Unprecedented moment in Brazil's history.

Never before in the history of this nation have the top three executive positions been in jeopardy at the same time.

The possible impeachment of President Dilma Rousseff is something we've been hearing about for a while. We've also known about the move to revoke the mandate of Speaker of the House Eduardo Cunha.

Now there is a possible move to impeach Vice President Michel Temer too. Things sure are heating up in Brasília.

So, exactly what will happen in the event of impeachment? If only Dilma is impeached then Vice President Michel Temer will assume the presidency until the next election in 2018.

If both Dilma and Temer are impeached, since this would happen during the first half of their mandate then according to the Constitution there would have to be a new election.

Wouldn't it be a very interesting turn of events if all three of them get the boot at the same time? Guess we can always hope!

Cheers,
James
expat.com Experts Team

So, you're sure the devil you don't know is better than the devil you do know?

I think that it's abundantly clear that Brazil is in deep trouble and nothing will change unless and until Dilma Rousseff either renounces or is impeached. If she remains in the presidency this country is doomed economically.

As far as Temer as president goes, it's impossible to tell what the economic effects of that would be. Given the present investigation into his activities I'm sure that there would still be some negative impact especially on foreign markets. The reason being that he'd come to the presidency by default, not as an elected president.

I think it's fair to say that the very best case scenario would be if they were both impeached sometime this year (2016), which would force a new presidential election.

Cheers,
James
expat.com Experts Team

With Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton as the front runners for the nomination of their respective parties in the USA its not too far off to suggest the events currently taking place in Brasilia could very well occur in Washington D.C. this decade.