Racists Taiwanese? Am I the only one seeing this in this ad?

I saw this ad, and see it as a racist ad, one i would not want to prescribe to. is this  how most Taiwanese think? They only want Caucasians to teach relate stories? I am Caucasian, and I am sick to my stomach. We are planning to move there this spring, now I am having second thoughts.This is not the first of the kind that I have seen.

We are looking for Native English speaker (preferably Caucasian) who is capable of telling stories to kids from 1~10 years old in a lively and energetic way. Our institute is call Story Paradise and it is a place where children get to learn different languages through interesting stories performed by story tellers with music, magic, games, arts, all kinds of fun~ Story Paradise will be open in February 2011 in Chupei City. Please send me a message if you are interested in working with us!

veenasterling wrote:

I saw this ad, and see it as a racist ad, one i would not want to prescribe to. is this  how most Taiwanese think? They only want Caucasians to teach relate stories? I am Caucasian, and I am sick to my stomach. We are planning to move there this spring, now I am having second thoughts.This is not the first of the kind that I have seen.

We are looking for Native English speaker (preferably Caucasian) who is capable of telling stories to kids from 1~10 years old in a lively and energetic way. Our institute is call Story Paradise and it is a place where children get to learn different languages through interesting stories performed by story tellers with music, magic, games, arts, all kinds of fun~ Story Paradise will be open in February 2011 in Chupei City. Please send me a message if you are interested in working with us!

Surprise?!?! How come?:)

I wouldn't go that far calling it racist but white folks sure have a special place with the Northern Orient. Taiwan is not even the leading pack. It's been led by Japan, China, and S. Korea.

I do think Taiwanese in general (in terms of Chinese culture which puts a high price on being white skinned) are racist (and homophobic), but they have come a long way. And of course having said that I wouldnt generalize, depends on the person, their educational background etc. I lived in Taipei 10 years ago and had an African American friend who was working in Taichung and of course he could tell you some stories. I am Chicana and not your blond blue-eyed American represented on the media, so my former boss used to tell everyone I was from Hawaii (wish I was!).

Where I work currently, they are very inclusive and we have had people from India, S. Africa, etc from all racial backgrounds and it has never been an issue, because the kids' parents are well educated and well traveled and appreciate the diversity. Just depends.

Kantikoy wrote:

I do think Taiwanese in general (in terms of Chinese culture which puts a high price on being white skinned) are racist (and homophobic), but they have come a long way. And of course having said that I wouldnt generalize, depends on the person, their educational background etc. I lived in Taipei 10 years ago and had an African American friend who was working in Taichung and of course he could tell you some stories. I am Chicana and not your blond blue-eyed American represented on the media, so my former boss used to tell everyone I was from Hawaii (wish I was!).

Where I work currently, they are very inclusive and we have had people from India, S. Africa, etc from all racial backgrounds and it has never been an issue, because the kids' parents are well educated and well traveled and appreciate the diversity. Just depends.

I certainly agree with your reference on individuality and education and exposure definitely play a major role.

Btw, did you catch Veenasterling's original posting of - “We are looking for Native English speaker (preferably Caucasian)“? Did I read it wrongly or what? Did they prefer white folks over simply Americans with the expectation that they are Native English speaker? So I guess they know their business model well… what's up with the “I am sick to my stomach” comment? Interesting…