How Much Salary To Ask For ???

Dear Mr. Sumitran,

I am a hotel professional working in the fast food industry in mumbai and have been offered a job as Operations Manager - Oman for one of the fast food brands based out of Muscat. I will be handling about 15 existing stores and will have to open about 35 more throughout oman in the coming 3 years. I am presently working as a GM and earning 18 lacs ctc and my wife is earning 3 lacs ctc per annum in India. The omani  company is offering me 1000 omani rials  plus furnished accommodation, family visa, fuel and a car on self driving basis if i procure a omani driving licence at my own cost. i have a 13 year old son who is presently studying in 8th std and wish to get my family to stay with me in muscat in the next academic year. I have never worked abroad and hence want to take up this opportunity. Request your good self to suggest what salary should i ask for in accordance with the prevailing salary norms for similar profiles in Oman ?

Hi nellson.m.74,

I am not quite sure what you mean when you say ‘fast food brands based out of Muscat.' Some home grown brand perhaps ?

If the company has already made you an offer, it is unlikely that they will double it, even if you were to demand so. Usually, depending on the company / group's size salaries would be more or less fixed.

I do not know what the salary structures in the hospitality industry are. However, you could ask them for R.O. 1,500/- in hand, after all expenses are met (like utility bills, annual paid vacation with return airfare for self and family, medical coverage for self and for family, child's education, etc). See how they respond.

Since accommodation is provided, you can straightaway put aside R.O. 350/- to R.O. 450/- as savings.

Nelson - if both you and your wife are earning 21 lacs p.a. in India I wouldn't suggest you move here for anything less than OMR 1500 + all the benefits/perks you mentioned. Its simply not worth it.