Midwives in Puerto Rico?

Hi all, my family and I are planning on moving to Puerto Rico next month and I'm looking for a midwife.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

I don't speak any Spanish so one who speaks English well would be preferable.  :)

We are planning to settle somewhere on the west side near Rincon are Mayaguez so near there would also be nice.

Thanks in advance!!

This site list 3 in PR, there may be more....

http://www.healthgrades.com/midwifery-d … uerto-rico

Check this site, it list the UPR (University of PR) as a faculty for midwife in PR, they may be able to give you information regarding the practice in PR.

http://www.midwife.org/Education-Programs-Directoryhttp://sp.rcm.upr.edu/

Hope this is helpful...... :top:

Here is a FB group that may be able to give you more information...

Hermandad de Parteras de Puerto Rico | Facebook

facebook.com/HermandadDePar … rtoRico...

BTWY, midwife = parteras o comadronas in Spanish........ :D

Thanks!
I had found the first few links but hadn't found the FB group since it's all in spanish which gave me a "duh" moment.  I should google search "parteras Puerto Rico" instead of "midwives".  :dumbom:  I have found a few more contacts now.  Thank you for the revelation!! :)

I know this is an old thread, but I'd like to know what midwives and information you found. Thanks in advance!

Why a midwife? Is it cost?
Unless you live close to a hospital I would not risk using a midwife then having a need for a doctor with the kid 1/2 out and a 25 minute drive to the hospital. That is not counting how long it takes for the ambulance to get to you.
Yes for millions of years midwives have delivered kids but also plenty of mothers and kids have died during birthing at both midwives and hospitals. I would not risk it, but that is me.

yes, I know some women may prefer a midwife - and many, many have had  good outcomes.   That being said, I believe that if an MD is available, the decision is a no brainer.  When lives could be in the balance, we err on the side of caution.

Assuming Midwifery is not as safe or as good for mother and child is an outdated misconception.  I am not a midwife, but did briefly consider it, and I would like to clarify a few things:

1. Midwives have much of the same equipment that doctors use to monitor mother and baby during labor. 

2.Midwifes go through years of training and certification focusing only on labor and childbirth.

2. Most midwives actually work in a hospital/office setting.

3. Midwifery care tends to be more personalized to the mother, and as a result, there are actually fewer complications statistically with few cesareans being performed and fewer unnecessary interventions.

I don't know of any Midwives, but I do know of a doula in Rincon.  You may try posting to the Friends of Rincon FB group and see if she can point you in the right direction (her FB name is Vivienne Miranda Doula).  Good Luck Amybradley!

Sorry, never meant that, midwife are usually not allowed to do some procedures, only a doctor can do some of those.  Complications can arise that may require a surgical team, blood, or prescribe and administer some drugs than only be prescribed by a doctor. Also I assume but have no clue about malpractice insurance, many a doctor have stopped delivering babies due to the insurance cost and the number of malpractice claims they get even if there is no merit to them. I can only assume the midwife has some sort of insurance like that, but I don't see how they can afford it.

I was referring to the distance to the hospital in the event that things got complicated into areas that a midwife is not allowed to cross into. Billions of kids been born with the help of a midwife.
Birthing is natural and in most cases it does not require a doctor or midwife.

I don't know in the states, but in Germany midwives are to my knowledge also nurses, my German Girfriend way back in time was both, and I think she said it was a requirement but I could be remembering wrong.
Some midwifes work within a hospital but some deliver at the patient home, I was referring to those working at the patient home far from a hospital.
(Putting some iodine on the cuts from Curly)

Hi Amy!
I assume you are pregnant...  Congratulations if so :)
I am midwife located in Rincon, Puerto Rico.  I provide prenatal, homebirth and postpartum services.  Also doula, pp doula, placenta encapsulation and childbirth ed to accommodate needs, dreams and birth wishes/plans if women and when applicable her partner and family!   Feel free to reach out to me, as I also have contact information of other local midwives in other parts of the island.  I'm happy to talk to you more if I can be of support and help!!   I believe my email will show up in this...  Never have used this site before however!
Blessings and all the best to you!!!!

Hi moonbirthmama,
I would recommend you make an entry in the business section so other members can find you and your services in the future. Here is the link.
https://www.expat.com/en/business/centr … erto-rico/
What you entered above does not break the rules of the forum, but use the business section to do your advertising, so there are no rule issues.
Thanks
Rey

Moonbirthmama, are you still a midwife in Rincon?  Thanks!

Hi Lauradinwiddie > just to inform you that this topic is inactive since 2016. If you have any questions regarding your expat project, please feel free to create a new topic on the Puerto Rico forum.

Thank you,
Christine

We can make the topic open again :)
Yes I am a midwife in the island and provide homebirth services, prenatal care, fertility awareness, childbirth education, conscious conception/pregnancy  classes, post partium support etc

I am a Certified Holistic Doula and can be support alongside your midwife.  That entails helping you with the other children, cooking, cleaning and laundry; massage if necessary!  I am also a LCSW o can provide emotional support as well!

Hi MoonBirthMama,

Are you available to speak privately? I'm moving to Puerto Rico in May 2020 with my family and I'm looking for a midwife and a doula.

Hi there,
I am happy to communicate privately :)

Hello Moonbirthmama

I am currently looking for a partera near Carolina. Could you help me please?
Good morning 🌞

I am happy to help!  We can message privately

Warmly,

Alicia