Process / procedure for utilities - transfer of name of electricity?

The house i will move to is currently occupied and the electric and water is in their name.

When i move in, do i transfer the account to me?

Do they shutoff the service then come back several weeks later to turn it on in my name?

Can i send my son which lives in PR to do the transfer so that i dont have to spend a few thousand dollars traveling to the island and if so, what will he need from me to do it?

Can they send the bill to my mainland address?

Rey,
You can have the bill sent to your Massachusetts address.  They did not shut off the water or electric when I transferred property into my name.  I don't know first hand that you can send someone else, but I have been told by some of my new neighbors that the realtor did this for them.

My fiancé did it for me but I believe she had to show authorization. They won't shut off if you do it right away

ReyP wrote:

The house i will move to is currently occupied and the electric and water is in their name.

When i move in, do i transfer the account to me?

Do they shutoff the service then come back several weeks later to turn it on in my name?

Can i send my son which lives in PR to do the transfer so that i dont have to spend a few thousand dollars traveling to the island and if so, what will he need from me to do it?

Can they send the bill to my mainland address?

Rey,

You will need to write a letter to authorize your son to address any issues with your accounts (water and electricity) but this will be after you open the accounts. If you do a power of attorney, he will be able to open an account for water and electricity on your name. You will need proof of ownership for new connections (for rentals they require rental agreement). You can request they send the bills to a mainland address, but both AAA and AEE have websites were you can pay the bill on line. They will require a deposit for water and electricity.

Also, having the meter number and a copy of the previous owner bill will help expedite the water transfer, specially for rural areas.

So where do I go to stand in line and make the change when it is time?
I will be in Ceiba.
For paying, What are those web sites?
Can I pay with a mainland check?
Do I have to use a credit card?

Rey,

I will ask my wife and get back to you....

We had to show a copy of our lease at both aaa and aee. We need the address information and for us it was mixed up. Our place had 3 different addresses used some used mail box # some use km # and another had an address that was a main rd off our road

We go online see our bills and pay them that way or you can pay over the phone

Just remember you need to make a deposit of any $100 to aaa and aee

A deposit of 100 for each?
Can you give me the web sites?

Here are the links Rey:

Water: http://www.acueductospr.com/

Electric: http://www.aeepr.com/

Thanks Dora!

You can translate the website to English on your computer

I am fluent in both languages, no need to translate, thanks