Hi all... questions about italy

Hi there guys :)

my husband and I are two kiwis currently living in australia.  We are looking to live and work in Italy for 12 months in 2011.  We have just a few questions for those who are living in Italy at the moment (or who have recently been)...

whats the cost of living like? 

any suggested areas to live that is fairly cheap but still a city?

what is the job market like?

We are thinking we might just go to italy and start looking for work around teaching english... How easy is it to make a living on teaching english in italy?... does anyone do this???  do you need a TEFL or TSOL certificate to do this?  Can you suggest any private language schools that may be interested in hiring two university educated english speaking people for this??

Would love to hear your answers guys :)

Welcome to Expat-blog, pita-aroha :)

Hope that you get a reply soon from members about the lifestyle in Italy.

Regards,
Sheetul

Hi Pita-aroha,

Welcome to the forum. We are American and recently relocated to Italy. We live in a small town, and rents here are 400-600 euros for a nice furnished one or two bedroom place. I'm not sure how big of a city you want. One thing that I've noticed about Italy (as opposed to the U.S.- never been to Australia), is that even a relatively small city (say pop. 15,000-25,000, which is TINY in California, where we come from) feels a lot bigger than a corresponding-sized city in the U.S. At least where we live, any town that size has a beautiful historic center and plenty of reasonable shopping options. As a starting point, you might look on subito.it for ballpark rent figures in areas you're considering (it's a sort of Italian version of craigslist).

The general consensus around here is that the job market in Italy is fairly bad . . . Are you looking for a company that will give you a work visa (as you can't work here without one unless you have European citizenship)? It may be difficult to find that if you want temporary jobs teaching English. I'm told that the easiest way to come over and live in Italy is to get a study visa. I don't think you can work on a study visa, though.

Good luck! Italy is a lovely place to live.

Warm regards,
Sarah

Read about our Italian adventures on my blog:
Casteluzzo.blogspot.com