it??

Yes, they should be hot, the entire radiator should be noticeably hot (between 40-50c).  They are working properly when they are warm/hot and it is no longer cold in the room, pretty easy :)  Once you turn the heat on, if they are the old cast iron radiators they will take longer to heat up (maybe 30 min??) but if they are newer aluminum/steel ones they should be hot in 15 min.  Definitely doesn't take overnight to notice :)

Do you have only one radiator in your living space?  :blink:

no.i have more than one.lol.in each room. im new to radiators.lol. where i come from its very very hot.so I didnt know if they work or not. i am convinced that they are not!!! thankyou so much for indulging me