Taxi driver being tried for khalwa

By ARAB NEWS

Published: Nov 2, 2010 20:58 Updated: Nov 2, 2010 20:58

JEDDAH: The Jeddah Summary Court has started hearing the case of a limousine driver charged with khulwa (illegitimate seclusion) because he was driving a Chinese nurse from King Abdul Aziz Hospital to the Haraj Al-Sawareekh market in south Jeddah, local Arabic daily Okaz reported on Tuesday.

The court heard how the taxi driver, a young Saudi man in his 20s, was stopped by members of the Commission to Promote Virtue and Prevent Vice (Haia), who accused him of being in illegitimate seclusion with the woman.

The newspaper did not name the driver, although he did say he was driving his father's taxi and that he had no previous relationship with the nurse. The young man said he was helping his father as he had lost his car in the Jeddah floods last November.

The father was compensated for his lost car by the Ministry of Social Affairs. According to Okaz, the Haia security patrols caught the young man while he was dropping off the nurse at the market and took him to Al-Nuzlatain police station for questioning. It reported that the judge in the case, Turki Bin Zafir Al-Qarni, has subpoenaed the Haia members for questioning.

gowiththeflowUK wrote:

By ARAB NEWS

JEDDAH: The Jeddah Summary Court has started hearing the case of a limousine driver charged with khulwa (illegitimate seclusion) because he was driving a Chinese nurse from King Abdul Aziz Hospital to the Haraj Al-Sawareekh market in south Jeddah, local Arabic daily Okaz reported on Tuesday.

The court heard how the taxi driver, a young Saudi man in his 20s, was stopped by members of the Commission to Promote Virtue and Prevent Vice (Haia), who accused him of being in illegitimate seclusion with the woman.

The newspaper did not name the driver, although he did say he was driving his father's taxi and that he had no previous relationship with the nurse. The young man said he was helping his father as he had lost his car in the Jeddah floods last November.

The father was compensated for his lost car by the Ministry of Social Affairs. According to Okaz, the Haia security patrols caught the young man while he was dropping off the nurse at the market and took him to Al-Nuzlatain police station for questioning. It reported that the judge in the case, Turki Bin Zafir Al-Qarni, has subpoenaed the Haia members for questioning.

did the nurse complianed in this case or its the police that has assumed something happended???

uvnpsaradhi wrote:
gowiththeflowUK wrote:

By ARAB NEWS

did the nurse complianed in this case or its the police that has assumed something happended???

No, the man was caught in a stop check by the members of the Commission to Promote Virtue and Prevent Vice!

No commenting is better...............

ezzix wrote:

:huh:

Alliecat wrote:
ezzix wrote:

:huh:

i mean i cant comment such news... i feel am living in stoneage

So are women not surposed to go in Taxis?

ezzix wrote:

also, no comment!
next article please...

Okay, I'll comment.

This article just goes to show that the laws here are arbitrary, so never feel too comfortable with something just because you've always done it.  You come across the 'wrong' mutaween or policeman and guess what?  Something that has always been acceptable now lands you in jail.

guess they are more like in-laws?

musicman wrote:

guess they are more like in-laws?

Awwww.. I'm sure your in-laws love you, mm :)

You don't understand a thing yar....Women are allowed to travel in taxi with the registered Driver even if they r alone or even if its night.
The boy is not driver or owner of the cab so eventually he was not allowed.

Yesterday i was suggesting my friend to be careful when she travel with her BF u might get caught up and she told me it happened to her several times and when ever Mutawas caught me I simply called my hubby and took me out of there :o:o:o.I was laughing when she told me how does she attack them with her miserable english and tell them"Hey we r Kharji(Expats)and i had no one to take me out,what shoud i do  u guys dont allow us to drive ,who will take us out...would u do that?" and they let her go all the time...she has been living here for 4 years and she does not even remember how many times she has encountered them....
If i dint know her blunt attitude well i wouldn't be believing her

Alliecat wrote:

Okay, I'll comment.

This article just goes to show that the laws here are arbitrary, so never feel too comfortable with something just because you've always done it.  You come across the 'wrong' mutaween or policeman and guess what?  Something that has always been acceptable now lands you in jail.

Agree, it makes it almost impossible to have a 'plan B' in such circumstances though.  What can you do, in good faith and all that.

nonz wrote:

You don't understand a thing yar....Women are allowed to travel in taxi with the registered Driver even if they r alone or even if its night.

Yesterday i was suggesting my friend to be careful when she travel with her BF u might get caught up and she told me it happened to her several times and when ever Mutawas caught me I simply called my hubby and took me out of there :o:o:o.I was laughing when she told me how does she attack them with her miserable english and tell them"Hey we r Kharji(Expats)and i had no one to take me out,what shoud i do  u guys dont allow us to drive ,who will take us out...would u do that?" and they let her go all the time...she has been living here for 4 years and she does not even remember how many times she has encountered them....

she might have thought this could be the better way to tackle such situations, counter attack.. :)

I'd have a field day with these guys in a high speed pursuit.

beezer wrote:

I'd have a field day with these guys in a high speed pursuit.

I'm not sure if its a good idea to try that here

who wants to be a taxi driver in the second coming?

uvnpsaradhi wrote:
nonz wrote:

she might have thought this could be the better way to tackle such situations, counter attack.. :)

yeah thats what exactly she told me :)

Sorry, I'm new to this forum & I don't know Saudi laws & doings that well yet, so forgive my ignorance, but how should one know if the taxi driver has the correct paperwork? I could just ask to see them?
How would I know it's the real deal anyway?:/

RT Cape Town wrote:

Sorry, I'm new to this forum & I don't know Saudi laws & doings that well yet, so forgive my ignorance, but how should one know if the taxi driver has the correct paperwork? I could just ask to see them?

Welcome to the Kingdom and to the forum!  Hope you enjoy your stay here :)

As for taxis in Riyadh, I haven't had any problems so far.  May be because of my gender.  Ladies in the forum would be in a better position to answer your query

Hi there--welcome to the blog and to the Kingdom!

I would suggest you avoid the 'on street' taxis when possible and line up a regular driver.

Alisan has posted that she has a good guy so you might want to take her up on her offer.

RT Cape Town wrote:

It is best to obtain a taxi from a recommended source (hotel, airport, Compound etc)
A legit taxi will be clearly marked up, will have a licence - you can ask to see that and you can let the driver see you sending the licence number to a friend together with his registration number, informing them of your destination and ETA - that should deter anything.
Always check before sitting in the car that the driver speaks English
If possible, it is not advised to get into a cab on your own, always best if you travel with another woman if poss.
Always agree the price up front so there are no arguments or surprises

These are a few hints and tips that may help.  Once you find a good taxi driver, get his number and use him wherever possible.  If he is booked ask him to give you a recommended alternative that you can trust.

Hope this helps - others will also have suggestions for you I am sure.

gowiththeflowUK wrote:
RT Cape Town wrote:

It is best to obtain a taxi from a recommended source (hotel, airport, Compound etc)
A legit taxi will be clearly marked up, will have a licence - you can ask to see that and you can let the driver see you sending the licence number to a friend together with his registration number, informing them of your destination and ETA - that should deter anything.
Always check before sitting in the car that the driver speaks English
If possible, it is not advised to get into a cab on your own, always best if you travel with another woman if poss.
Always agree the price up front so there are no arguments or surprises

These are a few hints and tips that may help.  Once you find a good taxi driver, get his number and use him wherever possible.  If he is booked ask him to give you a recommended alternative that you can trust.

Hope this helps - others will also have suggestions for you I am sure.

impressive info :top: