I'm new to the forum so I wanted to say hello to everyone!

Hey guys, I've seen this site a few times when I've done searches for expat communities outside the USA so I thought that I would at least join and see what all information you could share with a complete newbie.

I'm retired ex-military and seriously thinking of moving to Peru or Brazil permanently, but I'm not sure what the process would be beyond getting my passport. No, I've not done a search yet, but I will soon. Hopefully someone else's already asked the questions I'm going to.

What is the process for staying in Brazil or Peru permanently, and maybe even getting a dual citizenship?
How hard is it to purchase agriculture land as a foreigner?
Since I'll be making this move as a single are there credible dating agencies for foreigners seeking a wife from another country?

Thanks
Leon

http://i1320.photobucket.com/albums/u531/wjwoodward/BANNER_zps3602e73e.jpg

Hello Leon,

On behalf of everybody here at Expat-blog, welcome on board. I hope your participation here will be both enjoyable and informative.

While I can't speak for Peru, which I understand from an ex-Marine buddy of mine, is a really nice place to visit I can tell you that Brazil is a great place to if you can adapt to the high crime rate, and follow all of the safety tips to keep yourself out of harm's way. I've been here over 13 years, knock on wood, without incident so far.

You can obtain a VIPER Permanent Visa for Retirement, for yourself and up to 2 dependents here if you've got the ability to transfer into a Brazilian bank account (existing or to be set up) in your name the equivalent of R$2000 (just under USD $700) per month . (Additional dependents R$1000 per month each).

You would be required to provide the following documentation:

Certified copies of your passports (all pages)
Birth Certificates / Marriage Certificates to prove degree of relationship
Clear criminal record check (FBI or State - done by fingerprint check)
Proof of residence in the jurisdiction of the Consulado-Geral do Brasil in the jurisdiction where you apply
Declaration from the pension paying agency as to the monthly amount that would be transferred (in USD)
Declaration from the US bank that the local legislation permits the transfer of pension benefit payments to a foreign account
Proof/Declaration from the pension paying organization that you are retired
Proof of your ability to transfer R$2000 per month for yourself and 2 dependents (max.) and R$1000 per month for each additional dependent.
Proof of dependency (spouse, minor children)

Just remember that as a US citizen you're going to have to continue to file an annual 1040 Income Tax Return with the IRS every year, regardless of where you live in the world. You would also be required to report to them any Brazilian sourced income as part of your "Worldwide Income". THERE IS NO bilateral Income Tax Treaty between the USA and Brazil.

Also Brazilian banks that also operate in the USA are required to report account information for US citizens directly to the IRS under the Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act - FATCA   and Foreign Bank Account Reporting - FBAR provisions.

Cheers,
James    Expat-blog Experts Team

I'm soon to be ex-military and moving to Brazil with family in December. My wife and kids are dual citizens so fairly easy for me to get permanent resident. As for the crime, I have spent some significant time in Brazil most recently May/June and crime is not that bad compared to 2004 (my 1st trip). Just be careful and don't go to bad places. As for your military health benefits...you can forget that. Huge pain, better off having a PCM in states and get a check up when you visit. I purchased health care insurance in Brazil and it's not that bad of a price. If you stick with Tricare Standard Overseas you pay out of pocket everything and submit for payment minus deductible. As I get into the process of getting myself down there I will know more. Shipping goods in October.

its a great place Brazil, and I found the processes for most things here very easy,
all you need is  "He who knows everything ""James""", and I see he's found you, and then your made,
Peter in Iguaba Grande RJ

Better watch it Pete, you're going to give me a swelled head with compliments like that!  :lol:

They're usually great for the EGO, but not always so good for the CHARACTER.

Cheers,
James

Hi there James,
        your worth every complement and more,
you save loads, of people "time and money" with the information you give out "free"
so from every one needs help,, Thank you, and keep up there good work
Peter in Iguaba Grande RJ