Assistant Professor salary

Hi everyone,

I was offered a job as an Assistant Professor with a Technology College in Oman (location is unknown yet). Is a salary of 1700 (inclusive of housing and utilities) a reasonable offer? I earned my PhD 9 years ago and I have 11 years of teaching experience, married with one child.

Cheers

Hi Addy_Sonda,

Notwithstanding your doctorate and your past work experience, the salary quoted above is reasonable. Ideally, for the sake of your qualifications only, you should be paid more. But then the world we live in is hardly ideal !

More importantly, you must be concerned about the place of your posting. Any place outside of Muscat, barring perhaps Salalah, would be a dead-end for you. In fact, if you are coming to the Sultanate to teach, then you might as well kiss your career goodbye. Professionally you will gain absolutely nothing. Financially, you might.

If you are going to be teaching the locals, you will soon be frustrated. Suggest you read through the numerous informative posts in the forum for you to get an idea of what to expect in the Sultanate.

Thank you very much Mr. Sumitran for your prompt reply and more insight you have given into this. I really appreciate it.

Do you know what an experienced Professor would earn. Thanks

i am working as a Trainer here and teaching locals. Facing too much difficulty as these guys are totally different from sub continent trainees.
Regarding salary you should ask more around 2500 OMR as I am sure they can pay you that much because all you need is to cash yourself as teachers are in high demand. I had done my mistake already....

Thanks.

may i know how to get professor job in muscat......bcz as u ppl have got job here.just i am asking u to help me out with this.
thanks in advance.

Well you are offered place in college then this salary is fine they wont pay you for your experience etc. In uni you can get upto 2000 OMR but they are very few uni's in Oman. Rest Sumitran told you all

kavitha paulsamy wrote:

may i know how to get professor job in muscat......bcz as u ppl have got job here.just i am asking u to help me out with this.
thanks in advance.

Hi
In general, to get a Professor post, you need a Western qualification (UK, US, Canada, Australia, etc.) plus 8-10 years experience. Sometimes they do offer Professor post to those trained & worked only in India but have got an excellent Academic track record (especially research publications) and/or good Administrative experience in educational institutions.

Thanks for the reply

What would Professor salary in UAE (say UAEU) be. Thanks.

Hi,

May I know how your visiting ass. prof. went please? I've invited for the same position and same process and very interested to know what should I expect, teaching load, salary, further hiring process please?

Cheers,