Marimbondo

Hi every one that might look at this
Dose anyone know the best way to kill marimbondo
we have a roof full of them, and I need to to work on the roof and for them to be gone

Hi Pete,

I can tell you from painful experience that unless you have protective clothing don't even try... call in a professional. They're nasty buggers and unlike bees their stingers don't pull away from their body so they can sting multiple times. They are extremely aggressive when disturbed in the slightest.

If you still have the courage to give it a wack, you've got to put on heavy clothes and work gloves, tape up the cuffs of your shirt where they meet the gloves, your pant legs too and run a strip down the front of your shirt or jacket to seal it up too. They get inside and you're in big trouble. If you can find a zip up pair of coveralls all the better, wear that over heavy clothing. Use a hat with a wide brim and cover it with fine netting they can't get through. A beekeeper's hat would be ideal if you can lay your hands on one.

If you at all possible try to access the underside of the roof, since you need to remove the nest as a single unit, wrapping it in a large plastic garbage bag if possible before you remove it. Quickly seal the bag as you pull the nest into it. Place the bag, nest and all still sealed on the ground, gently stomp on it crushing the nest as much as possible without bursting the bag, douse it with gasoline or alcohol and set the whole works on fire. If you have multiple nests that only multiplies your risk of stings.

Glad I'm not in your shoes at the moment my friend... best of luck!

Cheers,
James
expat.com Experts Team

Hi James,
I know all about the sting, over the last year, ive been stung about 40 times now, I was stung 10 times in one go
I got stung on my eye lid yesterday
I think there must be 200 nest in the roof at the moment
I found the best time is at night, when most of them have come home
I was thinking a long the line, you were suggesting but I know iam not going to get red of them in one sitting

Do not stand on a step ladder and knock nest down with a broom...I got stung at least 20 some times. It was a horrible experience and I slept for a few hours afterwards. My wife was very worried about the reaction.

Hi mate
my problem is the in my roof, and the only way in to the roof is a small door way , the other problem theres about 200 small nest, and each nest has about 30 of per nest, and the nest are spread all over the roof space
so I have to get in the and stay in there until its all clear
so I need good poison, breathing equipment and protective clothing
so for the moment I need the poison

There really aren't too many commercially available insecticides that are very effective against marimbondos in their nests and spraying a nest will likely irritate the wasps causing them to swarm and sting. Certainly the most effective way of eliminating them is by fire.

Since you're talking about small nests, you might consider using smaller bags, remove the nests one-by-one using the smaller bags and sealing each one before you deposit it into a larger bag. At night, the attic area shouldn't be too hot to work in and likely you're not going to disturb the marimbondos in the other nests as long as you don't make too much noise or jostle them. Also make sure you don't wear any perfumes or deodorants with a strong smell, that can set them off too.

Once you have all the nests removed then take the larger bag outside and gently stomp them and burn the whole works.

There is an insecticide spray called Alcance that is intended to be sprayed from a distance of about 5 meters. Don't know much about it, but you can check it out here.

http://www.netpets.com.br/casa-e-jardim … ondos-310g

Cheers,
James
expat.com Experts Team

Hi james
is there nothing you don't know,
Borax ive been told is good,
I just need a way of puffing borax out of a tube, I will make something that will work in the new year, and let you know how I get on
, it only kills bugs and not any wiled life
I have to be carful in what I use, I have a large water tank that open,,
so need to kill the black hornist and not the wife and I

Hi Pete,

Water tank that's open??? You mean it doesn't have a cover? Wow, that's an open invitation for breeding of the Aedes Aegypti mosquito, which is responsible for transmitting diseases like Dengue, Yellow Fever, Chikungunya and Zika.  Really you need to put a tight fitting cover over the "caixa de água" right away, they are definitely not supposed to be open.

Cheers,
James
expat.com Experts Team

Spanish Pete,
                          I just killed marimbondos in the backyard using a spray bottle set to stream. My wife was washing white laundry and I had collected the soapy drain water to treat palms for white flies. I killed the marimbondos dead from a distance of two feet.
Six kills in 10 minutes I guess that makes me a double ace !

tell me about it, ive been trying to get a cover, but no one makes one, so iam making my own, but need to get into the roof space to fit it, and that's why I need the little bugger gone
the good thing about the water tank, is that the water is used  very fast so it constantly being filled

well dune, I will try that as well
I do know the little bugger like to drink soppy water and seem to die drinking it

Hi all
well ive came up with 2 ways killing marimbondo,  and one of the way's is simple and cheep, and can be done at a distance and, it seams to be working