With a visa can i- open bank account, rent car & house, open business?

Hi all

My name is George and currently residing in Centurion South Africa.I am 47 years old and owner of a patio furniture business for the past 23 years.

It has come to a point where we need to move to a safer place and better economy.I would like to carry on with my business in the Netherlands through importing my products from South Africa.

I am really desperate in doing this asap!!!

I am frustrated with people that can not give me clear answers to all the questions that I have.

I hope that I am in the wright place now, and would be really grateful if someone can please help me.

Hop to hear from you soonest.

George

Welcome on board  :cheers:

We are not experts but maybe we can help you if you give us the questions you have.
Before doing so, I advise you to browse through the different topics and read to avoid opening threads or posts who are many times been asked.

Hi

Thanks for the quick reply.
How to start my business there.Do I need a Netherland partner.
Can I open bank accounts without a visa
What visa do I need.Can I do this for 3 months on a holiday visa.
Can I rent a home and buy a truck without a visa.
This is just but a few things.

George

Without visa you cant do anything and this subject is repeatedly answered so I suggest to read the previous thread about this issue.

There is also a sticky thread "New to Holland" which contains useful information and links to search in details. Check this out too.

Hi George,

Welcome to this forum here. I read your post and almost FEEL your ambition and drive to leave and succeed in the NL.
One thing I like about you is that (at least I think) you will come to do business with the Dutch and not so much seeking South-Africans in the new country. That's already a good step into your integration process.
In each country I have lived, I always searched for locals so I would learn faster how to act llike a local and not a foreigner.

If there's ONE peace of HUGE advise I would like to give you and which is not an easy one (especially not for me), then it's PATIENCE!!!!! :unsure
It may sound easy, but it's not if you are determined to come.
Is your idea possible? YES!!!!
Can you do it fast? Yes, but you may end up dissapointed.
Can you do it wisely? yes, if you take time to RESEARCH and take the right steps!

I see too many expats ''wanting'' to go to fast and  thinking it's easy! But the more research you do NOW and the more you learn NOW, will make your stay here so much better!!!

Take your time to read what you can find here.
We can always continue to talk privately if you wish.

Rachel  :)

~expat to inpat ~

Hi George,

Regarding your business; a good place to start researching would be the "Kamer van Koophandel".

Best of luck in your new venture.

Just to add, a friend of mine moved from Australia to NL and bought out somebody who had a market stall selling sweets; he's done very well out of it.

George360 wrote:

Hi

Thanks for the quick reply.
How to start my business there.Do I need a Netherland partner.
Can I open bank accounts without a visa
What visa do I need.Can I do this for 3 months on a holiday visa.
Can I rent a home and buy a truck without a visa.
This is just but a few things.

George

Just seen this additional set of questions:

1.  Kamer van Koophandel; you don't need a Dutch partner.
2.  To open a bank account, you need to be in the country legally and registered at the local town hall.
3.  Visa - there is a whole section on here on how to do it.  You can't do it on a tourist visa.
4.  Rent a home - yes, but be careful, some don't permit registration.
5.  Buy a truck - yes, but you need to be registered at a Dutch address to register it.  If you buy it from a dealer, it won't be registered.

Last bit of advice; learn the language.  As a South African, perhaps you speak Afrikaans; you won't find it hard to learn Dutch if you do.

Hi Rachel

Thank you for the kind words and all of the info. Yes I am business driven and that is what I would do over there.
I do not have a lot of patience but will just have to adapt.
There is still a lot of things that I need to go through and maybe it will be better for me to visit you guys and have a look  before I go through this whole  process. What do you think about that?
Which country do you come from?

Hear from you soonest.

Hi George,
Ok, so we are on the right track here and I can totally understand your entrepreneural mood and drive :) Don't lose it!
So, you received some more answer already.
I would like to add that if you bring some money, things get somewhat easier.
You see, in a bank, if you place money, they wont be too difficult to  open an account (is my experience).
Also, for renting, if you rent from a private owner, he is usually happy to be paid each month.
But Cynic gave you great answers, Thank you Cynic.

One HUGE comment I have to say about languages:
I have traveled to many countries and speak 6 languages so I know from experience.
And I interviewed many expats and asked each time their main TIP for newcomers.
Guess what the TOP TIP is from every expat? LEARN the LANGUAGE!!!! :one
HOWEVER, Dutch is NOT the same as Afrikaans. I know, because I have met 2 great S-Africans here that I helped integrating and have seen their struggle and process with learning Dutch.
But, good news is, they speak it very well now, and so you can do it too!

To answer your question, I am originally from Belgium, left in 2003. My family is still there though. And even if some people ''think'' that Belgium is ''only next door'' and so ''it's the same'', well NO! I had to adapt here too.

Oh, one last remark: you say perhaps you should visit before...but WHY? It will cost you money. And visiting will NOT give you a real view of ''life'' here. It will be a tourist view that you will have.
If you are driven and believe in your goal, than do the work you have to do now where you are BEFORE you come, plan well, take the right steps and THEN move...for good!

This might help you:
I've been creating many Video's on You Tube about many countries and cultures, and I post here only 2 regarding the Netherlands. But you can find more if you like.
I"m not sure if I can post it here, otherwise we can message too. It's free to watch and it's informative.

Hope it helps,
Rachel expattoinpat.com

- youtu.be/NDoFKQmOA-Y- The country Netherlands
- youtu.be/s9fhX_jY0NM?t=27s - Culture of the Netherlands

Hi Rachel,

RachelamI wrote:

HOWEVER, Dutch is NOT the same as Afrikaans. I know, because I have met 2 great S-Africans here that I helped integrating and have seen their struggle and process with learning Dutch.
But, good news is, they speak it very well now, and so you can do it too!

I agree that Afrikaans is not the same as Dutch.  The main issue I found with Afrikaans speakers switching to Dutch is that the 2 languages have many things in common, 90 > 95 % of the words are of Dutch origin; sentence construction is similar; it's the grammar and dialect that really mucks it up.

Most Dutch speakers can follow Afrikaans; IMO, the issue is that because of this, some South Africans (like many other language speakers) are afraid to make mistakes and stick with their mother language, rather than look foolish.

My message is that all of us went through this; yes, people may well laugh when you get it wrong, but you soon get over that.  Learn Dutch, it's lots of fun.

The one thing that everyone has failed to mention is that you need MVV and this has to be applied for before you leave South Africa, Yes, you can visit on a 90 day free visa but you cannot stay. You have to go through the proper channels, which could take up to 6  months to complete, Fail to do this and you will be deported and banned for 3 years. I suggest you contact VFS in your country who are responsible for processing your Shenghen MVV application, You may also find the www.ind.nl website useful.
The BSN is fundamental to everything and you cannot open a bank account or obtain the compulsory health insurance without that. Some landlords will not rent you an apartment without one.

My advice is to go VFS before you spend any money.

Hi Cynic,

Code:

Learn Dutch, it's lots of fun.

ABSOLUTELY! And I would add to that : ALL languages are FUN to learn!!!
I really focus on  learning, while finding topics of interest AND ENJOYING to learn the language :idontagree:

I am a big believer of conversations and not so much the grammar. To me, what matters is TALK, talk, talk!
And like you mentioned, no need to feel afraid of mistakes, but just TRY to talk.

To get back to S-African, it's indeed another pronunciation and accent, which has to be adjusted when speaking Dutch.

Conclusion: languages are crucial, but not a show-stopper when moving abroad!!!  :proud

~Rachel~
expattoinpat.com

Moderated by Bhavna 8 years ago
Reason : Please note that any external links to your website is not allowed on EB
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi George

Cynic is right about having to register at the town hall before you cab do anything, but before you can do that you need to have an MVV. You will not be issued with a BSN without one,
I have just written a piece on this forum about buying a vehicle in the Netherlands . See this website https://www.rdw.nl/englishinformation/P … cence.aspx
which says that you will not be able to exchange your South African driving licence for a Dutch one. You should check with the embassy in your country to see if you need an International Driving Licence. If so you can only drive on it in the Netherlands for 185 days, after which you will need to take the CRB theory and driving test. You will need a Dutch driving licence and a BSN before you can by a vehicle of any description.
I also need to expand on Cynic's comment about renting accommodation. If the landlord does not allow you to register then you will not be able to obtain the required BSN. From my experience most landlords require evidence of your income being more than 7 times the rent. This might not apply to a rented room.Some  good websites for finding accommodation are www. Pararius .com / and www.funda.nl.
Also be aware that the maximum amount of currency you can bring into the Netherlands is EUR 10,000 or the equivalent.
I can applaud Rachel;s enthusiasm for the Netherlands and agree its is a great place to live, but the rules have to be followed and there are no short cuts. Be under no illusion that the process can take some time and the rules must be followed. If you want to be resident in the Netherlands the MVV is paramount. Despite what she says about a bank account, no bank will open a bank account if you do not have a BSN. I was able to do this because I am an EU citizen and had rented an apartment before I arrived here. On this basis the bank opened an account for me. I had evidence of a two-year contract for an apartment. Without that I would not been able to do it. Yo will not be able to anything on a short-stay 90 day visa.
As I said the www,ind,nl website and VFS in South Africa are the best places to start. Good luck.

HI again everyone,

I want to save you time and research on the driving license issue as I have checked it thoroughly only a few weeks ago, specifically for S-Africa, so my answer is up to date :)

Code:

You should check with the embassy in your country to see if you need an International Driving Licence

The embassy in your country wont know the exact answer and will tell you that your license is valid 6 months.
This is correct!
HOWEVER, there's more.....
, many countries have agreements with the Netherlands so that the driving license can be converted to a valid one for the Netherlands BUT, it is very UNFORTUNATE and sad, this is NOT the case for S-Africa.
This means that within the 6months you will need to ensure you pass the entire THEORY AND practice tests again to get a brand new license.
I found it ridiculous and therefore called many instances as the CBR to double and triple check, and nothing else you can do.

One point of good news: you can pass the license in English.

Regarding the bank account, I did the same as keithwip, as a EU member I had proof of renting ...and that was enough.

Good luck
~rachel
Expat to inpat ~

HI George

Despite the impression give by Rachel that I do not know what I am talking about, I can assure you that all the information I provide is up-to-date and comes from the websites I have given you.

Its not clear from the RDW website whether you can drive in the Netherlands on your South African driving licence or you need an International Driving permit. You need to be clear about this before you drive in the Netherlands or you will be in contravention of the Dutch law. It is the RDW website that advises people check with the Netherland embassy in their country.

Code:

Despite the impression give by Rachel

Dear keithwlp,
I think we are all trying to help George here and that is my only intention. I appreciate greatly your effort as well
and absolutely agree that you know what you are talking about.
Your information is great and I only wanted to add my knowledge, just like you.
If I gave a wrong impression, I will now shut up, because I certainly don't want to cause ANY wrong impressions, and only positively wanted to contribute.

Thank you,

Rachel

You are making a positive contribution and you should continue to do so. All I ask is that people are not given the impression it is easy to come to the Netherlands and they can just come and live here, It is only my opinion, for what it is worth that so many people, lately from South Africa, seem to want to find the easy way. They need to be aware that it can take up to 6 months and it is not easy. It is easy for us EU citizens to do it, but not for them.

I didn't mean that you are not doing a good thing here and I wish a lot of people posted like you do. Please don't stop I appreciate everything you are trying to do and there is a need for you to continue to do so. I'm sorry if what I said was harsh, it wasn't intended to be.Please accept my apologies.

Thank you Keithwip,
I appreciate your comment! :top:

It's certainly is not an easy process, and certainly NOT quick! I think we are making that clear.
But it IS possible though, and  I have never gave up my dreams and goals, so for those who are determined and driven, keep going!

All the best of luck

Rachel

Good comments Rachel.

You are really penetrating a positive energy here :)

Just one last post on this subject.  As testament to the effectiveness of doing your homework and learning the language; our daughter moved back to Holland a few weeks ago, she moves into her new house next Thursday and has 4 job interviews (one is a final interview) in her line of work, lined up in the next fortnight.  The system works if you use it; had she not been able to speak Dutch (to be fair, she is fluent), done her research and had relevant experience/qualifications, she would have still been in a bed-sit wondering what to do next.

Good luck to all; it can be done. :)

A big well done to your daughter.

This is all possible if the rules are followed..

keithwlp wrote:

A big well done to your daughter.

This is all possible if the rules are followed..

Thank you.  Just heard from her, she got the job.  She got the keys to her house this morning; we just had a Face-Time video chat with her so she could show us everything; she's a bit perplexed by the previous occupant removing all the light fittings, except the one in the toilet.  I forgot to warn her.

I must admit, despite her homework before she moved, she's been extremely lucky to get a house and job within a fortnight of landing.  The whole family (as we are) in Holland are amazed.

Congrats !!!!!