Volunteering in Turkey

Hi,

While living abroad, some expats wish to get involved in the local community life.

What organizations expats can turn to if they want to volunteer in Turkey?

How to join a charitable institution, what are the steps?

Which causes have the greatest need for volunteers in Turkey?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience and advice,

Maximilien

Some Major Issues to Volunteer for

A great time for such a post considering, besides everything, the influx of Syrian refugees is at an all time high at the moment that they need attention. Despite the govt's assistance, the arrangements to help them seem less than sufficient and they seem to be in dire need of food and accommodation.

Some of the major issues Turkey is facing at the moment, besides the above mentioned issue are
-Human rights, especially women rights
-Massive deforestation in order to build housing societies
-Marine pollution due to massive sea traffic and other factors

In case I am not pointing out some other important issue, please feel free to add to it.

Prominent Charities and NPOs in Istanbul

Some of the prominent charities and NPOs in Istanbul are,

AD DAR
AFS Intercultural, Turkey
Alternative Camp
Anne Cocuk Egitim Vakfi Acev, Van
Caritas
Contemporary Education Foundation Of Turkey Cev
Deniztemiz Turmepa
Greenpeace Turkey
Hisar Anatolian Support Society
IHH - Humanitarian Relief Foundation
International Organization Of Migration Iom Turkey
IPS Communication Foundation Bianet
Make a Wish
Mor Çatı
SPoD
Tarlabaşı Community
Transparency International Turkey
Turkish Marine Environment Protection Association Turmepa
Women For Women's Human Rights
WWF Turkiye
Youth For Habitat International Network

This is definitely not a complete, comprehensive and updated list. Please feel free to add any legit charities to the list.
Also, I would strongly recommend doing a strong back ground check before volunteering for an organization.

How to Join a Charity?

Joining a charity is relatively easy as the charities and NGOs are always looking for volunteers. Make sure you choose the right charity that appeals to you.
Once you approach a charity and are done with the initial proceedings including the interview, the process is simple. You are asked for a copy of required documents, the most basic of which is your valid Id.
Unless there is any other specific expertise based document required by the organization, you're good to roll!

There are local organisations called "gönüllü dernekler" you can check on google...you will need to be able to read and speak Turkish to be very useful...

Greenpeace and amnesty International are becoming more active recently. Students can be seen handing out leaflets or canvassing people in the street....

I've heard that there are some NGO's helping out with the Syrian situation...but I haven't got involved with that myself. :|

Great suggestions John,

Some of the NGOs that were in news recently for helping Syrian refugees are

Amnesty Turkey
Association to Improve Human Resources (İKGV), Kaos-GL
Association to Solidarity With Refugees (Mülteci-Der),
Association to Solidarity With Refugees and Immigrants (SGDD)
Civil Society in the Penal System (CİSST)
Gündem Children Association
Hamis Syria Culture House
Health and Social Work Labor Union (SES)
Helsinki Citizens Association
Human Rights Agenda Association (İHGD)
Human Rights Association (İHD)
Human Rights Association of Turkey (TİHV)
Refuge and Migration Research Center (İGAMDER)

As usual, I would strongly recommend doing a strong back ground check before volunteering for an organization.

Good luck
Z

If you're in İstanbul and love animals, Cihangir Cool for Cats is a great organization with whom you can connect.

facebook.com/groups/cihangircoolforcats/1076798259026402/?notif_t=group_comment_reply

I met one of their representatives while taking a stroll with my elderly mom. She explained their work to help the street cats get food and shelter. They do much more than that. They connect cats in İstanbul with rescuers all around the world. My mom was impressed. And so was I.

Its great that you mentioned the organizations dealing with animals too, Geekette. : )

With the abundance of stray cats & dogs in Istanbul, it is also one of the causes to choose volunteering for.

Enjoy the day
Z

Thank you X...much appreciated. Yes, there is an abundance of street animals in İstanbul. I love them all.

You're welcome.. Glad you brought it up!
: )

Of course.Glad to be of help. I so miss İstanbul. Any chance I have to reconnect...I grab... Especially when It involves street animals.

Hi,

Perhaps it is Providence... I myself and wanting to do some volunteer work here in Istanbul and it's great to have come across all these posts. Now to wade my way through them...!:)
As I don't speak Turkish well enough for it to be of use, any of them I might as well not contact?

Thank you in advance,
Belinda

Hi Belinda,

There are some names listed above. Are you interested in some specific area for volunteering?

Z

BelindaBee wrote:

Hi,

Perhaps it is Providence... I myself and wanting to do some volunteer work here in Istanbul and am having trouble getting started. Does anybody have this experience? Do you have names of organizations who do this?

Thank you in advance,
Belinda

I am assuming that atleast the following might be helpful as far as language goes..

Amnesty Turkey
Europa Donna
Greenpeace Turkey
Helsinki Citizens Assembly Hca
IHH - Humanitarian Relief Foundation
Make a Wish
Transparency International Turkey
WWF Turkiye

Good luck
Z

BelindaBee wrote:

Hi,

Perhaps it is Providence... I myself and wanting to do some volunteer work here in Istanbul and it's great to have come across all these posts. Now to wade my way through them...!:)
As I don't speak Turkish well enough for it to be of use, any of them I might as well not contact?

Thank you in advance,
Belinda

Hi,

I'm sifting through websites as we speak. Obviously I'd like to help an organization that could use my skills (minus my Turkish although hopefully it will progress..) I also cannot give a huge amount of time as I work full time and it's a rather strenuous schedule. Right now I'm gathering clothes for Caritas; I'm looking at Small Projects Istanbul for the Syrian refugees as well as Women for Women's Rights. There are so many it's daunting... I live on the Asian side in Üsküdar and something that wouldn't take me hours to get to would be preferable. I'm sure you know what I mean if you live in Istanbul!

Belinda

Yes, I totally agree with you. Its best to do a localized search around your residential area.

Hopefully, you will find something that appeals to you. : )

Z

Hi Belinda,

I am also ooking to volunteer but have had not much luck I also live on the Asian side I'd love to hear if you find anything please let me know thanks.

Hi Rosie,
Yes, it seems tricky. I'm looking into a couple such as Women for Women and Small Projects Istanbul but it's Bayram week so I'm not sure how far I'll get. I'm also a member of another expat group, InterNations.org of Istanbul where I'm a group leader for the volunteer group. I'm not quite sure what it'll mean in the long run because I'm new to volunteering here myself. So maybe we can help each other. Let's stay in touch!
Belinda

Can I pm you?

A friend of mine is coming to Istanbul soon. He wants to engage as a volunteer. Can anybody here tell me who he could contact? Are there any websites in English language where one can find listings for volunteering?

Thanks in advance!

Hi Christian

You can find the comprehensive list of organizations above. It would be best if you search the list on Internet to find if they have English websites. Also you can contact their procurement departments. 

Good luck
Z

Christian_Rit wrote:

A friend of mine is coming to Istanbul soon. He wants to engage as a volunteer. Can anybody here tell me who he could contact? Are there any websites in English language where one can find listings for volunteering?

Thanks in advance!

Hi,
If you go through all these posts you'll come across a pretty comprehensive list of volunteer organizations here in town. It's best to check them out according to personal interests.
Good luck!