Retiring in Pattaya

Hello everyone,
My Partner and I are actually living in Switzerland and planning to live in South Pattaya or Jomtien soon. We would like to find something like a condo for monthly rent in this area. The monthly incomming money 85'000 THB, anybody can tell us what would cost living in this area including everything, means condo rental, health insurance, food, motorbike and all that.    Is it possible to have good life in Thailand with this monthly amount?
Thanks for your advise.

Marcel & Pracha

Hello, Yes you can have a good life on this amount of money if you do not have any bad habits!

:) Thanks

Sarcem wrote:

Hello everyone,
My Partner and I are actually living in Switzerland and planning to live in South Pattaya or Jomtien soon. We would like to find something like a condo for monthly rent in this area. The monthly incomming money 85'000 THB, anybody can tell us what would cost living in this area including everything, means condo rental, health insurance, food, motorbike and all that.    Is it possible to have good life in Thailand with this monthly amount?
Thanks for your advise.

Marcel & Pracha

Marcel
The amount of income you state could well be adequate for a couple. It's all about tastes/lifestyle really and location. You don't mention your ages but the health insurance might be the deal breaker. It can be quite expense the older we get here in Thailand.

Have you considered another location in Thailand? Costs can be a lot lower away from the main tourist/expat enclaves. For example my wife and I rarely spend more than 40,000 Baht a month all in so we live very comfortably on a similar income to you. With plenty tucked away for a rainy day.

One thing many don't consider when planning a move here is exchange rates if your income is sourced outside Thailand. When I first moved here they were 65 Baht = 1 GBP now its 55 but it has been as low as 43!!

There is a fair bit of info here on the blog about specific costs if you search around.

Sarcem wrote:

Hello everyone,
Thanks for your advise.

Marcel & Pracha

Hello Marcel and Pracha,

About cost of living, have a look at this forum " Cost of living in Thailand – 2015 ": https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 91#2379340

For a couple it will be enough to live on this income, but it always depends on your style life if you go out a lot for drink, if you eat in restaurant for tourists, your hobbies like playing golf, if you like to eat western food, wine or imported food from your country, if you have to travel back to your country many times per year to see children, grand children, etc...

The financial requirement to get retirement visa is 65,000 THB per month, even you are a couple, you are above this requirement and can live very comfortable, but don't spend more than a third of your income in rental !!

You talk about motorbike, but if you never drive one in switzerland my advice will be to avoid it here as the road are dangerous and many killed per year, a brand new car can be quite costly, depend again if manufactured in Thailand or imported, but honestly it will be the best.

You can check the link below for cost of some items in Pattaya.

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/ci … ty=Pattaya

You can have a very decent life with that money... but if u like to go out at night,  I would advise u not to spend more than 15000 to 20000 on your rent.  Practically,  it means you should rent a house rather than an apartment.  Peter

now is a buyers market
a renters market
1000's of rooms empty
if you lock in long term you can get a good deal but suggest you rent as some idiot might have a karaoke next door and this will destroy your dream
i suggest you also make agreements with your partner as Thailand is a man's paradise

remember the Chess play.
One night in Bangkok makes a hard man crumble
and a relationship will be under great strain due to the sirens that roam the streets here
good luck and PM me if you need more

Yes, a renter market more than a buyer one. The Thai Baht is expected to go down to 38-39 to the Dollar in a couple of months. As to buying, the real estate bubble has still to burst...

actually its a glut not a bubble
a bubble is where to many are chasing to few properties artificially driving up the price
here now there is a glut and many projects may not get finished let alone sold
caveat emptor

Hi Peter,

Do you meen rent a house is cheaper than an apartment ?

BR

Marcel

Thanks alot

BR
Marcel

Unless you really want to be right in the city, I would suggest checking out places to rent  over on the dark side. i.e. East of Sukhumvit Highway. Much more peaceful over there. Look for Siam Country Club and Mabprachan Lake.

Thanks, I think your right

Hi, I live and own a condo in Jomtiem Beach area in Pattaya; but now I am traveling to India for 4 to 6 month. 85,000 THB come to $2,400 USD. This is the bare minimum that the government with allow you to retire on in Thailand.  Also you would need to have at lease 800,000 THB in the back there. Now there at agents there that will help you get a retirement visa that is good for the first years; then you can renew it for 5-years after that. Agent fee vary; so you should ask other retired people who the recommend.

Moderated by Priscilla 8 years ago
Reason : Message edited - please post in the housing section

For the (incorrectly called) retirement visa ANY of the following apply:

Bank Account showing THB 800,000
    Monthly income of at least THB 65,000
    Combination (Bank Account + Income x 12 = THB 800,000)

This is for each person, however if one is under 50 you may be able to get a dependent visa for the younger person thus removing the financial requirement for the 2nd person.

Anything I write here is only to the best of my knowledge and obviously  you must do your own research.

Yes,  definitely. Maybe i should add that most houses for rent are not very recent. Another inconvenient of houses over apartments is that, of course, u may have less view.  Also,  some people feel less secure in houses.  But i would definitely advise you to consider renting a house.

theres no such things as a retirement visa
you get a NON O visa and an extension of stay every 12 months if you meet the requirements
of money in the bank
or pension
or a combination of both

buying a house is always in a company name a you are a foreigner
you need 3 share holders, accounts kept, etc.
etc.etc.

buying a condo if in the foreign quota 49% you can buy and own out right

personally I like condos as a better view and no mosquitoes - maintenance is paid once a year and the management takes care of things

do your homework and you will do OK