Wanting to make a dream come true!

Hello we are a mother and father of 3 beautiful children one of which is diagnosed ADHD and struggles with school. our dream is to move to PR where the hubby can work as a high end chef or have local foods to start his own business. I'd love to homeschool and possibly take on more children as my degree is in early childhood education. We are hoping to bring our beautiful Bassett hound with us as he is family too.  Does anyone out there have any pointers for us? How feasible is it for us to be happy if none of us speak Spanish? But we are more than willing to learn.

Have you ever been here on the island? If not, postpone your decision until you have spent some time here. It's really different from anything you know from back in the States.

Next, if your mind is made up, make sure your husband has a job secured. The economy is worse than on the mainland and not being local is a disadvantage most of the times.
I would expect that working as a chef will require Spanish fluency since most other employees will be locals.

Read some older posts in this forum. You're not the first one asking this question and there are quite some threads with lots on information.

I live in Rincon (northwest coast) and your situation is similar to others who have moved here. Not knowing Spanish would not be a problem here for your husband if he worked as a chef; I also have friends who are entrepreneural amd have started their own small businesses. The environment in the Rincon areas is delightful, stimulating, friendly, and safe. There are many places to rent here for reasonable prices. The aforementioned is the "rosey" party. People who move here go through ups and downs about their decision. The Puerto Rican culture is real different than what you're used to in the USA. I like it very much but if you don't then you'll be out of here.

I recommend that your family visit first (whether it's Rincon or some other place that interests you). Get a sense of how you like it. Talk to people (a really easy thing to do in Rincon), your husband can visit prospective employers while he is here.

My wife and will be in Rincon this July and August; if you visit then we would be more than glad to show youy around and introduce you to people.

I can also arrange for you to talk/email people that have moved there. If you want to contact me please use my email: [email protected]

Wish you luck. It's an adventure!