Going back to America, Too big of a cultural shock

Hello Expats,
I wonder if you know of anyone who has come to live in Ecuador and has decided to return to the States because it was too difficult to adjust to the change. We are going through that right now. It seems like everyone living in Ecuador is so happy.
Thanks for any comment.

I canŽt really comment about Ecuador, but I just returned to the US a couple of weeks ago from Paraguay.

IŽm ready to go to Ecuador ASAP. Everybody is the US is too angry, regardless of whether they are liberal or conservative, rich or poor. ItŽs sad.

LifeŽs too short.

Sorry to hear you are considering a return to US. I am impressed, however, that you have the courage to acknowledge it and know that it may not be for you.  It's OK ~ Ecuador is not for everyone.

In the 3+ years I've been here, I have met a couple folks who have returned.  Total of four.  Three had rented and one had bought (and still owns) property.

For those people that I knew, I think what they all had in common was having really high expectations.  I think that they also didn't do enough homework before coming down. 

For example, all of them had complained that "no one here speaks English".  Well, last I checked this was a Spanish speaking country!!!  Folks also misconstrue Ecuador for being like Panama or Costa Rica ~ they do not cater to English speaking ex-pats down here.  Ecuadorians are very open and friendly with ex-pats, but don't expect them to speak the language, or give you customer service like you could get elsewhere ~ especially here on the Coast!!

The culture shock is also a big thing.  There are still things that irk me after over three years. (ie: the blatant machismo) There are, however, certain "cultural" things that I now do that would probably be considered a no-no if I were back in the States (yes, I admit it, I have adapted to "ecuador" time!!)

Where are you living in Ecuador and how long have you been there?  Have you made many acquaintances?  Perhaps traveling to a different region to get a change of "scenery" may help you. 

Keep us posted and best of luck to you!!

Yes we have several friends who have moved back. Most of the time it is because they  couldn't adjust to the culture.

I have found several good articles speaking to this issue.

It's great here but very different than living in the USA or Europe. Its not third world and all the technology you find in USA you find here.

The medical community is great, food is cheap, housing relativly cheap, but the culture and way of doing things extermly different. 

We have put together a 14 page HELPFUL FACTS REPORT.

email us [email protected] if you want on.

Charles

I am very interested in this topic. 

YANAPANA, you don't list specific culture shock items that are bothering you.  Could you please elaborate?

Okay, we are still in Ecuador

All true! Thanks for using nice words to describe... But, it looks like you were just not prepared. All third world is like this. All Latin countries are... even Chile and Uruguay, although much more expensive. Think real well before taking a long walk on the beach in Puerto Rico or St. Lucia, for example.
Life here has its advantages but not for everyone. This Wickileaks guy would be all right here...

Russian people leave Ecuador once in a while as well.
Probably a few per year, I would say.

chrisf29 wrote:

hola,
. I'm young and I just finished a master's in international development, and I'm looking for work right now.

Where do you live inEcuador. We are hiring contact me at [email protected]

Charles R Barrett

Well, long story short we are back. My husband did not like his job and realized that he can try to make it work here. I think we will this time.

Hi. I sent you an email yesterday, did you get it? I have some questions about elevations, etc.

Edy

Hola, I'm Ecuadorean as well ! Yes, it's hard and thanks for sharing with us your experience here in Ecuador. At least you and your husband received a wonderful experience and he had the opportunity to see Ecuador.

Btw, you forgot how people love to use the bocina here.. ;)

Wish you the best in SF !

I had considered retiring in Ecuador. I went there for a month. Forget it! You just think you are saving money. You can save a lot of money back home by pitching a tent in a public park.

People should warn others about the dangers of living in these third world countries. Feel free to read my blog (you can argue all you want, it was accurate at the time it was written): http://ecuador2010mayjune.blogspot.com/ … 10-us.html

We flew to Cuenca for a month and found it to be so friendly and charming and hospitable..something you won't find in Austin or Los Angeles or Chicago.  Apparently, you were hoping to find people like you are used to in Austin..the rich, the affluent, the snobs. 

You lost your passport and your computer?  TS. Obviously you didn't remember that advice.. "Always keep your luggage and personal items in your hands". Some kid tells you that there is some money on the ground and boy, you have to get it, huh? Are you that money hungry?

Remember that well known book?  "The Ugly American"?  Now I know even more about that title.  It is people like you that go to a different country and want it to be "just like home" and you treat the natives (it IS their country) like crap. I wouldn't want to know you; not in Texas, not in NY and certainly not in Ecuador.

We can live like kings on roughly $1,000 USD a month. And that is with a maid and a gardener too.  We bought a 4 bdrm/4 bath home, complete with a huge stainless steel kitchen, a view of the city and a three car garage in a neighborhood that probably puts yours to shame.  And all of this was?  Yup!  Only $62,000.
Lovely neighbors; most work at high paying jobs and all welcomed us with open arms.

FYI I am a former flight attendant for a major airline and you know what?  I disliked passengers like you on my flights.  Know why?  You demanded (not asked politely) your drinks and your pillow and your blanket RIGHT NOW.  And of course, you couldn't be seated next to someone who wasn't WASP.  Oh no; you wanted the highest service, the most comfortable section and everything had to be your way or the highway..or should I say the "sky-way".

It is people like you who give nice places a bad name.

Know what? I am extremely happy that you are not moving to Ecuador.  I would be unhappy to know that you are there, distributing hate and discontent amongst the natives.

Have a nice day; although I don't think you ever have a "nice day". You are too busy putting other people down..the people who don't meet with your approval.

Good luck with the rest of your life.  You need it.

I would agree with Sundancer. You cannot judge a country just by the people you meet on the streets in the first 24-48 hours. Spain is safe, relatively speaking but quite expensive. Once you live in a 3rd world country for a while, you start making friends, meeting worthwhile people, and everything changes for the better. Cheers!

During my military career I had the priviledge to serve in a number of foreign countries which I found to be most adventurous. I never once felt that foreign nationals must conform to my way of thinking or to do things the  way they do it in the states. I always tried to emmerse myself in the culture and learn some of the language, enjoy their foods and make friends with the locals. I always found it to be most rewarding. Yet there were other soldiers that would do nothing but complain about their host country and how it "really sucks here". However these guys never ventured out of the base or even tried to make friends with the people. Wouldn't try any of the foods or experience the culture. They were usually disdainful of the locals and showed them no respect. Most would spend their off duty time drinking beer in the barracks yelling about what a s--t hole Korea was or how Germany sucked etc.

I would guess that many people that suffer from cultural shock are those that are not really willing to experience it and learn from it. The good ol' USA is a wonderful place but it isn't the only place in the world with good things to offer. I have yet to set foot on Ecuadoran soil but I am confident that I will be able to be happy there. Eagerly looking forward to it.

this is most unfortunate!
I think the key thing here is: LANGUAGE!
People need to understand that understanding others and bonding with them is a vital part of adjusting. If you are a social outcast it doesn't matter but who wants to live like this? Unless you are a psychopath, of course. lol
I am a social butterfly... communicating is vital for me. It helped me adjust to life when I moved here. I would not recommend moving to a country without either: A) having some slight understanding of the language, B)planning on immersing yourself in the language once you arrive there.
We are looking to move to Ecuador and we were warned that is no way around not speaking in Spanish!
People in the US always complain of foreigners who move here and never learn the language, but they expect people to be understood when they move somewhere and they themselves do not speak the native language (shaking head!!!!!)
Thanks for sharing your experience... sorry it didn't work out!

Is that Hesperia, California ?

rayjones50 wrote:

Is that Hesperia, California ?

Yes. Are you familiar with the ol' desert in California?

Yes I've been thru there countless times in my trucking career. I stop at the Pilot Truckstop there  whenever I'm out that way. The Mojave has its own kind of beauty and it grows on you.

rayjones50 wrote:

Yes I've been thru there countless times in my trucking career. I stop at the Pilot Truckstop there  whenever I'm out that way. The Mojave has its own kind of beauty and it grows on you.

That is great!
Yes, the Desert can grow on people...
We are spoiled here - always sunny.
Are you still on the road?

Yep, still driving 18 wheels across the country but rapidly approaching retirement. I hope to retire in Cuenca in a few months . As soon as I can get all the arrangements made.

rayjones50 wrote:

Yep, still driving 18 wheels across the country but rapidly approaching retirement. I hope to retire in Cuenca in a few months . As soon as I can get all the arrangements made.

How exciting!!!
Keep us posted on your progress to get there :)