What is the cost for a notary to notarize a document in PR?

What is the cost for a notary to notarize a document in PR?   I am looking for a cheap provider.

Please give name, address, and phone along with cost if you have it.
The document is already constructed.  It is a simple 1 page that needs notarized.

Does the banks in pr offer that service like in the states? Have you checked? Before we moved to pr we went to our credit union in the states and they did it for free

In Puerto Rico, only attorneys may notarize a document.

frogrock wrote:

In Puerto Rico, only attorneys may notarize a document.

Frogrock is right.  We had a discharge of mortgage that needed notarized.  I am a notary in Michigan and thought that it would be a simple process.  Of course, with Puerto Rico, NOTHING is simple!  You need to hire an attorney to notarize the document.  The good part of it is, most attorneys over here are not as expensive as they are in the States.

Things are different here in PR, usually worse relative to the states.

Yes, its free in the states.  No, its not free in PR.  Yes, in the states, anyone who qualifies could be a notary.  In PR, only lawyers can be notaries.   This helps keep prices higher than what they should be.  It doesn't, or shouldn't take legal training to notarize a documents, as non-lawyers in the states can do the same thing, usually for free to $10 at most in the states.

Yes, I know that in PR, only lawyers can notarize documents.  My questions remain, who are some in PR that have low rates to notarize?  Their name, address, phone, cost?  Thanks

There is one in Yauco, close to the major office. He did some documents for me and charge me $15. Im sorry I cannot remember his name.

In PR the cost is from $25 up this is because in the mainland a Notary Public is not necessary a lawyer in PR it is I was Notary Public in VA and most of the times I didn't charge any money,  to notarized a document.

I did a survey of about 10.  The range I was quoted was from $30 to $75.

csmi wrote:

I did a survey of about 10.  The range I was quoted was from $30 to $75.

That is  a very broad range, I will imagine the closer you are to a big city (SJ, Ponce, Mayaguez) the higher the cost. I am glad the small town lawyers are more inexpensive..... $75 for notarize a document is a little too much.

It is the same with doctors visits, in my town, the local physician will charge $25 for a consult if you don't have insurance. She will even give you some samples medication the reps leave her if you cant afford a prescription.

Here in Aguada I was charged $20 by one and $25 by another...

David

That is most likely correct. The closer to a larger city the more expensive. The good thing is that you can just look in yellow pages orcwalk in and ask the front dedk and they will tell you right away. Single page notarization will be cheapest (approx $15-$20) staying around $15 if the lawyer carries the customs stamps required (normally $10) otherwise you have to go to the "collecturia" and purchase one. But the price will vary with the type of transaction. So you still have to ask lawyers and tell them what you are tryng to notarize. If it requires more than just seal and signature tgey will charge more. Is all about investigating before hand. Hope it helps. If tge lawyer knows you or you can be referred it will be cheaper as well. The law of the caribbean. :-)

I've had some documents notarized in the past and never paid more than 20 bucks. Now this was done by a very simple, humble lawyer/notary here in the boonies, maybe that explains the moderate price. :)

Gary wrote:

I've had some documents notarized in the past and never paid more than 20 bucks. Now this was done by a very simple, humble lawyer/notary here in the boonies, maybe that explains the moderate price. :)

Yup! The closer you are to the big cities, the more it will cost you....

adlin20 wrote:

The closer you are to the big cities, the more it will cost you....

Not only for notary fees. :)